SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Anxiety, or artery blockage?

Lars
11 years ago

I went to the doctor on Friday because I have been having semi-blackout spells, especially at 7:30 PM when I close . Wednesday I had to brace myself against the wall to keep from falling while I was becoming almost unconscious, and I felt that this was somehow not normal for simply closing the curtains. I do have to reach upwards to adjust the loops of the curtains, meaning that my hands will be above my head, but that alone should not make me black out, IMO. So on Thursday I made the appointment to see my doctor, whom I had not seen since DM's funeral.

The doctor thinks that I have been going through a lot of stress, considering the surgery I had in August coupled with the two trips to Texas and the tragedy that I am having to deal with. He did extensive tests of my blood pressure, and that has been fine, especially after my surgery, and so he thinks that my black-out spells are due to stress and anxiety. He recommended that I take Xanax in the evening to see if that would alleviate the blackouts. I told him that wasn't sure that I would want to take Xanax, since I'm not familiar with it, but I told him that I had taken Librium for similar symptoms with good results, and so he wrote me a prescription for that. I just started taking the Librium today, and so I will see if it helps stop the blackouts. If it does not, I have an appointment a week from Tuesday, and the doctor will then order scans to find out if I have any artery blockage if I am still having the spells. I have a fear that that might be the real problem, and I would want to get it treated before I have a stroke, or whatever the blockages cause. I had thought that I was going to get back to normal and be a new person after my hyperthyroidectomy, but that was not to be.

Tomorrow morning Kevin and I plan to go on a hike in the Santa Monica Mountains to see how I hold up. I have not had a good hike since my surgery, and I think I should be able to make a better go of it than when my sister and BIL were visiting and took me up the steep hike at Solstice Canyon. I want to try to find a hike that I have not been on before so that I can get to see some new scenery.

Lars

Comments (44)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Lars, sorry you are dealing with this health issue ; you definitely have been through a lot of stress. Maybe this is just the aftermath and your energy is zapped, it takes a while to get rested up, imo, after many events have dragged you down. Maybe you are expecting too much from yourself.

still a good idea to check for artery blockages, as a preventative measure.
    good luck and keep us posted.

• sally2_gw
    11 years ago

Did he do a blood test? Are you eating right? Are you drinking enough water? Getting enough rest?

I used to get dizzy whenever I held my arms above my head. If someone wanted me to hold up something to hang, I could only hold it up for a little bit before feeling dizzy. I started exercising and eating better, and I can now hold my arms over my head for longer periods of time. I don't know if there's a correlation, but I think there probably is.

I hope you get to feeling better. Give yourself time, though. Grief will be with you for however long it takes, and there's no right or wrong time. I'm glad you're seeing your doctor, and monitoring your health.

Sally

• Related Discussions

Urinary blockage...so frustrated

Q

Comments (40)
    My kitty has had obstruction problems as well. First doctor recommended the prescriptions diet as well as the be-all, end-all, as in "noting else will work." Cat didn't like the (crappy) food; he was back to the practice within 2 mos. Happily, there was a "relief" vet there covering for the bully who owned the place. He recommended extra fluids with his regular food (raw), SPRING water (distilled pulls needed minerals from the body; the minerals in spring water are NOT what cause the blockage) AND, prophylactic use of sub-q fluids, tapering down to prn. It had been more than 18 mos now and all has been well until my prescription for sub-q fluids rand out. Can't seem to find another vet who uses that philosophy and can't find the "relief" vet. I am getting worried. We're going to 6+ weeks since his last sub-q fluid administration (125ml/day for 8 days at beg of each month). Anybody know how to track down a "relief" vet in the central Florida area? Thx.
    ...See More

Heart surgery for 90 YO Mom - good idea or not?(LONG)

