SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Too many fund-raisers!

doucanoe
11 years ago

Where does one draw the line? My neighbor's 11 year old daughter goes to a private parochial school and is also involved in 4H.

Every year both of these organizations have fund-raisers....lots of them. A couple of weeks ago she came over selling Holiday wreaths for one group and assorted frozen cookie dough items for another. I ask her what the funds are used for and she never has an answer (I know....she's only 11, but you'd think they would give these kids a little bit of background on what they are selling and why).

So now I get an e-mail from the mom telling me they are selling discount books and fruit and cheese for a couple more fund raisers. I told her I would have to pass on this one, money is tight with me only working part-time (not to mention I just "donated" over $60 for wreaths less than 3 weeks ago. Plus I don't care to spend $20 a pound for cheap tasteless cheese! LOL))

Seriously, this kid is selling something different every 3-4 weeks. Most of it is stuff I don't need/use and I would rather just give her a check as a donation, but I always get something to support the cause....whatever it is.

Am I just being crotchety? I don't mind supporting the kids and their schools, but this just seems like fund-raiser overkill. I suppose I should consider myself fortunate that she is the only kid in my neighborhood and I don't have 4 or five of them knocking on my door!

Am I somewhat obligated to buy from her every single time? I don't want to hurt their feelings but I also can't afford to shell out $50-75 a month for all of these fund-raising activities. I joke with her that she costs me more than my own kids did!

Linda

Comments (15)