Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find great bedding?

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 17:46

When I watch some of the decorating shows they always seem to find the most gorgeous bedding ensembles (and for cheap, too! LOL)

I am going to redecorate my master bed & bath and so far the bedding I have found is over the top ruffly, or ultra modern (read: huge dots and such), or frou-frou flowery.

I have looked in local department stores as well as online at Macy's, Overstock, BB&B, and several othe linen places that came up on a google search.

I am just looking for something nice, not over the top, not space-age, and with some color!

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find great bedding?

o

I've gotten most of my bedding from Bloomingdale's when they have their Home sale. The quilt on my bed is by Barbara Barry. Her line is gorgeous, usually understated.

For less expensive items, I've seen some great brands on sale at TJ Maxx.

o

TJ Maxx!

o

Pottery Barn is my favorite medium priced bedding place to shop. I am a true fan!
Horchow is my favorite high priced place to ogle.

TJMaxx has nice things but it's often hard to find enough coordinating pieces: shams in Euro and standard, bed skirts (if needed), sheets.

o

I've ordered from Linen Source and was pleased.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linen Source

o

I guess I am not about matchy matchy shams and skirts etc....but for sheets, comforters and pillowcases, I think TJ's is not to be beat...if you know your stuff.
And if you do like all the matchy stuff, you can buy what you can at TJ's and the rest where you can find it...
And rememeber, you can return stuff to TJ's...

o

Restoration Hardware--either their stores or their outlets. Have you tried Kohls?

o

I'll look into the links provided, thank you.

I never think to check TJ Maxx or Marshall's, thanks for that, too. I have not been in one for years, will have to do a "store locator" search to find one within a reasonable distance!

Maybe if I would drag my sorry butt into a mall I would have some luck. But is it worth it to a mall hater like me? Hmm........

Linda

o

Sometimes when I go to the mall I just go into an entrance that takes you directly into a store. So, I can walk into Bloomie's or Lord & Taylor without having to deal with the mall itself. However, there's no avoiding the parking lot!

Good luck with your search.

o

Oh, I feel for you! I'm trying to find a king-sized bedspread (hate making the bed with a bedskirt!). Just a contemporary, colorful bedspread. I'll probably have to have it make at one of the local job shops. Hate malls, too!!

o

I like the Vera Wang pillows I got at Kohls. I went there to buy a pie pan, but they didn't have the size/shape I wanted. Here Kohls is in an outdoor minimall next door to a Trader Joe's, and so it's pretty convenient. The drug store I use is a few doors down as well.

I would caution against buying sheets at a street fair. I did that a couple of years ago, and while they were 600 count, they were polyester instead of cotton as labeled, and so I threw them out after one washing.

Lars

o

I spent two days doing nothing but looking for specific (color) bedding. I went to:

• Tuesday Morning
  • TJMaxx
  • Marshalls
  • Kohls
  • JCPenney
  • Stein Mart
  • Dillards
  • Macys
  • Ross
  • Belks

All had great bedding sets but not what I had to have! Excessive I know. Not that I'm recommending this to you but I FINALLY found what I needed at Goodwill!

•  o

Well, Cathy we do have Goodwill stores, I think the nearest one is about 45 minutes away. Maybe I'll head down there one day soon!

Love your list and I am envious that you have so many options. We have many of those, but no Steinmart, Dillards, Ross or Belks. I wish we did have some of those stores nearby.

I used to really like Linens & Things....too bad they are all closed.

Linda

o

Another place you could try is Anna's Linen's. They have stores in most states, I think.

Lars

o

Lars, they have some really nice stuff, thanks!

I found a set on the Herberger's website and ordered it over the weekend. Got a fantastic deal too!

I will definitely be saving the Anna's Linens link for when we finish the spare room in the basement! There are a couple on the site that would do nicely!

Linda

o

Does anyone order from the Company Store?

We don't have this store up here in Canada, but they have such fun patterns that I've been tempted to place an order from them on many occasions, yet never have.

I'm nervous because taxes, shipping and duty costs usually kill any bargain by the time it's shipped up here from the States.

Can anyone speak to their quality?

o

We used to have a couple of their stores here in MN, but they are all gone. Looks like they only have 3 storefronts now and they ae all in WI.

I haven't shopped there in years, but their quality was always very good! I have several of their feather/down pillows, and in the past had one of their down comforters. Very nice, all of them.

Linda

o

I feel your pain. I have a comforter I love and can't find any drapes/curtains to go with it so I decided I would just get another entire set with matching drapes. I can't believe what is out there. Huge florals are back in and the rest seem to be like you say, huge circles or some other nonsense. And I dare anyone to find a nice set in Cobalt blue. Haven't been able to find that in many years. I've tried on line, numerous stores and can't find anything I like. The best I've found so far is when I googled "Croscil."

I have found some very nice sheet sets at Tuesday Mornings from time to time.

o

All my down comforters are from The Company Store, and they've been great quality and lasted for many years...

o

I'm not sure if you're still looking, but I just ordered some amazing stuff from Aletta Smit. The thing I liked the most is that you can actually custom design your own, and it didn't break the bank. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aletta Smit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here