SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diinohio

What would you do?

diinohio
13 years ago

I hope this is not too long a post, but I need advice. I may not be thinking clearly because I am furious!

In August I dropped my glasses and badly scratched both lenses, I wear them from the time I get up til I go to bed. It was time for my check up anyhow so no big deal.

This is the third time I have been to this Dr. He gives a very thorough exam, takes his time and answers all my questions. I have always been pleased with the glasses I get from him.

8/18- I go for my exam, of course the Rx has changed, so I pick out new frames, they will call when they come in.

8/25- I pick up my glasses, they don't seem right but with a bit of effort I can read some small print. Was told that it will take a while to get used to the new Rx.

9/7- Went back to the Dr.'s office and told the staff that there was a problem with my left lens, it feels as if the left bi-focal is not aligned properly. No problem one of the staff can "make a small adjustment, sometimes the lenses are not seated properly".

9/15- Back in I go, again I tell them (staff) that the problem is with the left lens. The Dr. takes me back to the exam room, I repeat to him that I think the left lens is wrong. He gives me another exam, makes a slight adjustment to the Rx. and says he will order new lenses.

I go out and a different staff member has me sit down and look at her and she starts making marks on my glasses as I'm wearing them. Then takes the glasses and says they'll be back in a weeks time. I told her the Dr. said that he was ordering just the lenses. And they could be replaced by the staff when they came in. She seemed a little put out by this but didn't say anything.

9/22- The new lenses are in. I gave them the glasses and went and sat in the waiting area, chatted with a person I knew, and read people magazines thru my old scratched glasses, and just listened and watched the staff member (the different one from 9/15)interacting with other customers/patients. She seemed to be snooty and condescending to them and even had the nerve to ask an elderly woman about an obviously home made tattoo she had on her arm! Finally I looked at my watch and it had been 1 1/2 hours in the waiting room. I went to the receptionist and asked if there is a problem, she seemed embarrassed and said she thought the tech was having trouble with the machine,(I could see two staff members and the tech huddled together working on something in the back) and she would go check. I went outside to my car to make a call and smoke a cigarette (I was getting po'd), I saw the tech open the door, she looked at me then went back into the office.

I went back in and the receptionist said that there was a problem. The tech came out and said the glasses and new lenses will have to be sent back to the lab. I started to ask what the problem was when the "different staff member" interrupted and said curtly "they need to be sent to the lab, we will call when they come in".

I left-but I was fuming, so I pulled over and called the office. The tech answered, I told her who I was and that I was not very happy. That I had waited for 1 1/2 hours for what I thought was a simple fix and that I would have appreciated it if someone would have at least come over and told me that there was a problem! And that my time was every bit as valuable as theirs, that my number was in my records would she please have the Dr. call me. She replied that she did come to tell me that there was a problem but I was in my car and she wasn't going to walk over there.

The Dr. never called.

9/30- New glasses in. I was seen by the "different staff member" (now known as the Glasses Nazi by DD and I. GN for short).

I knew right away that there was still a problem with the left lens but GN said dismissively that it was a new Rx and to give it a couple of days to get used to them.

10/1- I didn't need a few days, I know the problem exists. Back to the office, asked to speak to the Dr.- "he is gone for the day, but has an opening on 10/7...or can I have him call you?".I told her yes have him call, and that I had left a message for him to call me the week before.

10/5-GN called and said "She" had a message to call me and what was the problem? I told her that it was the same problem, the left lens is wrong and I that I had been there many times and the problem still exists. She said, "I was the one that gave you the glasses on 9/30, and you said they were fine"! Now I'm mad, because she's a liar too!

I told her no, I told you they weren't right and you told me that it was a new Rx. and would take a few days to adjust to it, I didn't need a few days I knew immediatly, so I went back the next day(she,GN wasn't there) and left a message with the receptionist for the Dr. to call me.

She then tells me that there's nothing more the Dr. can do for me, he's given me two exams, replaced the lenses, what else can he do? Perhaps, I need a while to get used to no line bifocals?(My last two pair have been no line bifocals).

Maybe you are still wearing your old glasses too and not giving yourself time to adjust to the new Rx?(Hello, my old glasses are scratched and I can barely see out of them!)

Are you diabetic?(My records are right in front of you! Read them!)

She seemed to be putting everything on me.

Finally, maybe the lens is not seated properly, come in and "I" will make an adjustment for you.

Ok, if anyone has taken the time to read this long story I'm sorry that it is so long but I wanted to include the details.(My friend thinks that maybe the tech accidentally broke the new lens, and I have the same left lens in). I have trouble thinking or believing that any Dr.'s office would do this.

Now, what to do? It has been 2 months, and I still can't see properly, how ever in the exam room I can read the smallest line perfectly! It's just not translating to the glasses.

I don't like confrontation, and don't want to deal with GN or any of the other staff there. I've worked with the public for most of my adult life and I know that is not how you treat people.

The Dr. is nice and I think this problem can be resolved if I could just speak to him. Why hasn't he called me?

I have called my sister's neurological surgeon at nine o'clock on a Sunday night and been called back within the hour.

Do you think he even got my messages? Or he could be the type that doesn't like problems and lets his staff handle them. I just don't know.

DD worked as a receptionist, then trained and worked as a dental assistant to our dentist for 6 years. She's appalled, she said Dr. Pain (our name for him! We are friends too) would always return calls and dealt with any problems directly. It's his business, thus his bread and butter.

Finally, I don't have great insurance for eye care, I paid $480.00 for the glasses, my insurance paid $120.00

I don't have an extra $600.00 to go to another doctor.

Thanks for letting me rant, and any advice is welcome.

Di- who wrote this long thing with my left eye straining!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!