SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Great (older) movies?

teresa_nc7
14 years ago

Last night I enjoyed one of my favorite movies, The Reivers, starring Steve McQueen, Mitch Vogel, Will Geer, and a wonderful cast of extras. I have not seen this period, coming of age film in many years, but I still enjoy it even though I know the story. And...I found new moments in the film that I had forgotten or didn't notice before. If you like the era of the early 1900's and a good rollicking story, you will like this movie from 1969. It also won a number of awards, which I did not know about.

Tell me about some of your favorite old movies and why they are your favorites.

Teresa

Comments (31)

• sheshebop
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I loved Jeremiah Johnson, with Robert Redford. It is fairly little-known, and never made a big splash at all. It was very low-key, and not an action movie at all, but Roger and I both enjoyed it so much.
    Another we both loved was The Sting. A super movie.
    Sherry

• jessyf
    14 years ago

"The Lion in Winter". Not only a terrific battle of wills between Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole, but also young Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton - both in their early film careers. Holiday dysfunctional family intrigue at its best. (Henry II vs. Eleanor of Aquitaine, 1100s)

"Well? what shall we hang? The holly, or each other?"

• Related Discussions

Great movie

Q

Comments (7)
    I loved the part where the ant is farming aphids and attacks a lady bug. Then he goes and milks the aphids for the honeydew. Or, how about those two huge beetles going at it over some territory? The weirdest bit was all those caterpillars moving in a line on the dirt and then ending up in a big mound. What the heck were they doing?
    ...See More

What are your favorite old black and white movies?

Q

Comments (24)
    My favorite B&W movie is The Women, directed by George Cukor, 1939. Oklahoma, as I recall, was in color. I tried to watch it recently, since I had recorded it on DVR, but 30 minutes of it was all I could bear. I'm not a fan of musicals, however, except really off-beat ones like Help!. GWTW was in color also. Other B&W movies I like include Night of the Iguana, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Suddenly Last Summer, The Rose Tattoo, Hunchback of Notre Dame (with Anthony Quinn and Gina Lolabrigida), Bringing up Baby, The Day The Earth Stood Still, It Came From Outer Space, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Citizen Kane. These probably aren't your taste, but they are old and B&W! In L.A., any movie that is more than 10 years old is considered old. Lars
    ...See More

Great Blog of Stylish Older Women

Q

Comments (3)
    Love love love all the ladies and their 'tude! Sometimes the coming-of-age gives a real sense of self~~gotta love 'em!! Now if I could only learn to like bright colors! ;o)
    ...See More

A great movie recommendation

Q

Comments (12)
    No...at the end of the movie it said that she continues to look for her son.....I looked it up online too after I watched the movie because this left me wondering if he was ever found..dead or alive. I read that he was never found. It was such a good movie it left me wanting to know more...in the movie they didn't mention the Gordon's mother helped kill these boys....that was something I found onoine too. Really a good movie, very intense, you can just feel her frustration.
    ...See More
  • sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I saw The Reivers years ago, and loved it too. It would be fun to see it again.

Actually, one movie that might have been made around the late 60's, but I'm not sure, was Fiddler On The Roof. I think that has to be my favorite musical, and one of my all time favorite movies. I know, I know, it's a musical, which scares a lot of people off, but I was raised on musicals, and that's one of the best. It had an interesting story about relationships - between family members, between Tevye and his God, and, of course, Tevye's struggle to hold onto traditional ways of doing things, rather than accept inevitable change.

Speaking of Paul Newman movies, another one I'd like to see again is Cool Hand Luke. My family, DH and I still find ourselves exclaiming "What we have here is a failure to communicate!" when we're not getting through to someone.

It's hard to remember what all I like from that moving making time period. It's funny, just this morning DH and I were talking about how hard it is to narrow down what our favorite movie or book is, if we were to be asked.

Sally

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

When you talk about old movies I always remember Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in "Mr. Blandings builds his Dream House".
    I never stop laughing at or loving that old movie.
    I know there are more but at the moment that one pops into my mind.

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Oh and I pressed submit before I could add Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez in "The Long Long Trailer". Another loveable comedy.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House is a good one! I love the part where Myrna Loy's character describes the paint samples to the painters.