Q

Comments (31)
    Clare- I am so sorry that you are dealing with this especially since it's long distance. The POA and the DNR are important documents and I think all the siblings should have a copy. I'm responsible for my Father who moved in with us when my Mom died 3 years ago. He made out a new will and POA and DNR and I gave copies to both of my brothers. I didn't want any misunderstanding if something were to happen to Dad and I had to make important decisions. You mentioned surgery but you didn't say what the doctor's opinion was, what the risk factors are or how much improvement might be achieved. I think you need more information before you try to help your Mom. Exactly what surgery has been proposed? If your brother is withholding information maybe you or your sister could visit and take her on one of her appointments. Maybe you would feel better if you were able to spend some time with your Mom now. My Dad just had a pacemaker implanted. His heart was only pumping at 20% because the lower 2 chambers were not pumping in the proper rhythm. Plus his valves are worn out so half of the blood that was pumped out fell right back into the chamber. He has terrible circulation, can't walk without a walker, can only walk about 50 feet without resting, one carotid is completely blocked and the other only has 10% blood flow. He was so short of breath he couldn't dress himself. The pacemaker has made a huge difference - the shortness of breath is completely gone, his heart is in correct rhythm, his fingertips are no longer blue, he bathes and dresses himself, and his skin tone is pink again. He still can't walk far but that's because of peripheral artery disease. Mentally he is very alert, the procedure was short and fairly low risk. So it was an easy decision. However no one was in favor of more extensive surgery especially my Dad. And he is a 'ticking time bomb' but as he says 'who isn't at age 89?' I hope everything works out for you.
    ...See More

Update on my DB

Q

Comments (20)
    Tami, good to hear that all went well with your brothers bypass. My DH had 4 bypasses done at age 43. That was 25 years ago. Nine years after the first surgery, he had to have 3 of those bypasses redone. Since then, he has had 5 stents placed in heart arteries. Through all of this he has continued to live a full life. He is 68 now. A man 30 years younger would have a hard time keeping up with him. Given todays advances in medicine your brother can do very well. I am a firm believer in a heart/diabetes diet (Dh has also been diabetic for the last 10 years) and plenty of exercise.
    ...See More

Have you ever had a carotid artery partially blocked?

Q

Comments (2)
    Partially blocked could mean anything from a very thin part to much thicker. The test would have to state how thick the blockage is before worrying if my doctor was not concerned. I would be more worried about the muscles reaction to the statins since I have a friend that can no longer walk because she stayed on them too long. I will not take them because the effect my brain. I will die of something but I would like to enjoy life as much as I could before then.
    ...See More
  • centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Stress can create a lot of symptoms we don't necessarily expect like dizziness, numbness, headaches. Make sure your nutrition is good. Take some iron if you don't already. "Gentle Iron" is a good one. It doesn't cause the unpleasant side effects that other iron supplements will cause. Eat lots of leafy greens, they are good for the nervous system.

Consider meditation. 20 to 30 minutes in the quiet of the morning hours can be very helpful.

Hugs.

Eileen

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Google "iron- deficiency"

dcarch

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Well, diziness can be a sign that one's biochemistry is out of whack, but kinda hard to know why for sure. Could also be a thyroid symptom. I know it was for me. And although you HAVE been through a lot of stress and stress does cause a lot of physical symptoms, I also know that "stress" is a label doctors sometimes put on physical disorders and symptoms that are hard for them to figure out. How about diabetes? Anyway, keep and eye on this, find a doctor who is willing to look for a physical cause. Too many doctors just push the latest pill they got from the pharm. rep. that week, IMHO. Also take a look at the mix of medications you are taking, this could also affect your biochemistry. Try exercise, enough sleep, music, time with friends, exposure to nature, keeping a regular schedule, and yoga for stress relief first. All these chemicals and procudures can throw the body for a loop and it takes a while to get back on an even keel. Take care of Lars, and keep us posted!!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Oh dear, Lars, i don't know what could be causing your symptoms but I sure hope you find out and get it resolved soon.

It's not a bad idea to have the artery check up anyway, just in case. And, as laurie mentioned, check all your prescriptions to see if any of them are interacting badly with another.

Enjoy your hike and take care of yourself, I hope you're feeling healthy and serene quickly.

