SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

I am not sure what to do about this...family issues

susie_que
13 years ago

Ok so you all know my mother passed away early summer.

Her death was after a LONG battle with lung issues.

My father dies 5 years ago, left her what I thought was a tidy little nestegg to live on.

After dad died my mother leaned heavily on my oldest brother to help her out with all the paperwork. I was told mom had about 60 grand to live off plus her and my dads retirement funds. Ok so thats good. At least I know she can fend for herslf for awhile.

I recall about a year after dad died, my mom talking about an account which she just discovered, but it was only a small sum of money and oldest brother was going to do some "creative investing" for her.

I was taken back! I mean oldest brother is in no way a money wiz...in debt up to his eyeballs and well I'm gonna be blunt here-NO ONE TRUSTS HIM!! But mom did. So be it.

Life goes on and I am wrapped up in moms declining health. However during this time oldest brother seemed to be doing ok for himself. He bragged over Chrustmas that year that he paid off his house, he put in a new kitchen and bath. Went on 2 cruises and bought a boat. Hmmmmm??

So I start to wonder.

Meanwhile my mom had a problem with her AC so I tell her I will take he to buy a new room unit-she says no she does not have the money. So I offer to buy her one which leads to a huge fight yadda yadda yadda....see I called her out on her trust of oldest brother and she blew me out of the water...yes my feelings were hurt so I dropped it.

(by the way she never got a new AC unit.)

So mom passes and before she is even buried, oldest brother goes out and buys a HUGE new boat!! He also met with a realtor and had her house listed again, before the funeral.

About the house...Frank and I were a little miffed at oldest brother...having just been through the buying/selling process we felt we could do a good job with moms house, however we were never even consulted and he was asking a price that was WAY overpriced!! Truth be told I am the only family member who has bought and sold a home in the last 25 yrs LOL

I placed a call to ED, our Philly realtor and he did us a favor and made an appointment to see the house on his own and called to say yup the house was overpriced....by about $80,000!!!

Its NEVER going to sell at his price, we all know that but you simply cannot tell him anything because he knows it all and he feels he has to get his price or else.

So foolish!!

So he gets middle brother on his side and even younger brother, who is currently living there to go aling with him.

So I decide I am not going to argue and just bow out-its not a fight I am ever going to win anyway.

I said simply the house is prob worth $210,000 at best and your just going to be spinning your wheels and wasting your time....to which he reponded "I don't care if it takes 3 years to sell, I am getting my asking price".

He is the executor of the will and many of you know he was also POA during moms life so I feel he's on some sort of power trip LOL!

Lets go back to this little account...Turns out its now a really nice sum of money and everyone is getting a share...COOL!!

Ok so then why did I get check number 026?? Wouldn't that mean there were 25 other checks ahead of mine??

I am number 5 in the family so if this money was never touched, shouldn't I have had check number 5??

So here is what my gut is telling me...Oldest brother discovered the account and saw how much was in it. realized the account was in both moms name and dads name and oldest brother started using the money under my dads name to "do ok for himself".

Why else would I find alias names for oldest brother when I did a backround check?? One of which he uses my dads full name??

And why would I get check number 26???

I guess I can never "prove" any of this so I just have to come to terms with it.

I an unsure how other family member will react if I speak of my concerns.

Back to the house....to prove how shady oldest brother is....he list the house with realtor. Realtor says lower the price, lower the price....oldest brother stands on his asking price. After about 3 weeks the appt stop-no one will look at the house at said asking price. After 3 months oldest brother says to the realtor "you are fired-come get your sign". But the realtor says no you signed a contract for 6 months.

So oldest brother hatches a scheme where he gets middle brother to call the realtor and the two of them discuss the house. Wham, that is a breach of contract because he talked to middle brother-you are fired come get your sign.

I mean seroiusly, I just want to move on!!

Sell the damn house so we can all get on with our lives-some with more money than others but hey...I can deal with that!! LOL!!

So what should I do??

I am so confused....I do get free legal from my job but what should I ask for?? What steps should I take??

Is there any way to track that account??

In the meantime I am doing a wonderful, acadamy award winning performance by making nicey nicey with the family and pretty much staying out of it all...for my own sanity!!

I appreciate any advice or opinions here.

SQ

Comments (13)