I'll have to get The Long Long Trailer from Netflix as I don't remember too much about that one.

The Egg and I is fun too - with the debut of Ma and Pa Kettle.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Totally fascinating topic for me Teresa! I only get PBS on my TV with no cable, so I spend most of my "tube" time watching movies on Netflix. I have made it my business to try and watch many of the old classics, although these days I don't have much tolerance for melodrama, (too much like my real life) so I am sadly behind in that domain.

My favorite old movie is "All About Eve" with Betty Davis and a host of other famous and excellent actors. It's the dialog in that movie, few can match it. Also the tragedy in the story of aging career gal Margo Channing really speaks to me. Same writer also wrote "The Women" which is a very interesting movie, although culturally somewhat dated. Great cast though--Joan Crawford and Rosalind Russell, who steals the movie. Speaking of Rosalind, I LOVE watching her in "Auntie Mame."

As far as romances, "Roman Holiday" has got to me one of the most romantic films ever made, due largely to the chemistry between Peck and Hepburn, and also great scenery. All time most fantastic onscreen kiss. Speaking of incredible onscreen kisses, a very overlooked "The More the Merrier" is also a favorite. Dated, but still the cast is so very talented it makes up for a lot, and the chemistry between Jean Aurther and Joel McCrea is very good, and it too has one heck of an onscreen kiss, which also happens to be one of the most hilarious performances by a movie comedienne ever recorded. Ms. Aurther is of course also great in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" which I also enjoy, although it is the epitome of schmalz. Rounding out my choices for oldies but goodies in the romantic genre, "Two For the Road" which is actually from the late 60's, but a fascinatingly modern look at love, romance and marriage starring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney. Also worth it just to see Audrey in some great outfits! "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is also worth the watch to see two totally miscast actors (Hepburn and Peppard) turn that movie into an amazing statement of onscreen charisma. Another oldie but goodie is "Houseboat" which should be seen just to see what all the fuss was about Sophia Loren. A low key masterpiece, "The Apartment" with Jack Lemon and Shirley McLaine, and "Irma LaDouce" which is a fluffier rematch.

Great old movies from the 60's and 70's--"Little Big Man," "The Graduate," "Harold and Maude" "Rosemary's Baby," "A Man Called Horse," (Can you tell I like those Indian themed films) and Mel Brooks comedies. "Love With a Proper Stranger" for iconic performances by Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood. He's also good in the original "Thomas Crown Affair" although the film, other than his toys and Faye Dunaways's outfits, is pretty poor. There's also "Love Story" which is kind of iconic although fairly cheesy. "Cabaret
    won the Oscar for best film, and is better on film than on stage.

For drama, "Grapes of Wrath" although that one is hard to watch it's so intense. Also love "Twelve Angry Men" also starring James Fonda. Speaking of Fonda's, Jane's Oscar winning performance in "Klute" is also a really good character study film. Donald Sutherland is no slouch either.

A lot of Redford and Newman's old movies are great, they were box office gold in their day and starred in some of the most stylish movies of their era--"Barefoot in the Park," "Three Days of the Condor" (that one's a hoot just to ponder how far we have come in such a short time with "state of the art" technology), and one I just saw last week, "This Property Is Condemmed" which is from a play by Tennessee Williams (I normally can't stomach T. Williams for two whole hours, but Natalie Wood and Redford are great onscreen together.) I adore "Cool Hand Luke" although that one too is awfully intense, as is "The Hustler." That reminds me of another "intense" movie starring George C. Scott--"Dr. Strangelove" which also features and amazing performance by Peter Sellers. Favorites of me and my dad include "Dr. Zhivago" and "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Gary Cooper is also riveting in "High Noon" which you should see if you haven't already. Also "To Kill a Mockingbird" just because it is another iconic performance by Gregory Peck and the whole cast. Another great male performance and comment on the emerging "free love" culture in London, "Alfie" (the old one, not the sellout new one).

Oh yeah, I forgot a couple of Liz Taylor greats--"Suddenly Last Summer" and "Giant."