Annie

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We took the hike this morning to Sandstone Peak although we did not make it anywhere near the peak, due to the heat. It was 95 degrees in the shade when we stopped at the ranger station, and there was no shade after that. There was a valley view hike from the ranger station, but it went downhill first, and I was afraid I would not be able to get back up, and so we drove up to the peak hike, which was all uphill. That way the return hike would be all downhill, and this worked very well for me. I was only able to hike half a mile up the steep mountain, but I think we gained about 350 feet in elevation, which is as much as I wanted to go in such heat. I did not get out of breath or feel tired or dizzy, but the heat made my head throb, and so I had to stop frequently to cool off. I'm very intrigued by this hike but plan to return only in the dead of winter when the temps will be closer to 60 degrees. We were not that far from the ocean, but the breezes were way too intermittent.

I've been taking the Librium at 4:30 every day, and this makes me feel more normal, and my dizzy spells are not bothering me like before, but I am still not sure what is going on. I'm checking my BP frequently, at Maartje's suggestion, but it has been normal and not low. She thought that perhaps low BP was the cause of my dizziness. At this point, I cannot tell, and I still think it might be a good idea to have my arteries checked. I also think that increased exercise will help, but I don't know if that will be enough. I'm planning on turning the pergola area to an exercise area and move the table and chairs to the patio. Kevin agreed that this will be a good idea. I'll photograph the changes once I've made them.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Hike photos

• sally2_gw
    11 years ago

What a beautiful place to hike! I wondered about going up into high elevation when you're having dizzy spells, but I'm glad you didn't have any.

I'll be thinking of you today, Lars.

Sally

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

Hi Lars. I think your doc is smoking somethin'. This is a common event among older people, and is most commonly caused by dehydration, anemia, or a side-affect of a med you are taking. Although there are other causes - those are the most common and most obvious.

It's called orthostatic hypotension. The blood pools in the lower extremeties. Have your doc give you the simple blood pressure tests - sitting, then standing. Make sure you are not iron-deficient. (Eat some calves liver each week.) If it is OH - quiz your doctor about all the meds you are currently taking to see if any of them could cause it.

Please don't take more meds unless there is a real need for it. I hate docs that hand out prescription meds like candy just because you are over 50.

Try wearing some supportive knee hose and see if that helps.

It's been awfully hot - make sure you are drinking enough water and eating nutritious food. Before standing from a prone or seated position, take your time getting up, hang on to something, and squeeze and pump your thigh muscles to get the blood moving.

My DMIL had this for a few months and it turned out it was a side effect of a medication. I get it mildly on occasion since was a teenager - I have low blood pressure. If I am in the heat I MUST drink, drink, drink.

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

Sorry if I came across stridently Lars. I just get upset with doctors writing scrips so easily. Librium can cause dizziness among other side affects, and I don't understand why he would write that for you. Anyway, I hope you find the cause of your issue.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gina, my doctor did give me extensive BP tests, sitting, standing, lying down, etc., and they all came out normal. I am also monitoring my own BP, and lately it all comes back very normal.

I had a feeling that perhaps the Librium was causing the dizziness, but I am only taking one Librium a day at 4:30 PM, and so I think that by morning it should no longer have an effect. Today, I had to leave work at 11:30 AM because the dizzy spells were too severe, and someone drove me home because I did not feel able to drive. I then took a three hour nap, and when Kevin got home, I felt stable enough to drive my car home, which is only 1.3 miles and does not involve driving on major streets. Then I took another nap, and by now I am feeling much better - probably because it is not as hot as it was earlier today.

I'm thinking now that the heat has something to do with it. During our hike on Sunday, I wore a large hat but still got a bit sunburned on my face, arms, and legs, and I think the sunburn is what made me feel dizzy today. I drank a huge amount of ice water today as well but did not feel like eating much.

The heat in Texas when we were there was much worse, but I spent a good deal of time while I was there last month just lying down in front of an air conditioner. My house here has only one air conditioner, and it pretty much only cools the art studio/dining room and the living room - it does not reach the bedrooms or kitchen. My boss called me at home at 4:00 PM to check on me, and when I told her that I was in my bedroom on my computer drinking ice water, she told me to go to the dining room and lie down on the floor (since we have travertine floors there, in addition to the A/C). Kevin came home early to help me and brought his laptop from work so that he could finish his work in our dining room, and then we went to get my car.

