SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakemayor

Do you like Pampered Chef Products?

lakemayor
13 years ago

I've been invited to a Pampered Chef party on Wednesday. I haven't been to a party in 20 years.

So do you like their products? Do you think they are over priced for the quality?

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question. I didn't think it seemed like it belonged on the regular CF forum.

Karen

Comments (41)

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

I've heard that almost everything they sell is available under other brand names for less money.

Me, I refuse to go to any "party" where money is expected to change hands.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I also just hate "parties" that are only held for the purpose of selling things. I'm sorry, that is NOT a party, and it goes for Tupperware, cookware, food items, home decor, crystal, jewelry, candles, whatever.

I've had a couple of Pampered Chef items that were cheaply made, like the oil mister and the pizza stone. Amanda still has an old Pampered Chef chopper, though, and she loves it, so maybe like everything else, older was better.

Annie

• Related Discussions

Pampered Chef

Q

Comments (11)
    I don't know about their cookware, but my SIL gave me one of their choppers for Christmas one year, and I really like to use it when I have a lot to chop at one time! I had tried a similar chopper from Sur La Table (this was years ago, though) but I ended up returning it because it was more trouble to use and clean than I thought it was worth. The Pampered Chef version of the chopper is very easy to use and to clean -- it pulls apart easily, rinses easily, and is easy to put together again once it is dry. For small jobs, a knife is easier to use and clean, obviously, but if you are doing a dish with lots of fine dicing etc, it is a real time-saver...and kinda fun, too. Oh yeah...when my dd damaged one of the parts by putting it into the dishwasher, I was able to get a replacement part easily (not cheaply, lol, but easily!) So, sorry, no help on the cookware, but I can heartily recommend their chopper...
    ...See More

Pampered Chef Cheese Knife

Q

Comments (7)
    But you can't shave cheese with it. Even DH tried it and it doesn't work. You can't hold it in your left hand and shave with the right hand. You can shave across the top of the cheese but you have to shave from right to left which is awkward and not safe because there's no place to hold the cheese while shaving it. You're shaving toward your hand. Weird.
    ...See More

Pampered Chef...

Q

Comments (27)
    Yep, that's how I do it! I don't turn it, just let it cook. Be sure you use a stone that has sides on it! Mostly I use the bar stone, but I have used the 9 x 13 or what ever size that one is, when I've had more bacon than room, and wanted it done all at once, instead of spending an hour making bacon. I usually don't save my bacon grease. If it's not a lot, I'll soak up as much as I can with paper towels. I can usually get all of it with them. Then just hot water and a scraper to clean it. I do a lot of bacon in the summer and put it in zip locks in the freezer for camping. I cook it done, but not as crisp as we like it, then warm it in a pan at camp. Works great! It also is a great way to season your stones, as long as they have sides. Never do it on a pizza stone or the flat rectangular stone. The grease will run off into your oven. For those, make refrigerator bisquits, or be sure you grease them before you use them. Either works. By the way, DS went to the local vocational school for baking and pastry. They used commercial baking pans there, but he is collecting the stones (mostly Christmas gifts!) because he likes them better. Tami
    ...See More

Pampered Chef stones

Q

Comments (21)
    I'm not talking about a frozen pizza arcy, I'm talking about a hand made pizza. I thought a stone was supposed to be hot for a pizza...what's the point of using a stone if it's cold? I guess I should just start a "how do you use a pizza stone?" thread! I guess I'll just go and google it though. EDIT: OK so I'm not sure what others are talking about but in about a 2 minute's time of google searching..I found directions of using a stone for pizza. It clearly states that you put the stone in a COLD oven and you heat it to whatever temp, they suggest 500 degrees for pizza...then you put your pizza dough and toppings onto the stone and bake. It goes on to say to NEVER put a cold stone into a hot oven. So I think that probably all this confusion about how to use a stone is most likely why people are giving bad reviews. If you are putting a cold stone into your hot oven, it will likely crack...you know...the science in high school thing and all...
    ...See More
  • lindac
    13 years ago

I won't "do" pampered chef...I won't go to multi level marketing parties, nor will I buy stuff at a "party".
    Some of the PC stuff is pretty good...knives for example, but way over priced....and all of their gadgets are available elsewhere for about half the cost.
    Do you really think that there are some manufacturers that are making stuff and selling it exclusively to Pampered Chef? Really?
    If you expect me to buy something to get coffee and cookies at your house....we are not friends.
    Linda C

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

The party thing doesn't bother me. I have been to a few PC parties and purchased a couple of things. Some I really like, others....not so much.

