SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

need a new mattress, any advice?

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

OK, I think the time has finally come for me to plunk down a few dollars on a decent mattress. I'm still sleeping on the thing that was given to me when I moved into my apartment 4 years ago.... I was grateful for it at the time, because I couldn't afford anything else and had been sleeping on an air mattress up until then... an air mattress that my cat had poked a hole in. Every night, I pumped the silly thing up, and every night, it leaked and I sank back down the floor. It was an adventure to be sure.

So anyway, I have a queen sized frame, but my mattress is just not comfortable, and it is sagging in the middle, it's just a mess! I'd like to stick with the same size I have now, but I really don't know what kind to even consider. I think I'd prefer something soft, but still supportive.... I was considering Tempurpedic, but I hear there are some cons to that memory foam stuff too.

So, since I've never shopped for a good/new mattress before, do you have any advice? What should I look for when I go the store to have a look? What should I stay away from? Should I expect the box springs to be included in the mattress price? Is removing the old mattress a standard practice when they deliver the new one? I don't know where to begin! I am, however, looking forward to better sleep when I get something new. What is an appropriate price range for something decent? I was thinking between 1000 and 1500 dollars, but I know some can cost twice that.... I don't want to go crazy, but I don't want to be a cheapskate either, I want something good this time!

Thanks for any advice you can offer, I plan to hit a few stores tomorrow and just see what's available.

Comments (13)