According to my last blood work, I am not iron deficient, and I am thinking that the weather is pretty much to blame. It is supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow, but Friday is supposed to be extremely hot.

Thanks for your comments, Gina - that helps a lot!

Lars

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

The heat wipes me out, too, Lars. I can understand. I don't get dizzy but I sure feel diminished and tired even while drinking vats of ice water.

The cooler weather here has really perked me up. I hope you feel better soon.

I grew up in Arizona in the desert and always felt sluggish. I thought it was me until I moved away from both the extreme heat and the arid climate. It still gets hot here but nothing like Tucson. I physically feel so much better.

Eileen

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Lars, I'm really concerned about this. Stress can do a lot, but symptoms like this shouldn't be ascribed to stress until other things are ruled out.
    Could it be a virus? Is your temperature normal?
    Maybe it wouldn't hurt to consult a neurologist.
    And I'm with Gina on the Librium.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

I am also very concerned about this. I pray the dr's find out what is causing it. Also, add a little bit of lemon or lime juice to your ice water. It will help re-hydrated you. Honest! I've watched it work.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do have plenty of limes (but not lemons) now, and so I can add that to my water.

I think my temperature is normal - I do not feel feverish. It could always be some sort of virus, but I don't think I have cronic fatique like my boss. I'm afraid it might have something to do with blood sugar levels, but I was pretty sure that I had that under control. I've told Kevin that I want to switch the bar and dining table in the back yard so that the bar will be in the pergola. We have an umbrella for the table, but we almost never use the table, and I thought we might use it more if we bring it closer to the house and the barbeques. I also want to move some free weights to the pergola so that I can exercise there - it's way too hot in the house right now, and with the table gone, I should have plenty of room. Friday is supposed to be the hottest day of the week, and so it looks like we will have another hot week-end. It's not nearly as hot as it was in Texas, but it is still too warm to be comfortable. I've been drinking lots and lots of ice water.

I found out that the name for my condition is "Syncope" and refers to fainting spells. I've had this for many years, but not necessarily to this degree, except in extreme heat. There does not seem to be a consensus as to what causes this. I know exercise is supposed to help, but that's not easy when it is too hot. I'll try riding my bike when I get home and see how that goes.

Lars

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

So many things could cause the dizziness and faint feelings. Did you have an EKG?

I would really consider dropping the librium. If you are taking it in the evening to relax or help you sleep, maybe you could try something more natural like Melatonin?

One other possibility, since you have had surgery and traveled on a plane recently is a blood clot in the lung/embolism. Please call and have your doctor check for that and also ask him about possible artery blockage.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My doctor is out of town this week, but I will see him when he gets back. I'll look for Melatonin the next time I am in the store, but I am not ready to stop taking the Librium until I have something to replace it. I've taken Librium at other periods in my life with good results.

I still think that part of my dizziness is from the light sunburn that I got on Sunday. It wasn't a severe burn, but I did look extremely pink yesterday. If the spells do not go away, the doctor has said that he will want to do a scan for artery blockage. I'm not sure what that involves, but it would give me peace of mind to know that I do not have that.

This week-end we will be seeing Jimmy and Maartje, and her father is a surgeon, and so I'm sure she will have plenty of advice for me. She did recommend that I check my BP often, which I've been doing, and it remains very normal and not at all low. My doctor gives me EKG's once a year, but it's been a few months since I had the last one.

Lars

• lsr2002
    11 years ago

Hi Lars,

I know that I'm not the only one thinking about you and wondering how you are. I hope you are beginning to see some improvement or that you are least getting more information.

Please let us know how you are.

Lee

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I also came here to get an update on your health, Lars. Check in and let us know how you are feeling and if any other health issues have been identified by your doctors.

Annie

• compumom
    11 years ago

I've been checking regularly and wondering hos you are doing.
    Please check in!

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

I'm wondering too....hope all is good.

• triciae
    11 years ago

Me too, Lars.

