SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Cataract surgery follow up

dedtired
12 years ago

Okay, I had my second eye done yesterday. Glad to have that behind me. I want to report back because so many of you were so helpful to me beforehand.

After much agonized decision making, I went with the standard lenses rather than the newer multi-focal ReStor lenses. Everyone I talked to who had the standard lens was pleased with the result. Most people -- but not all! -- were happy with the ReStor.

I ended up with a lens for distance in one eye and a lens that allows me to read closer in the other eye. I'm still adjusting to it. So far it has been nice to see very well at both distances. I would need reading glasses for the phone book or when I am reading up close for a longtime. This morning I wrote out some remaining Christmas cards and did not wear glasses at all. However, my distance vision with both eyes is not as sharp as it is when I only look through the right (Distance only) eye. Still, it is more than acceptable.

I will eventually have bifocal glasses to give me very sharp distance and near vision. Most of the time I won't need them. I don't mind wearing glasses since I've worn them since age 10.

It is very strange to get up in the morning and not put on glasses. I am typing this without glasses, although it's a bit fuzzy.

The procedure itself wasn't bad at all. Absolutely no pain or discomfort. I was a little woozy from the sedation. The doc did a laser procedure on my eye with the astigmatism to correct that. It was like watching a laser light show and was over in less than a minute.

On the day of the surgeries I went home and slept most of the day.

So now I have to adjust to my new vision and I can tell that it will be fine. The eye I had done yesterday is still settling in. I get funny flashes of light, kind of like a light bulb as it is burning out. It flickers. The first eye did that, too, but now it has stopped. I guess it will be a few weeks before I have my final result.

Thanks for all your feedback and support. It was so helpful, and I hope my story will help anyone else who will be getting "new eyes" soon.

Comments (9)