SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanutpeanutbutter

Have graciousness and courtesy gone out of style? (kinda long)

peanutpeanutbutter
13 years ago

I try to be flexible and gracious, but recently, I just feel as if people --all of a sudden! and in my age group too (50s) -- are taking advantage of me--or perhaps they are telling me they don't value my friendship? Let me share two recent examples.

I'm having a dinner party for 6 plus me and DH, that means that 3 invitees were asked to bring a spouse, friend or a Plus One. One guest asked if they can bring their sister in addition to their Plus One.

I responded that the dinner is only going to be set up for 8 people.

The reply I got was "That's okay, she doesn't take up much room and can sit next to me." WTH !?!?

Then I said I only ordered 8 of the special desserts, hoping she'd take the BIG HINT of what I was trying to politely have her figure out. Her reply? She can share my dessert. I said that wasn't going to work for me, and perhaps we three could go out another time, but the dinner party limit was 8 people. I could tell her nose was out of joint! I'm really not sure at this point if she will show up with her Plus One.

Then, last month, I had dinner plans with a friend to celebrate her 55th birthday. For years, it's just been a nice opportunity to treat her and catch up on things. The day before we're to meet at the restaurant, she says "Oh, I'm spending the afternoon with my daughter. You don't mind if she comes too, do you?"

What am I supposed to say without feeling like an inflexible old biddy? I actually replied that I was hoping to have the time for just the two of us (her daughter lives in the same city as she does so it's not like they don't see one another). My friend, apparently clueless or perhaps smart like a fox, said "That's okay, I'll pay for her meal."

WHAT THE @*%&$#! ?? Putting me on the spot for not only having an extra person (yes, the more the merrier, but we DO that at other times so it's not like this is the only time I am able to get together withboth of them at thesame time) when I really wanted a nice one-on-one visit, but putting me on the spot because a gracious person would have said "Oh no problem, I'll treat you both." Well, I'm not that gracious I guess.

I said maybe we can do it another time, I just wanted to spend some time just you and I. That dinner was cancelled by me saying we can reschedule the birthday dinner at another time (my so-called friend said "I already told her she could come.") and my friend has been somewhat cool to me ever since.

Have my friends lost all sense of parameters and etiquette? Are they clueless to the social nuances of my replies?? Are they telling me perhaps I value our friendship more than they do?

What can you do or say when people behave this way, and what can you say say when someone says "I hope it's okay" when it really is NOT okay and you have given every indication that it is not okay?

a kinda sad PPB

Comments (11)