/tricia

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been looking for a therapist who could help me determine whether I have psychological issues (as my doctor thinks), but I have been having trouble picking one out. I found one in my neighborhood who takes my insurance and is in my network (and I like his web site and philosophy), but when I call to make an appointment, I get a recording that says, "Your call cannot be answered at this time. Please try again later." That has been going on for a week now. Last week I sent him a fax and asked him to call me, but that hasn't happened yet. I think he may be on vacation and so I'll give him another week before I move on to the next on my list. Unfortunately, that person is a 20 minute drive away, but I think I can handle that. My regular doctor's office is in Pacific Palisades, about 14 miles from my house, and that drive can be brutal (the 405 - I-10 part), but it depends on the time of day. The PCH part of the drive is lovely and relaxing, however.

I'm still having dizzy spells and semi-black-out spells, but I think they may be slightly diminishing. Bernard arrived here yesterday from Sacramento to help me with landscaping, and he may also be able to help me get a new perspective on things. Kevin and I are going to try to go out of town for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that may or may not be helpful. I want to go to Anza Borrego for Thanksgiving and Death Valley for Christmas, but we need to look into getting reservations soon. If we have to, we can camp at Anza Borrego, but I want to stay in a hotel in Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley. If we can't do that, we may go to the Palm Springs area. There's a hotel in Desert Hot Springs that we like that has a very nice spa. If we just wanted to go to a spa, however, we could go to Ojai. although that could be expensive. Anyway, we've decided that we do not want to stay home alone for the holidays this year.

Myi neck seems to be healing well from the surgery, but I do not have any more follow-up appointments to check on my blood levels. The last tests all came out normal, which is why my doctor thinks my issues are psychological. I hope to get an appointment with a psychologist by next week, although Bernard is going to be here for two weeks or so, and so I might be able to delay that for a bit.

I still do not feel the way I should, but I am still trying to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your concern! Lately I've been feeling very alone at times, especially since I have not been able to see Jimmy and Maartje or other friends that I used to see more often. I have a fear of becoming more and more abandoned, but I will discuss that with a psychologist when I get to one. I'm still taking the Librium once a day, and I really do think it is helping somewhat.

Lars

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Frankly Lars I think your doctor is full of it. They always go "psychological" when they don't know what's wrong with you. Definately take care of yourself and deal with the stress, but I wouldn't give up looking for a physical cause with those kinds of symptoms! I once had an inner ear infection that caused me to get dizzy spells big time.

• nandina
    11 years ago

Lars, just another thought and in case it has been prescribed for you- what you are describing is a common side effect of Flomax. Often unrecognized as the culprit because one can be taking it for an extended period of time before dizzy/blackout spells suddenly appear. Based on family experience we now alert our older friends to the situation as it is a common problem which causes serious anxiety and useless testing. Cure is simple. Stop taking Flomax.

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

I'm with lpink on this one, Lars. How dare the doc suggest your symptoms are psychosomatic? You are on all kinds of meds, have gone through surgery that changed your hormones, have been traveling, it's been hot, etc, etc.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have not been taking Flomax. I was on antibiotics for ten days (including the time of DM's funeral) for a prostate infection that coincided with my parathyroidism, but the prostate problem is over now. I haven't taken Librium for the last two days, but I might take it again if my symptoms get worse. Having Bernard visit has been helpful, and I'll have to see how I feel after he leaves. We would like to go hiking this week-end, but the weather is not cooperating, and I expect the beaches will be extremely crowded. Plus we are having Carmageddon again this week-end, and so if we go anywhere along the coast, it will have to be south.

I do think my hormones are not back to what would be considered normal yet. At this point, I'm looking forward to some cooler weather. BTW, Bernard eats a lot (because he's doing physical labor), and this gives me the opportunity to cook a lot more things that I like and have nice dinners in the dining room. If it's not too hot, we may eat outside this week-end. I'll post some photos of Bernard's work as well.

Lars

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Sometimes when you go through a lot it takes your body a while to regain its equilibrium. I hope you continue to take good care of yourself Lars and give yourself the time you need to heal, both physically and emotionally. I've had bouts of poor health mixed with stress myself, so I know how frustrating it is. I made it though thanks to some loving care from some good friends. I wish you the same. We are all thinking of you during this difficult time!!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, I emphatically agree with Gina and L, you've had too much going on physically to blame health issues on "psychological" issues. Pfffft.

