SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Aspirin, Tylenol, Aleve, Vicodin?

John Liu
13 years ago

What are the best OTC painkillers and for what. What should you have in the medicine cabinet and when should you take them?

I basically know of aspirin, acetominophen (Tylenol), and naproxen (Aleve). I don't really know what is best for what, and what is safer. My impression is that aspirin is for headaches, Tylenol is for fevers and flus, and Aleve is for muscle pain, though I definitely have no basis for that impression. (I have occasion to take a few of these maybe every 2 months. After reading about acetominophen overdose I am rather paranoid about taking more than a couple Tylenol a day.)

Also, what is a good but pretty safe prescription pain med? Something you can keep around, and use when something hurts quite a bit but not bad enough to go to the doctor?

For Rx painkillers, I have only ever used hydrocodone/acetominophen (Vicodin). It is a leftover prescription from some doctor visit. I used to think it was ineffective because one pill never did anything for me. But earlier this week I took two, and that worked great - pain gone and I fell asleep. However, I'm kind of scared to take two, it feels like the first step down the path of drug abuse. (I've taken like 10 Vicodin pills in my whole life and so far never more than 2 in a week - this week was 100% of my Vicodin consumption for the year.)

Comments (29)