SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

How can this be legal????

doucanoe
14 years ago

I was looking through my online bank statement this morning when I noticed a $1.25 bank charge deducted from my checking account. I called the bank to ask about it and was told it was an "Identity Theft Protection" fee. I told the woman I had never signed up for any such protection and she said they had mailed something out a couple of months ago and I would have had to "opt out" of it to avoid a monthly charge.

A couple of months ago I saw a $25 deduction from my paycheck that I didn't understand. I called payroll and was told they had sent notices about their new 403B plan and employees were required to return a form to "opt out" of the plan to avoid a monthly payroll deduction.

Now, I don't recall seeing any such info come in the mail for either of these or maybe it looked like just another piece of junk mail that I tossed. Anyway it ticks me off that they can just take my money without me signing up for a deduction! Wouldn't it be more ethical to have people "opt in" rather than "opt out"?

The bank agreed to refund my $1.25 and cancel any future deductions, but the payroll people have my $25 and will not return it! They say it's my money, but I can't have it!

Is this just a new scam to pilfer people's cash without their permission? There ain't nothin' right about this!

Linda

Comments (14)