I had various specialists tell me for 5 years that a health problem was "stress". I was told to "learn to control the stress in my life" and that perhaps I should take up yoga. The single health care professional that took me seriously was my family doctor, who noted that I wasn't a "complainer" and so something HAD to be wrong.

Eventually I had an emergency appendectomy, but while removing the appendix the surgeon found a tumor on my ovary and removed it. Voila! I was cured.

Don't let them write you off, I'd find another doctor who took you seriously.

Annie

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have decided that my dizzy spells are being caused by the blood pressure medicine that I have been taking. I refilled one yesterday and talked with the pharmacist about this, and she told me that my dizzy spells were very likely the result of the medications I am taking, and she recommended that I go back to my doctor and have him change what I am taking. Here's a list of what I'm on now:

Mornings;
    Furosemide 10mg
    Losartan Potassium 100mg
    Metoprolol Tarta 50mg

Evenings;
    Metoprolol Tarta 25mg
    Amlodipine Besylate 5mg

The Amlodipine is the last one added, and dizziness is listed as one of the side effects, but then it is also listed as a side effect for Losartan. I haven't checked the other two yet. My BP now measures 115/84, pulse rate 65 bpm.

My operation was supposed to reduce my BP sufficiently to allow me to stop taking some of my BP medication, but my doctor said it was not that low yet. However, I will mention to him that I think the medication is causing side effects, and perhaps he will be able to switch me to something more benign.

Lars

• lindac
    11 years ago

Lars....get it all checked out.
    For some months my son, just 50, but over weight and an avowed foodie and bacon lover was experiencing back and shest pain when running. Checked with the doc...."donno"...did a stress test....normal....did an echo cardiogram....normal....but still the pain.....and there was a little blip on the EKG....Finally said...Let's figure this out....did an angio gram Thursday....sure enough 75% blocked LAD artery...ballooned and stented and he's good to go....but he was a heart attack waiting to happen!
    Get it all checked out!!...Stress is not good for one!!

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Linda! I'll take your advice and get it all checked out. I really want to know what it is. I think there is a slight chance for a blocked artery, and the doctor had not ruled that out. If it turns out to be BP medications, then the remedy might be more complicated. I thought my dizzy spells were supposed to go away after my parathyroidectomy, but I guess I was wrong. I've gone back to taking the Librium because it reduces my stress and anxiety, but I will call my doctor's office on Monday.

My boss just got back into town today after five days in New York installing new furniture for the 40th anniversary of the company. She got video press, and it might be on YouTube.

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I'm glad you are staying on top of this. I hope the solution turns out to be simple.

E

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I agree, I came here to see if there was anything new, and I'm glad you are still pursing the cause of the problems.

Stay well, I also hope it's something simple to remedy.

Annie

• compumom
    11 years ago

Lars also insist on a referral to a cardiologist for a "second opinion". So many MD's have tunnel vision and they don't look at the entire individual. Do yourself a favor and push for another specialist.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I talked with my doctor yesterday, and he told me I can stop taking the Amlodipine, and so I didn't take it last night. Already I feel better than I did on the days when I did take it in the evening, but I'll have to see how the day goes. I'm hoping I will have enough energy left at the end of the day to get back into my exercise routine. Bernard was staying in the guest room/exercise room, and so I did not have access to my weight machine while he was here. I feel that I am ready now to get back into a more rigorous exercise routine, but as always, I will ease myself into it gradually. I took three semesters of weight lifting at UT Austin when I was getting my design degree, and so I know what works for me. I'm going to try to start with yoga stretches - I bought some DVDs to help with that.

If I can lose weight, perhaps I will be able to stop taking some of the other BP meds.

Lars

• compumom
    11 years ago

That's hopeful! I Googled amlopidine to reveal the common name and found this site which might add to your information. The People's Pharmacy offers real world reports of side effects and drug interactions. Flu-ish symptoms, fatigue and dizziness were all reported. I was particularly interested to read that one person was having a terrible time with the generic version of the drug. I hope you have a much better day!