I have the garlic press, a "scooper", food chopper, bamboo spoons and a batter bowl. They are all very nice and I use them often. Was not impressed with their egg slicer, tho.

And I still consider people that invite me to "party plan" things my friends.

Linda

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

I am not fond of Pampered Chef products. I know some people that love them. I have many friends and co-workers that invite me to these types of parties. They are still my friends, but I do not go to the parties.

Personally, I think the products are over priced for the quality. But I have not been to one of the parties for at least 10 years so I can't speak for the current products.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I agree that they are overpriced for the most part.
    That said, I love the batter bowls. I have three!
    Mostly the fact that they are heavy glass and come with a lid.
    I've never baked in mine, but you can.
    I use them for soaking beans, making yogurt, pancake batter, mixing up any number of things. I store leftover soup, gravy, etc. and it can be reheated right in the bowl.
    Fridge to microwave, dishwasher safe. I have a pizza stone too and use it fairly frequently to bake, uh, pizza! And bread.

I don't "do" parties. I'll order on occasion from a catalog, usually when there's a fund raiser for a good cause involved. That goes for all the home party plan stuff. I buy very little.

Deanna

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I have a few products I really like. The aforementioned batter bowl with lid (really more of top than a lid as it is not at all tight) is a favorite. I have a mini whisk I like a lot. And the bread knife is perfect for my biscotti. It is thin and sharp. I bought a new one not long ago and keep it tucked away for use only on biscotti. I bought numerous bread knives is my quest to slice biscotti. This one is perfect.

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on the batter bowels. I do need at least one of those.

I bought a knife and knife sharpener at the party about 20 years ago. I love the knife sharpener. I don't think they make that kind any longer and it's really getting worn. At least I don't see it in the catalog.

Besides their pizza pan, what about their stone baking pans? Does anyone use them?

Karen

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

I have a lot of pampered chef products, and like them. I do think you can find similar product for less $$, but I have fun at the sales shows/"parties". I do not have any of the stone baking pans... but I love my chopper! (I've probably had it for over 15 years). I like my prep bowls with lids, too...

• lindac
    13 years ago

I have a stone ware baking pan...I don't think it works any better than a glass one....but I do like the homey look.
    I use an electric knife for cutting biscotti.

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Linda, I bought an electric knife for my biscotti because you use one, I made a mess! (Cheap electric knife?) And kept on in my quest. I like this knife because it is thin yet strong.

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I attended one of the parties a year or 2 ago. It was given by someone Alice knew. I knew I wanted to replace my old PC bread knife so I went along. I would have been perfectly happy thumbing through the catalog and writing a check but sat through a "cooking" lesson from the PC cookbook. I was not wowed by the recipes. They were sort of semi-homemade. We did them in teams. Eh. All of it not my thing! I did win the knife and sharper set (still in the box somewhere in a cupboard). I should send it to Alice. Alice bought a decorating kit and a cookie press. We still haven't used the cookie press. I think I'll try it for some holiday cookies.

It could be fun. They didn't serve wine or I might have written an even bigger check!

• jessyf
    13 years ago

I own and use the mandoline. DH is frightened of it since it has taken a bit of his fingertip from him.

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

My SIL sells PC, but I've never bought anything from her. She's given me a few products as Christmas gifts, though. The pizza stone being one of them. I love the stone. I bought another square stone from one of the expensive cooking stores (William Sonoma or something like it), and it's so porous, it's very hard to clean. So it spends it's life on the bottom of my oven as an oven stone. The PC pizza stone works quite well for pizza, but just one pizza at a time. The other thing she gave me is a salad spinner. For some reason, it doesn't seem to dry the lettuce or whatever very well. But my old one wore out, so I've been using this one, which I've about worn out, too.

I don't do sales parties, either, by the way. I just plain hate them.

Sally

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

I went to one once about 5 years ago. It seems that they stress convenience foods as a way of cooking.....pop and bake crescent rolls and that type of thing.

I bought the stoneware muffin pan for Mom for Christmas, and the rectangular baking pan for myself. Mom had no interest in using the muffin baker, as she loves her metal ones, so she gave it for me to use. The "benefit" of these is that you don't get the crusty tops and edges. Hmmph, I LIKE those parts.

Anyway, I do use it for popovers and it works fine. The baker I just recently started to use it for my scalloped potatoes and it works great for that as well.