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lots of favorites in your listing, lpink! I adore Gary Cooper -- now THERE was a man! Love "Friendly Persuasion" - will have to add that one to my Netflix queue. And it has been too long since I saw "Two for the Road" -- love the music from that movie.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Sharon, I just love those two movies, too. Last night I watched a not so old one, Fargo, and enjoyed it except it's awfully bloody. Still, some fab performances. I remember everyone was walking around saying "dontcha know" after that movie came out.

I also watched Mrs. Miniver awhile back. Lovely story of a brave family held together by a brave mom. I have taken to watching whatever is on TBS. The old movies along with the great commentary about them is a pleasure. I find so little to watch on tv these days except Mad Men -- I'm addicted to that but tonight is the last episode of the season.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

OOOh can't forget 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Robert Duvall! And there are - count 'em - six - future Star Trek actors.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

One of my all time favorite older movies is "Searching for Bobby Fischer" based on the true story of chess prodigy Josh Waitzkin. Definitely worth searching for....

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Searching for Bobby Fischer

• woodie
    14 years ago

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - sigh - so romantic. Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Linda, you're like an encyclopedia of movies! The other day I had a hard time remembering my favorite movies, especially from the '60's. You reminded me of many more, going way back further. I love Cary Grant movies. When my kids were little, of course they thought at first that a black and white movie would be boring, but we put on Bringing Up Baby, and we all laughed all the way through it. From that point on, the kids had no compunction about watching old, black and white movies. Another great Cary Grant movie is North by Northwest, which brings up Alfred Hitchcock, and his great movies. I think my favorite of his movies is Rear Window, but it's hard to single out just one.

And of course, Little Big Man, how could I forget that movie?

Steve McQueen was one of my favorites, too, but I haven't seen Love With A Proper Stranger. I'll have to look for it. I loved The Great Escape, and there was also Papillion, that also had Dustin Hoffman. Then, of course, if you're into Steve McQueen, you have to see The Blob. And yes, Cary Grant was amazing in everything he did. I loved Roman Holiday, too.

Jessy, now I'm going to have to watch To Kill A Mockingbird all over again to look for the future Star Trek actors.

Sally

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Sally - Can't wait to see who you spot. Keep in mind one of them wasn't in TOS (The Original Series) but had two prominent roles - one character in the movies and, another character in Deep Space 9.

Lemme know if you need a cheat sheet....

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Grat topic! I'm a huge fan of old movies too.

Here are some I love, some have already been mentioned above but worth repeating.

Marx Brothers films.
    I've watched them over and over and they still make me laugh out loud. Groucho has an incredible wit. Yes, they can be silly and slapstick but Groucho's wit and intelligent humor in the midst of all the hijinx is unmatched. Specifically Animal Crackers, Duck Soup (note how Groucho is wearing a different war uniform every time you see him in the war scene), A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, A Day at the Circus, Cocoanuts, Horsefeathers.

Alfred Hitchcock.
    My faves: Rear Window, North by Northwest, Notorious, Vertigo, The Man who Knew too much (the version with Jimmy Stewart), Rebecca, Dial M for Murder. Also worth seeing: The Trouble with Harry starring a young Shirley MacLaine, this film is suspenseful but also a comedy!, Lifeboat, Rope, Spellbound, and Stage Fright.

It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. This classic early romantic comedy won Best Picture for 1934.

The Women is one of my favorite films. Yes, the attitudes regarding women and divorce are dated. But the story holds up anyway simply because it's so well done. I agree that Rosalind Russell is fantastic in her role. And the fashion show is such fun to watch! They remade this film recently and did a pretty poor job of it. Skip the remake and see the original (1939).

The Shop Around the Corner is the earlier version of Youve got mail, another Meg Ryan remake. I probably would have liked the remake better had I not been so familiar with the Jimmy Stewart/Margaret Sullivan flick. In addition to the great performances, Ernst LubitschÂs attention to detail in that movie make it lots of fun to watch.

Casablanca
    #1 on my list. Need I say more?

