Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your favorite old black and white movies?

Posted by natesgramma (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 19, 09 at 11:20

I am a child of the 50's but love the older movies. I wrapped presents yesterday while watching Alice Adams with Kathrine Hepburn and this morning while I completely rearrange my kitchen, I am looking for a good B&W. Would love to see a good Clark Gable/Carole Lombard movie, and anything with Cary Grant.

I grew up watching Shirley Temple reruns, and remember the first time I saw the colorized version of "The boy with green hair" and I was so disappointed.

I feel younger when watching the old movies, a bit of nostalgia during the holidays I guess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your favorite old black and white movies?

I love them all, but am especially fond of anything with Jimmy Stewart.

TCM is one of my very favorite channels. There is so much crap on TV these days, it's really nice to have those old movies to enjoy.

Linda

o

The Awful Truth is maybe the best of the classic screwball comedies. Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.
Grant and Dunne are also great in My Favorite Wife.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith, with Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery. A Hitchcock comedy!
My Man Godfrey, Carole Lombard and William Powell.
Lombard's also fine in Nothing Sacred.

Besides Irene Dunne and Carole Lombard, I like Myrna Loy a lot too. Everyone knows the Thin Man movies with William Powell. Lots of others are good too. Wife vs. Secretary has Myrna starring with Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, and a very young Jimmy Stewart.
For holiday movies, I love Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life and also Loretta Young and Clark Gable in The Bishop's Wife.

o

Anything by Preston Sturges.

o

I like most all I've ever seen but my all time favorite is

"Imitation of Life" (1934) written by Fannie Hurst. I really don't like the color version (1959) of this movie.

o

I love "The Enchanted Cottage" in b/w, with Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire.

o

Riverrat, I agree completely. The 1934 "Imitation of Life" is far superior.

o

Except for cooking,news (politics), science, history and decorating shows I watch TMC almost exclusively. Few days go by that I don't watch at least one movie that I've recorded off of TMC.

I think my three favorite movies are:

GWTW
Anthony Adverse
Captains Courageous

AFter that I have many that I like and in no particular order:

The Sound of Music
Now Voyager
Mr. Skeffington
Mrs. Parkington
Charade
Soldier of Fortune
Back Street
Imitation of Life
Where Love Has Gone
Roman Holiday
Wait Until Dark
The Third Man
I Am A Fugitive From a Chain Gang

I'm sure there are many more that I really liked, just can't think of them all. The old ones are definitely the best. I rarely watch anything made after 1960.

Beverly

o

A couple of weeks ago I watched Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert in "It Happened One Night". I really enjoyed it.
Lois

o

I loved watching the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies and the Blondie and Dagwood movies as a kid. My mom and dad bought me a 12 inch black and white t.v.(a Sharp t.v. that was still working fine when I donated it to a radio station I worked at (wwj in Detroit) as a kid when I was twelve and I would stay awake until the early morning hours watching these movies. I would love to see them again.

o

Natesgramma we had a discussion about old movies back in Nov. you might enjoy. I got a lot of ideas from that thread. I too love old movies, and since I can watch many of them on demand from Netflix on my computer, I am gradually working my way through the classics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Older Movies

o

I too, loved watching those Shirley Temple movies. Another show that I would love to see again is 'The Little Rascals'. It used to be on I think Saturday mornings.

These are not movies, but more TV shows I would like to see again.
Queen for a Day, I would always watch this with my grandma
Twilight Zone
Roy Rodgers
Lassie

o

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is my favorite Black and White movie.

o

I like Casablanca and Dinner at Eight. Born Yesterday is pretty good too, and Too Kill a Mockingbird. Yankee Doodle Dandy is great fun.

o

Ah, one very important one I forgot. One of my top favorites - Les Miserables.

Beverly

o

I loved the original Little Rascals, and also Shirley Temple. Other than that, I have seen very few old movies. GWTW, Wait Until Dark, Shenandoah. I have never even seen It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th, Casablanca.

o

I love the Shirley Temple movies, especially the Little Princess. I also enjoy the original Little Women with Katherine Hepburn. As for shows, I will watch any I Love Lucy episode, I started watching that show when I was 10 years old.
I am a huge fan of the musical Oklahoma, too. I have seen it more times than I can remember. I was even singing the Fringe on Top song the other night when I was overtired and sewing/knitting last minute Christmas gifts.

o

My favorite B&W movie is The Women, directed by George Cukor, 1939. Oklahoma, as I recall, was in color. I tried to watch it recently, since I had recorded it on DVR, but 30 minutes of it was all I could bear. I'm not a fan of musicals, however, except really off-beat ones like Help!. GWTW was in color also.

Other B&W movies I like include Night of the Iguana, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Suddenly Last Summer, The Rose Tattoo, Hunchback of Notre Dame (with Anthony Quinn and Gina Lolabrigida), Bringing up Baby, The Day The Earth Stood Still, It Came From Outer Space, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Citizen Kane. These probably aren't your taste, but they are old and B&W! In L.A., any movie that is more than 10 years old is considered old.

Lars

o

It is true Lars, Oklahoma is definatly in color, Technicolor I believe, but I do love it for whatever odd reason. When others were talking about the movies they've enjoyed I couldn't help but think of that one. I also like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...that is B&W.
OH MY GOSH, I love, love, love the movie Help! (especially the scene where they sing You've Got to Hide Your Love Away) and A Hard Day's Night. But then again, I love the Beatles too.

Once again off topic,sorry, have you had the chance to see the LOVE show in Las Vegas? It is absolutely the most beautiful show I have ever seen, I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

o

Arsenic & Old Lace

Gaslight

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Seventh Seal

The Best Years of Our Lives

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Stagecoach

Run Silent, Run Deep

Young Frankenstein

o

I know Casa Blanca has been mentioned, and it's one of, if not the greatest movies ever made, but what about some of the other old Bogart movies, such as Key Largo, which introduced the very young (but older than her years) Lauren Bacall, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and others? There's also some great Tracey and Hepburn movies, such as Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib, and countless others. Speaking of Hepburn, there's Philadelphia Story, and going way back, there's Little Women.
Philadelphia Story is one of those movies I could watch over and over, which I have.

Sally

o
RE: What are your favorite old black and white movies? correction

It was To Have and Have Not that introduced Lauren Bacall, not Key Largo. I got them mixed up. To Have and Have Not is the one where she teaches Bogart to whistle. (I think).

Sally

o

Yes, it's To Have and Have Not.
She says,
You know how to whistle, don't you Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.

After she leaves the room he does a wolf whistle.

They fell in love while filming that movie and it shows.

o

I like To Have and Have Not that introduced Lauren Bacall, not Key Largo.

Here is a link that might be useful: watch Fringe online

o

Arsenic & Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story, Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House ---- and The Birds! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here