They are very expensive though. I'm not planning on buying anything else. Oh, I did buy their garlic press several years ago from a friend, and it works great, except I don't really like using a press for garlic. It was good quality and cost about $25 then. I gave it away on FreeCycle.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

For those who like the batter bowls, I have to tell you that I bought a pyrex batter bowl with a lid for less than $10 at Marshall's. Made in the USA, clear, 2 quart, oven/microwave/dishwasher/freezer safe.

I don't know what PC charges.

Annie

• susie_que
    13 years ago

My dear pal sells PC and if I have trouble finding work I may join her.

I like everything I have from PC.
    I've been to a few parties over the years...they are ok-no biggie.

I also have the stone...had it forever!
    I own the chopper but truth be told my son uses it more than I do...it works well though.
    I also have the pizza wheel and the wave cutter.
    The spices are good...the cinnimon sprinkle over warm oatmeal is great!

Usually when someone has a party its because they have their eye on something they want/need. I've promised my friend I would have a party here but there just isn't anything I need or want right now.

Cheers!
    Susie

• KatieC
    13 years ago

I've known a lot of women who have tried to make it doing home parties, so I have a fair collection of PC (and tupperware and home interiors and one piece of cheaply made nightwear).

I really like the garlic press and the mini muffin pan (I've gotten rid of most of my nonstick, but this pan has weathered well), and the big stoneware bar pan. I have a chopper that I've used for years, but now everyone makes them...and a lot cheaper.

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

I love the cookie press! If you have problems with your hands,this is the cookie press for you. Very easy to use. In fact, I should get it out to use this year for Christmas cookies. I also have a number of the stones. I use the bar stone all the time for bacon in the oven. I have 2 of the rectangular bakers and the covered baker. Use that all the time for my stuffed pork chops. I also have the chopper, really like it, but usually end up doing it by hand if it's just a little onion. Or it gets hidden and I forget I have it.

Don't sell it, but have been to a number of parties. The last one was just before they started having the guests help with the cooking. Probably 2 years ago.

Tami

• party_music50
    12 years ago

I was just invited to a Pampered Chef party by a male co-worker who is a PC 'dealer'/'seller' (whatever the term is). I looked at the PC website and didn't see a thing I'd want that I didn't already have -- and all the while was thinking how expensive everything was.

He's a fun guy and we talk food all the time -- and I so seldom get invited ANYWHERE that I'd like to go for the party. lol! But is it best to tell him straight up that I have no intentions of buying anything, so therefore won't attend?

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

I'd refuse the invitation, personally, because I'd be massively uncomfortable 'faking it' at the fake party. Ask him if you can get together some other time.

Sure, tell him why, too. He'll tell you that it's okay not to buy. Just depends on your personal level of discomfort in the situation.

Friends don't invite friends to sales "parties".

• lowspark
    12 years ago

I'm sure he will tell you it's fine to come and not buy. That's what people always say in those situations. And I've been to one, maybe two, of those buying parties and not bought. But I felt pretty uncomfortable not buying. Not that anyone deliberately put me on the spot or made me feel bad, certainly NOT the host. But I just felt out of place. The purpose of the party is to sell stuff. If I'm not going to buy, and I know it, I don't go (anymore).

However, if you feel you're not going to be uncomfortable, you should go. Why not! You'll get a chance to socialize a little bit, maybe with people who enjoy cooking, like you, and you'll get out of the house. Go for it.

One thing, though, if you really really don't want to buy, don't even TAKE your checkbook. Because people who sell stuff like this can be pretty convincing. That's the reason they always say it's fine to come regardless of your plan to buy or not. If you don't mind being talked into something, go ahead and bring it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

besides, you might've missed something when you looked online. He might have something you didn't see and don't have a way to get otherwise? Well, it could happen.

:)

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

My first experience with PC was a low pressure sales pitch years ago. The faux cooking class stepped up the pressure, at least for me.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

I don't generally have an issue with "sales parties". In my experience (both hosting and attending) it's more about getting together with friends. If you see something you like, go for it. If not, don't buy anything.

I have never felt pressured to buying something at a party, and I have never had an issue with anyone not buying at a party I was hosting.

I have several PC products, and although they can be a bit on the pricey side, I like the quality.