And while weÂre on the subject of Humphrey Bogart, To Have and Have Not, Lauren BacallÂs first film on the set of which she and Bogey fell in love, and it shows. "You know how to whistle, donÂt you Steve? Just put your lips together and blow." Key Largo, The Treasure of the Siearra Madre, The Aftican Queen, The Desperate Hours, WeÂre No Angels, The Caine Mutiny.

To be or not to be starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard. Wonderful comedy which, amazingly, takes place in Poland shortly after the Nazi invasion. Can you really make a comedy in such a setting? It takes talent, but there it is! (Skip the remake with Mel Brooks. Although IÂm a big Brooks fan, again, the original canÂt be matched.)

All About Eve (mentioned above) Â what an excellent story and great performance by Bette Davis. IÂm surprised but glad this one hasnÂt been remade. ItÂs a classic.

Les Diaboliques is a French mystery made in 1955. ItÂs been remade in English but again, the original is better. Lots of plot twists and tense moments.

12 Angry Men another classic. I just recently watched 12, a remake in Russian which was done pretty well.

The Apartment, Best Picture of 1960, they donÂt make Âem like that anymore! And by that I mean, if it were made today there would be a lot of (unnecessary) graphic sex scenes. This film has all the innuendo and implications without actually showing us anything. And that makes it all the more fun to watch.

Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy
    My two faves: Desk Set and AdamÂs Rib.

My favorite musical is West Side Story.

The Manchurian Candidate is one of the few films where I liked both the original and the remake equally. Angela Lansbury does an outstanding job in the original which also stars Frank Sinatra and Janet Leigh. The remake with Denzel Washington brings the story up to date and does an excellent job of it.

The Days of Wine and Roses starring Jack Lemon and Lee Remick. What a story.

A Thousand Clowns with Jason Robards. Another well told wonderful story.

Advise and Consent - although this is an old film, I could see it being relevant today as it follows the process congress goes through trying to get a bill passed. My description doesn't sound that great but it holds your attention throughout!

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is hard to watch because it makes you so uncomfortable. But oh the performances of Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Uncomfortable or not, don't miss this one.

And I can't conclude without mentioning another all time favorite, The Graduate. I LOVE that movie!

There are lots more but IÂve listed a ton already! So, to end it, IÂm going to conclude with a film from 1990 which is not all that well known. Europa Europa tells the true story of a Jewish boy who survives the Holocaust by pretending to be a Soviet Communist and subsequently a Nazi. Despite the subject matter, itÂs funny in parts.

I have found the library to be a great resource for DVDs. I put them on hold on line and they come to my local branch. I can also renew them on line. You keep them for two weeks and it's free. Or as my sister points, out, not actually free, but already paid for (through taxes) whether or not you avail yourself of the service.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Oh Alexa, you are making me feel old at 45. A 1993 movie is not an oldie!! Although I like the movie a great deal too.
    Some "oldie" favorites:
    Gigi
    Pillow Talk
    Hombre
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Woodie, yes! Ghost and Mrs. Muir
    Little Big Man, yes! but also not really an oldie to me
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Sound Of Music, I have to list this because I love this movie
    Ben-Hur- same

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Just thought of another one that needs mentioning. If you like The Ghost and Mrs. Muir watch Gene Tierney (who played Mrs. Muir) in another good movie, Laura, a murder mystery with some good plot twists.

And LOL about what makes a movie "older". To me, an oldie is something before my time. So when someone calls something from the 90s "old" it always sort of surprises me. I mean, these are people in my relative age group. They were around in the 70s and 80s so why is 90s old? Maybe it has to do with how many really old movies (pre 60s) you've seen.

OH! And I forgot to comment on the black & white issue which Sally brought up. My kids were the same way! I had to indoctrinate them when they were young! LOL

I had to coerce them into watching b/w movies at first but they soon came to realize how much better those old movies were than today's fare. I knew I won the battle when we were in Blockbuster one day and they said, "Let's get a BLACK AND WHITE movie!"

