SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

What a difference a day makes!

doucanoe
11 years ago

Wednesday was sunny and in the low 6o's temp wise. An all around gorgeous fall day. Had a fire out back that evening and only needed a light jacket.

Yesterday morning was nice, sunny, mild. Around 3pm the $#@ hit the fan! Left my mom's early to beat the bad weather home as the snow started coming down fast and furious!

This morning there was about 1/2" on the ground and it was windy as all heck. I left for work....got two miles and found the roads were glare ice. Came to a stop sign and found myself unable to stop and having to decide which to hit, the car in front of me, the stop sign or the ditch! Just when i was bracing for impact, my car came to a stop, less than a foot from the car in front of me!

I turned around and came home, called in to work letting them know that I was not going to make it in. I have a 40 mile commute. Just wasn't gonna do it!

How's the weather where you are?

Linda

Comments (14)

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Oh Linda, that is so scary! I'm glad you are safe. I had to drive in ice once (from Detroit to Midland) and hadn't a clue how to drive safely, boy was I scared.

I just posted on another thread that these won't be in my yard much longer as it's getting cool here.

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Cruel photo Cathy! We had the 60+ temps yesterday too but at 4 pm the weather change came in. Pouring rain and by this morning it was in the 30's, going to 23 tonight. Froze my *ss off this morning at 6 am going to the Home Despot for pointsetia's and wreaths. Add the biting wind and I am glad my decorations went up last weekend.

Smart move Linda, heading back home.

This post was edited by pkramer on Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 13:26

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Editing double post. If this works it's so cool.

This post was edited by mustangs on Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 13:37

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cathy you are a wicked, wicked woman! It's just not fair that you still have flowers and all I have left is....well....stems!

Linda

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

At 3pm today it was 30F with blowing snow but yesterday was nice and in the 60's. We are under a winter weather advisory until 6am Sat. Not expecting a lot of snow but there is about 1/2" on the deck already and I can't see across the lake.

Linda, sorry you had a scare but glad you are safe.

I decided it was a good day to clean the oven, no Black Friday shopping for me.

Nancy

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Today was glorious - sunny and in the mid 60's. Saturday and Sunday the high is only going to get up to mid 40's.

I see a soup in my future!

Teresa

• lindac
    11 years ago

I'm in Chicago.....freezing my a$$ off....went down town for dinner.
    YesterdaY WAS NO COAT DAY.....

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahahahaha....only in the Midwest! Shorts and T shirt today, Parka and Uggs tomorrow....

Ah well.....winter is finally here. Let's hope we have a mild one.

Linda

• Lars
    11 years ago

Thanksgiving day was fantastic - in the mid 70s and sunny, and then this morning (Friday) the fog came in and stayed all day and kept the temperatures down to the upper 60s. It's supposed to be 81 degrees tomorrow, and so one day does make a dramatic difference. I need to paint my new kitchen door tomorrow, and so I will be getting up early for that. I'm concerned about leaving an empty doorway from the outdoors to the kitchen for an extended period of time, and so I plan to set a lot of mouse traps. Mice only get in when doors are left open.

Lars

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Fabulous weather on Thanksgiving and also on Friday. On T-day, there were loads of people out walking, biking and running. It was delightful. Yesterday was pretty much the same. Today, Saturday, is sunny, chilly and windy. It's 39F at the moment, going up to 43. It has been a mild fall, with the exception of a hurricane. One side of my house is very protected and the geraniums in the window box are still blooming. I didn't bother with mums this year because I my annuals were still blooming. A cold snap did get the impatiens, though. I hope we have another mild winter, like last year.

• User
    11 years ago

Thursday and Friday were beautiful here in central Maryland, just needed a light jacket. But last night it all changed. The wind howled all night, even a few trees down in the neighborhood, and it's FREEZING today and will stay in the 40's for the next week.

My SIL and grandson are headed to State College, PA for a football game. Many layers, hats, scarves, mittens, gloves, hand warmers, foot warmers, face warmers, etc. And they'll still be cold. It's snowing up there today. As they say, perfect day for a football game!

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

It was sunny and 70 yesterday in Central Coast CA. Today it is suppose to hit 75. Beautiful weather for working outside in the garden. Still have roses blooming.
    Clare

• annie1992
    11 years ago

It was in the 60s here on Thanksgiving too, the kids were outside playing without jackets. Friday it turned colder and last night it snowed. We got some gale force winds on Lake Michigan, causing the surfers to come out. They're nuts.....

60MPH winds actually blew a house down, although there were extenuating circumstances. It was in the process of being renovated and somehow just blew in half. I guess it'll need some more renovation now! The wind kicked up enough beach sand that it closed some roads until the crews could clear them and there was the usual flooding of homes along the lakeshore, that was kind of surprising since the lake level was so low this year because of the drought. I think most everyone has power back now and the wind has died down, so it's the normal November stuff.

I did finally plug in the tank heater at the farm, it's below freezing every night and I don't think we'll have another warm up to speak of. I caved in and pulled the bok choy yesterday for kimchi.

yes, I think winter is sneaking up on us....

Annie

• Lars
    11 years ago

I thought I had posted a photo here of the senecio flowers I have blooming, which look like daisies. I've had the senecio plant for over two years and was growing it just for the leaves, and so I was very pleasantly surprised when it started blooming. Several other succulents have started blooming, and two cymbidiums have put out several new spikes, in addition to another orchid that I cannot quite identify. The spike it put out looks like a bromeliad, but the plant looks like an oncidium or dendrobium. It might be a hybrid.

We finished hanging our new kitchen door today - yesterday we did the priming and today we did the final top coats. Kevin said he was very happy to be rid of the doggy door, as am I, but I am especially happy because the old door was rotting from the outside. It looks like we also need to replace the outside threshold. I should have had Derek do that when he was installing the new door.

Lars