SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Staying sane with food over the holidays

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

I got this from the Calorie Count Web site today and I just had to share it. I know a lot of us are trying to make it through the holidays without putting on a lot of weight so I hope you'll like it as much as I do. If I could manage the first two steps for instinctive eating I'd consider myself a success.

Holiday Recipe for Overeating

By Michelle May, M.D.

Recipe for Overeating

Ingredients:

1 batch, bag, box, or large plate of food

2 tablespoons of deprivation

1 heaping teaspoon of guilt

Sprinkle of shame

Optional: fatigue, stress, resentment, loneliness, boredom

Directions:

1. Run yourself down physically by not sleeping, exercising, eating when you're hungry, or consuming nutritious foods. Alternatively, wear yourself out by working too hard, being all things to all people, and trying to make everything perfect.

2. Place emotions on medium-high. Cover and simmer; do not allow steam to escape.

3. When you crave something you love, remind yourself that it's bad, fattening, or high in carbs.

When your cravings grow stronger, tell yourself that you're bad for wanting bad food.

4. Wait until an influential person such as your grandmother or co-worker insists you eat that food anyway to please them. Alternatively, sneak the food when no one is watching.

5. Sit down in front of the T.V. or choose another activity to distract yourself while you eat.

6. Before eating, garnish the food with guilt. If it's still enjoyable, stir in some shame to ensure that the food is completely ruined.

7. Eat as quickly as possible to avoid tasting or enjoying the food.

8. You're done when you feel sick and uncomfortable.

Repeat steps 1-8 until can't stand it anymore.

Try the Recipe for Instinctive Eating.

Recipe for Instinctive Eating

Ingredients:

1 or 2 servings of food you love

2 tablespoons of hunger

1 heaping teaspoon each of intention and attention

1 overflowing cup of gratitude for the abundance of food we have so readily available to us.

Sprinkle of trust

Optional: pleasure, enjoyment, celebration, tradition

Directions:

1. Care for yourself physically by getting adequate sleep, exercise, and nutrition.

2. Create a self-care buffer zone by regularly nurturing your body, mind, heart, and spirit.

3. When you're hungry, consider what you want, what you need, and what you have to eat before choosing food.

4. Decide how you want to feel when you're finished eating; serve yourself accordingly (or adjust the portion if someone else served you).

5. When the food you crave isn't particularly healthful, omit all guilt and shame. Remind yourself that all foods fit when you practice balance, variety, and moderation.

6. Sit down to eat and minimize distractions.

7. Savor the appearance, aromas, textures, and flavors as you eat.

8. Eat slowly and mindfully for maximal enjoyment from every bite.

9. Stop when you feel content and energetic.

Repeat steps 1-9 for the remainder of your life.

Comments (10)