I think that some of the restrictions in place at the time (black & white, and the morality code for example) forced them to be creative and defined the art form in ways that the freedom film makers have today has taken away.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I have seen Laura but I didn't wildly love it although I have a friend who does.
    But I loved Giant and she felt the way about that movie the way I felt about Laura. "Is it over soon?" :-)

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

The classics of the Thirties and Forties are my favorites.
    Here are some I like.
    The Awful Truth is maybe the best of the classic screwball comedies. Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.
    Grant and Dunne are also great in My Favorite Wife and Penny Serenade, but the latter will need a whole box of kleenex.
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith, with Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery. A Hitchcock comedy!
    My Man Godfrey, Carole Lombard and William Powell.
    Lombard's also fine in Nothing Sacred.
    Besides Irene Dunne and Carole Lombard, I like Myrna Loy a lot too. Everyone knows the Thin Man movies with William Powell. Lots of others are good too. Wife vs. Secretary has Myrna starring with Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, and a very young Jimmy Stewart.
    For holiday movies, I love Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life and also Loretta Young and Clark Gable in The Bishop's Wife.

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Looking at post on Mrs. Miniver reminded me of another Greer Garson movie I like, Random Harvest.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I forgot "The Shop Around the Corner" which is indeed great, and MUCH better than the disappointing "You've Got Mail" which was an excellent IDEA for a remake but just poorly executed. Too much emphasis on the big box store vs. little bookshop and not enough on the chemistry between the two leads, which is the charm of that whole movie concept. I also think that Shop Around the Corner movie was made into a musical movie version starring Judy Garland and I think Van Johnson.

I got my old movie addiction from Turner Classic movies on cable but I gave up cable due to all the commercials. They start out slow and well interspersed but towards the end you can hardly remember what movie you're watching the breaks come so frequently and for so long. That's what finally made me go over to Netflix.

I have "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" on my que. I think I saw at least part of it ages ago on TV, but worth seeing again. Lots of good melodramas and suspense movies mentioned, but like I said, I have developed a considerable intolerance for them in my old age. Last night I watched "Arsnic and Old Lace" for the first time. All I can say is the Cohen brothers weren't the first to write a really good black comedy! I find a lot of older comedies seem dated to me, but maybe that's just me. I tried to love "It Happened One Night." I didn't hate it, but the roles of women have changed so much that I cannot develop much sympathy for the women in SOME of these films. But It Happened One Night set the stage for all future guy meets gal on the road movies to come. Gable was great and Colbert too.

I guess I would consider and "old" movie any movie made before I was born or before I was old enough to watch movies, so for me, that's pre 1968. I included some 70's films in there because they are getting pretty old these days.

My usual strategy is to find an "old" actor I like and then seek out the best of his or her repertoire. (I don't think that's how you spell reperatoire). I haven't seen all of Gary Cooper's best, becasue like I said, I am avoiding some of those great melodramas like "The Pride of the Yankees" and "Sargent York" and "The Fountainhead." I saw "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" after I saw the remake with Adam Sandler, just to compare. They both have their strong and weak points, lol! I also have the remake of "The Women" in my que because I would like to see it just to compare. That's a fun exercise in itself, to see if any remake can compare to the original. I'm not sure why we can't do some of these movies right. Like I said, "You've Got Mail" had a lot of promise. But so far I can't think of one remake that was better, although I'm sure there are some. And some movies just cannot be remade, like Casablanca. The closest to a remake that's come out of that film would be Woody Allen's 70's "Play it Again Sam" which was my actual first exposure to Bogey as a kid.

Maybe the remake of "Born Yesterday" with Melanie Griffith is better than the original. I haven't seen the newer version. Again, I rented that oldie because I was not familiar with Judy Holliday and she got the Academy Award for her performance in that movie, but I found her character to be unsympathetic and there was no chemistry between her and William Holden, and he was one sexy actor! Well, that's just my opinion, obviously hundreds of people disagreed with me on that film. One of Holden's greats, IMHO was "Sunset Boulevard." Unfortuanately I was heavily influenced in my viewing of that oldie by having seen Carol Burnett's comedy sketch takeoff of it (also a classic, lol!).