Linda

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I jut don't like sales parties and so I don't go and my friends know that and don't usually invite me. Chrystal used to still ask me to the Partylites things she threw, she was just sure that one day I'd learn that I had been living without something really wonderful, LOL, plus she just liked to bake fancy cookies and snacks and sit around with coffee and talk. I never really felt pressured to buy from her, although I did at some of those Home Decorator things and crystal parties. Ugh.

Everyone knows that I've had two house fires and don't burn candles, I don't decorate, I don't care for color. I'm not buying kitchen stuff because if I don't have it, Elery does. I don't wear jewelry and no one has a party where you buy cattle or fence, LOL. I won't even go into the lingerie parties and the thought of picking out my underwear in the presence of a group of friends. Yeah....

I do have a couple of pampered Chef items which I don't care for. The chopper doesn't work all that well, things stick in it and the oil sprayer worked for about a week, quit working. They promptly replaced it and it worked for about a week. After three, I got the chopper instead. And that's the last item I bought from Pampered Chef.

Annie

• party_music50
    12 years ago

wow, I didn't expect so many responses! and all different! LOL!

When he showed up for work this morning he immediately asked if I'd be coming to the party (Friday, after work). I went with my knee-jerk response and said I wouldn't buy anything because I don't need anything and therefore shouldn't attend. He responded: "that's alright, come anyway!". A minute later he was saying I could buy their spices. lol!

He originally said he'd be doing a 2 hour cooking demonstration, then turn it into a regular "party" w/ a bonfire, etc.... now he's paring it down to about an hour cooking demo. He also mentioned he doesn't want everyone in his house, so he's setting up in his garage and cooking on the grill. Then he suggested I could bring something to eat. :O)

I'm a lot like Annie in the "don't decorate, don't burn candles, don't do the 'normal thing'" department. I'd rather use my 6" chef knife than buy another special-purpose gadget or appliance that I have no room for or desire to use. I'm lucky that I haven't been invited to any of these sales "parties" before.

My sister says she loves PC and that I should buy their julienne cutter. :)

Thanks for all the good replies. He did mention today that if he doesn't get enough people to come he'll just cancel the whole thing. I have no idea how many he expects.

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Though I felt the "cooking demo" ramped up the pressure, I had intended to purchase anyway. (See above.) I still would have been happier just writing a check. Not that I don't like a good party! But this wasn't neither good nor a party. I didn't know a soul. It sounds like you will know people there so it could be fun.

About the spices, I do like the cinnamon mix they have. It's got a bit of this and that in it. And the big roll of parchment paper lasted a long time. All of these things would be cheaper elsewhere, of course.

• party_music50
    12 years ago

barnmom, I don't think I will know anyone there! I don't actually work with this guy -- I just happen to sit next to him. We work for different companies and are located in the same 'on site' lab, but he's been working there for years and I was transferred to this location in June.

The weather may now dictate... we'll see how much pressure he applies today. lol!

• lowspark
    12 years ago

he doesn't want everyone in his house, so he's setting up in his garage and cooking on the grill. Then he suggested I could bring something to eat. :O)

AND buy stuff you don't want? Hmmm.... Doesn't sound like that great of a party to me. But heck, what do I know? Sorry but the whole "I don't want everyone in my house" thing really bugs me. I mean, if he wants to have a backyard bbq that's dandy! But actually saying he doesn't want people in his house but he does want them to buy stuff, oh, and bring extra food while you're at it. I'm not lovin this.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Lowspark, I was thinking the exact same thing. Starting to sound a bit creepy to me.

• Bizzo
    12 years ago

While I do like some of their stuff, I no longer feel guilty not buying. And the cooking demo is well described by barnmom, a "faux" cooking class.

For this one, If you like the people at the party, go. If you don't, don't. Don't worry that it's a "Sales" party... then you can decide for yourself how you want to respond to future invitations...

