Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing wool clothing

Posted by gina_w (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 15:57

I don't wear a lot of wool, being in Southern California, but I have a few cashmere and merino wool sweaters. I got 2 tiny holes in 2 sweaters over the weekend! So mad. I have cedar blocks hanging in the closet, and I don't want to stink up the closet with herbs, etc. So, can I store the sweaters in plastic bags or do they need to breathe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing wool clothing

Go ahead and bag them. Make sure they are cleaned first. Fold with layers of plain white tissue and place in the bag. Ziploc makes lovely HUGE bags that are perfect for this. I found some at Target.

o

Thanks! I've got to take care of this immediately, so I'm bagging all woolens tonight!

o

If the moths have left eggs behind, you need to dry clean or launder them first or freeze them to kill the eggs, the larvae eat your woolens. Make sure they are cleaned of any food (no implication that you a messy eater!) which will also attract critters to your clothes.

As an aside: I have had poor luck with dry cleaning mohair and similar knits. The cleaners ruin the fibers with either the chemicals or the heat. Better to use a mild shampoo. Cashmere and wool seem to be fine at the cleaners.

o

I hand-wash or use the gentle wash cycle, then lay them flat on towels on the guest bed to dry, even the cashmere.

o

I wash cashmere...
I just found a cashmere sweater in a drawer that I forgot to bag.....
I sure hope it's OK!! Because it's my fave!
Never thought of freezing....gotta remember that one!

o

I can't tell you how many things I have lost to moths -- and yet I never see a moth. Worst was TWO beautiful camel hair coats. I did try putting things out in the garage for a few freezing nights last winter. Guess that won't work for you.

o

Ditto, ditto, DITTO! I bag all of my sweaters and cedar blocks do nothing. Try mothballs in a closed space or if you can't stand the smell, use freshly dried lavender.
I bought mine from here--

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavender Farm

o

I found an empty plastic zip storage bag that a blanket came in, and it fits all my woolens, so in they went with some tissue paper.

o

Those are perfect.

o

I thought about this post today. When I was at work today I thought I saw something on my shoulder. When I looked closer -- it was a moth hole!! One of my co-workers uses lavendar to keep them away.

o

I've been reading about storing wool yarn and it was recommended to 1) wash with baby shampoo or lavender liquid detergent and 2) store in zipper plastic bags with discs of cedar to keep away moths.

o

Putting them in cotton pillowcases (obviously, you close the end) works well, too, and has the added advantage of allowing the fibers within to breath. (Maybe not a big consideration where you live, but I learned the hard way in KY not to use plastic to store clothing.) The lavender also works. The scent confuses and repels moths. Pennyroyal, bay leaves, and eucalyptus also work, but don't smell nearly as good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here