I rented "Nothing Sacred" and "My Man Godfrey" to familiarize myself with Carole Lombard, whom I had seen on some PBS TV thing mentioned as one of the screen's great comediennes. Carole Lombard was quite pretty, that's for sure. Neither movie really rung my bell, particularly the blond ditz she played in "My Man Godfrey" but she was a pioneer of that screen type, so if you want to go to the original source, I guess see that before you watch Marilyn. "Nothing Sacred" is a very interesting film. Horribly dated on the one hand, (full of fascinating Depression-era details), but also strangely modern. It's about a blond ditz who becomes famous for basically no reason, (everyone thinks she's dying and she's not and anyone with half a brain could tell she wasn't) and all the people who profit from her media fame. At first I though, "Well this is totally unrealistic" but then I thought of Paris Hilton . . .

I'm just starting to get into Film Noir. Have only seen "Gilda" so far, with the GORGEOUS Rita Hayworth. Kind of a non-plot to that one, but worth renting just to watch Rita. Supposedly one of the noir classics. I hope some of the other ones have better plots, because the modern noir I saw, "Against All Odds" (because I love Jeff Bridges acting and thought it might be fun), was similarly plotless with unsympathetic characters. Maybe that's the genre's key characteristics--gorgeous albeit pathetic people doing not much of anything? Lots of sexual tension I guess.

That reminds me of another good oldie "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" starring Glenn Ford, which was the movie from which the TV show got its concept. That one has some TERRIBLY dated treatments of women, but still worth watching to see tiny Ron Howard's performance. The rest of the cast is fun to, and some of the comedy and tragedy hold up. Also fun to watch young Ron Howard in "The Music Man" which is a great old musical and one of my favorites. If you're a vocal music fan and you haven't seen Shirly Jones' musicals, get on it!! She is a great actress too, winning an Academy Award for the movie "Elmer Gantry" which is one of the Burt Lancaster films in my que.

Burt Lancaster is another "old" actor whose repertoire (sp?) I haven't made it through, even though he is a great actor. So far I've only seen his modern work as an old man, and "The Rainmaker" for his older work, which is a very fun film, also starring Kathryn Hepburn. It's about a May/Dec. romance between a spinster and a flim flam man, and is very corny and stagey in its dramatics, but that's because it is adapted from a stage play. Still was fun to watch the actors chew up the scenery in that one!

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

I remember the first time I saw "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse" and also "The Long, Long Trailer." I thought they were hilarious.

I love old movies made before 1960 the best. I liked most of the movies Ida Lupino was in.

I just saw the Spencer Tracy movie "Captains Courageous" this week and although I don't normally cry at a movie, I just boo-hoood at the end. An excellent movie!

I love "Les Miserables',"Roman Holiday","Now Voyager", "An Affair to Remember", "The Quiet Man" although I didn't care for most John Wayne movies. I also liked "Wait Until Dark", "Soldier of Fortune",sappy movies like "Where Love Has Gone", I'll Cry Tomorrow","Imitation of Life" and "By Love Possessed". I've watched Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in "Charade"over and over and I enjoy "Mrs Parkington" and also "Mr. Skeffington." I always loved Claude Rains and Edward G. Robinson although they usually played a bad guy. They did it so well.

And who could ever forget "Gone With the Wind" and "The Sound of Music."

I watch any Gregory Peck movie just to watch the man!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

On the silly side of things, I really like "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye and Angela Landsbury.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes!!! The Court Jester is the very first movie I remember seeing at a theater. My dad took me and I've never forgotten it!

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Lpink, I watch Turner Classic Movies on DirecTV all of the time and there are NO commercials duing the movies. Do you suppose your cable company was responsible for adding some? (Can they even do that?)

I love many that have already been mentioned. One that I love that was not mentioned is Cybil. I am still amazed at the performances by Sally Field and Joanne Woodward. It's kind of dark, but it's so good.

I'll second the Marx Brothers! They are hands down my all-time favorite comedies! I love that they are so freakin' silly that you don't even have to think about the humor. It's just so darn funny!

The Great Escape is another of my favorites,even tho I normally prefer comedies. Like M*A*S*H... laugh out loud funny!

There's a gazillion others, but many have already been mentioned, and there are just too many more!