(OBTW, I hate candle parties, home decorating parties, crystal, and tupperware parties. Candles, home decor, crystal, some of the home-jewelry - I don't like what's being sold, for tupperware, I can get it cheaper elsewhere - but I apply my rule, above, if I like the people I go, if I don't want to hang with them, I don't)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I agree....if you are trying to sell me something it's not a party....and I don't go even if I like the people who invited me. I have gone to too many Longaberger basket parties and Lia Sophia, and....and.
    I don't consider it entertaining in any way to listen to a sales pitch....or to look at stuff I really don't want and try to be interested for the sake of being polite.
    And to get back to the original question....sort of...LOL!
    Two years ago last Spring I got talked into a Pampered Chef Party for the benefit of the church kitchen....so naturally I had to buy something....one of those hamburger mushers. The party was full of "sweet young things" who rarely really cooked for their family and about once a year helped with a meal in the church kitchen. They insisted we have a can opener which no one can work ( doesn't work on institutional cans at all) 3 knives in their little sheathe to keep them sharp....well one has rusted because it was put back wet and all are very dull because they are used to chop on a glass cutting board. There is also ANOTHER lettuce spinner because someone thought we needed 2, and that dumb hamburger smasher. Someone did buy us 10 of those small wooden tongs which are wonderful for sticky bars and such....but the rest was expensive junk that we didn't need.
    No, I don't like PC products. They are too expensive and kitchey, for what they cost. Go to a commercial kitchen supply store and have a party with your friends without any sales pitch and bad cooking demo. You'll save money and have more fun...AND get better products.
    Just my feelings.
    Linda C

• party_music50
    12 years ago

I agree that it's not sounding much like a party, and I didn't even mention the part about him not allowing shoes to be worn in his house. lol! I saw him very little today so there was nothing more said about it. I think I'll be able to quietly slip under the radar on this one. :O)

LindaC, unfortunately there aren't any kitchen supply stores in the area! Maybe that's why PC is [successfully] sold around here?

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Not kitchen supply, but restaurant supply. There's a big difference. Restaurant supply stores are in industrial/warehouse neighborhoods, so you might need to check the phone book.

• lindac
    12 years ago

You don't need a store.....there's the whole world on the internet!

I also don't go to anyone's house that don't allow shoes....even if I want to take them off...
    Not to start another subject, but I am NOT going to a party and leaving my shoes at the door!

Here is a link that might be useful: Food service wares

• lori316
    12 years ago

I don't wear jewelry and no one has a party where you buy cattle or fence, LOL. I won't even go into the lingerie parties and the thought of picking out my underwear in the presence of a group of friends. Yeah....

Annie, you pulled me back out of lurkdom for that one! LOL Love ya!

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Linda, this brought to mind the thread about shoes that wouldn't die! I think this is it.

It was even continued.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/entertain/msg1219353512052.html

Personally, I'd love to have everyone park their shoes at my door but I know it's impractical and very OCD seeming. And I have a large dog who would make all human efforts null and void. Sigh, I'm just a lazy housekeeper. I settle for a good door mat.

Back to the party. Unless you are desperate for company, it sounds very skippable!

Thankfully I am rarely invited to these things. I was recently invited to a "party" for the purpose of promoting and selling some really expensive weight loss and nutritional products called Vi. It was given by a good friend. I showed up thinking I'd have a nice visit and a snack and buy a bottle of vitamins or something. There was a video presentation and high pressure motivational talk (I hate that crap!) and then order forms were passed out. You couldn't just order a sample. The form was set up as a subscription and required a credit card number. Not a chance am I filling out a paper for a stranger with all my credit card info to subscribe to a weight loss product. As it happened I hadn't brought my card with me. I quietly slipped out the door and went home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoes off!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lori. Next time I need underwear, wanna go along? (grin)

Annie

• party_music50
    12 years ago

The closest restaurant supply store is more than an hour drive from me and the internet is at my fingertips. I LOVE the internet! It saves me from almost ever having to go to a store! :)

I'm one of the ones that's extremely unhappy when people ask me to remove my shoes in their house. Those are the same people who put their shoed-feet up on my coffee table. They also smoke like a chimney in my house, but don't allow smoking in their own. Obviously a sore subject for many people. lol!

barnmom, that video presentation would have been enough to make me slip out. :)

And, Annie, I'll bet that lingerie selling party would do much better if it were co-ed. lol!

I'm escaping the PC party tonight by simply having taken a couple days off from work -- and I had good reason to do so, so I don't feel bad at all.

• annie1971
    12 years ago

You were wise to escape the PC party. The only one I will ever attend dedicated 45 minutes to sales pressure for becoming a PC sales person! Then there was a demonstration for making some kind of glop with 3 ingredients (pop and cake mix and something else that has thankfully escaped by elderly memory) in a slow cooker. The worst part is I bought some aluminum baking sheets -- the worst ever. The nasty things peeled and chipped off like cheap jewelry; pitted, rusted and got trashed within a few weeks. Never again.
    Our labs steal any shoe they can pounce on, so shoe removal is discouraged here; as far as smokers in my house -- like the sign says "if you're smokin in here, you had better be on fire"!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio