SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Cataract surgery -- need to make a decision

dedtired
12 years ago

I know we talked about this over the summer when Sooz was making a decision about cataract surgery, and now it's my turn.

I am going to have cataract surgery on both eyes in December. I knew it was coming and frankly my night vision has gotten bad, so I am glad to have it done.

I have to decide whether to have the standard intraocular lens (IOL) implanted or go with the Restor lens.

The standard lens is entirely covered by insurance and gives you good distance vision, but I'd need reading glasses for close up and possibly for mid distance. This means I'd need readers for reading, computer, price tags, call id, etc.

The Restor lenses give you vision without glasses at all (or barely ever). Downsides are possible "halos" at night, and needing more light in low light situations, like reading the menu at a candlelit table. They would also cost me $4500 out of pocket. That is not my biggest concern because I do believe in investing in quality of life, although it is still a consideration. If I were 84, I might not opt for the expensive choice, but I am 64 and I hope I have a lot of years of vision ahead. By the way, this is not monofocal lenses (one eye for distance and one for near).

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has had cataract surgery and find out what option you chose and why. Are you happy with your decision? Tell me anything and everything about your experience.

Sooz, how are you doing? Thanks all.

Comments (25)