Linda

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Thanks for giving me a lot of new ideas for my Netflix que!
    While I was adding "The Long, Long Trailer" I saw two other comedies that I forgot to mention: "Harvey" which is like a Depression era time capsule but still an unforgettable performance by Jimmy Stewart. I saw it as a stage play, it is such fun. Also the "Father of the Bride" series of movies, which I think the remakes of are also good. Those would be a fun set of "then and now" movies to compare. The plot description of "The Long, Long Trailer" reminded me of another one of my favorite movies, although it is an 80's film so technically doesn't count as an old enough "oldie" but it is still a fun film if you have a sarcastic sense of humor--"Lost In America." I like a lot of the films Albert Brooks is in, he has good taste picking roles and has actually written some good films, but I digress, he's still living and not that much of an "oldie."

Speaking of Ida Lupino and Bogie, one of my all time favorite movies for Bogie is "High Sierra" featuring a kick butt performance by Ms. Lupino! I saw a TV documentary years ago on Bogie and Ida Lupino was still alive and they interviewed her about working with Bogie and she gave the most complimentary description of working with him, how he helped her in scenes, particularly that last one which is a doozy. He said something like "You've got to cry, and you've got to make it believable or else I'll steal that scene" and then he gave her some ideas on what to do, etc. and it must of worked because she rocks. Anyway, ya gotta love a movie where one of the characters is a gal with a club foot named Velma.

Speaking of Velmas, a sort of fun movie is "Mildred Pierce" with bratty daughter Veda or something like that. I think it is a horribly sexist film, with strong entrepreneur Mildred Pierce getting her comeuppance, but it's still fun just for the camp value. I guess "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" is in a similar vein, but not being a fan of either Crawford or Davis I've never seen it.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, I've added a few of these to my queue also. Thanks everyone!

• amck2
    14 years ago

Most of my favorites have been listed, as well as many that I've been meaning to rent "Someday."
    Thanks for all the great reminders.

Forgot who mentioned "The Lion In Winter" but it reminded me of another period movie that I loved - "Anne Of The Thousand Days" starring Genevieve Bujold as Anne and Richard Burton as (a perfect) Henry VIII.

Another, based on the book Flowers for Algernon, is "Charly" starring Cliff Robertson & Claire Bloom. After seeing it when I was in junior high I began trying to style my hair like Claire Bloom's. She had a prominent widow's peak...I don't, LOL

Another film that always warms my heart is "Murphy's Romance" starring Sally Field & James Garner. Garner was superb in that role. So understated...so appealing. Those knowing crinkles around his eyes when he smiled. A real gentleman...Swoon...

And speaking of emulating hairstyles - "Romeo & Juliette" starring Olivia Hussey. Yes, I began ironing my hair after that one.

I really have to see "The Shop Around The Corner" because "You've Got Mail" is my favorite guilty pleasure movie that I play whenever DH travels on business. It's surprising that I never named one of our dogs Brinkley. Sometimes I watch it for the story, and other times I just tune in to the interiors and NY city shots.

• woodie
    14 years ago

Oh, amck, you made me smile - I named my cat "Charly" after Cliff Robertson - I just love that spelling of the name. I adored that movie and I have always been a Cliff Robertson fan. (We now have a little baby girl cousin in our family named "Charley" - not the same spelling but I love that name anyway :)

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

I have many but my all time favorites would be: The Quiet Man-John Wayne...White Christmas-Bing Crosby,Angels with Dirty Faces-James Cagney and and oh so many more!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

"In the Good Old Summertime" is the name of the musical version of "The Shop Around the Corner." I couldn't think of the title because it doesn't have anything to do with the plot really. But I knew it had "Summer" somehow in the title. Anyway, that version is good because Johnson and Garland are great talents and the music is fun. The trio of films would make a very fun weekend.

Romeo and Juliette I saw in a small theater in the Adirondacks one rainy afternoon in my teens. It was old even then. I bawled and bawled at the end, even though I knew how the story ended and them some. I thought Olivia Hussey was the most beautiful woman ever!! This is a must see if you have a big screen TV to do it a modicum of justice. Visually very stunning.

If you like spotting your favorite old classic actors in an epic story, try "How the West Was Won." An amazing array. Kind of like "It's a Mad, Mad World" except it's a drama more or less.