Here is a link that might be useful: People's Pharmacy

• jessicavanderhoff
    11 years ago

I am also thinking the blood pressure medicine could be to blame. Do you know what your blood pressure readings have been running? If it were me, I would probably rather decrease the medicine a little bit and have my blood pressure be slightly elevated, rather than deal with the dizziness. Have you been taking any cold medicine or decongestants or having any caffeine? I think caffeine can really make dizziness worse if you're prone to it- both because of the stimulant effects and because it's easy to let yourself become dehydrated. The caffeine actually makes you need extra water, but since your stomach is full of liquid, you tend to drink less than you would otherwise.

I hope you continue to get better.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I agree, that's very hopeful.

I'm bad at medications. Every time I take one, it causes something else which they want me to take medication for. Ugh.

I do hope that you found the problem and that it doesn't recur. I agree that getting into a regular exercise routine will probably make you feel better, it sure can't hurt.

Stay well, my dear.

Annie

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link, Ellen. I'm glad I stopped the Amlodipine as it seems to have too many side effects. I've tried a lot of different BP meds, and some of them put me right to sleep.

Before I stopped taking the Amlodipine, my BP was running about 113/70, which is lower than it needs to be. After not taking Amlodipine, my BP is closer to 130/84, which I think is acceptable, and I also think that I will be able to lower it further once I get my exercise routine in full swing. Right now it is too hot - it was 80 degrees in the house when I got home yesterday, and even after opening windows, it stayed about 77 degrees. It is difficult for me to exercise when the temp is above 75. It should cool down a bit in November - October is one of our warmest months, with September being the hottest, and so our summer comes a bit late.

I'm going to have to remember to buy sensible candy for Halloween.

Lars

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I have been following your situation closely. I haven't wanted to chime in because my DH is also "having dizzy spells and semi-black-out spells" almost daily and I was hoping to be able to report on diagnosis from his doctor about this same issue. But, he has canceled FIVE times due to his college team's schedule (he is head coach). I am so angry but finally he went to his cardiologist yesterday; he will be going into the hospital...the dr wants him in the hospital but DH won't schedule it until AFTER his fall season is over!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thankfully you are not as hard headed as he is and can get your issues resolved with more common sense.

• jessicavanderhoff
    11 years ago

I think that's acceptable too. And I think it gives you a little margin of error if you stand up fast or something. I'll keep my fingers crossed for no more dizzy spells. I am adoring the hot October. Sorry it's making it tough for you to get out!

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Lars, that's still a little high according to what my dr. wants mine. She is happiest at about 120/80. She especially wants the second number to stay below 85. When you stand, try to remember to tighten your thigh muscles. This will force the blood to your head, instead of letting it drop to your feet as you stand. I take Benecar and Verapamil for my bp, both in the morning. I hope your dr. can help you get the meds adjusted right for you, and you have no more trouble. You are in my prayers.

Mustangs, I hope your DH gets strightened out soon. The right way, not by being forced into the hospital. I'll keep him in my prayers too. I know how frustrating it is to have a DH that doesn't do what the dr. says. Mine hasn't been to a dr in years and needs to!

Tami

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cathy, I do hope your DH gets to the doctor soon - I do not understand why some men put off seeing a doctor - it just does not make sense to me, but then perhaps I pay more attention to what women tell me! The dizziness and black-out spells can definitely be related to heart or artery problems, which can be very serious. My energy level is not up to where I would like it to be, but I think I will have to work very hard on it. I've had dizzy spells all my life, and in my 20s I was told it was due to hypoglycemia, which may still be partially the case. I'm going back to the doctor in mid November, and I'll see what he suggests then.

My BP lately has been still been between 113/70 and 130/84, and it depends on the time of day and what I've been doing. I adjusted my dose of Metoprolol so that I take half a pill in the morning and the whole pill in the evening. That has seemed to even my BP reading out a bit.

I'll try the thigh exercise to see if that helps. I have strong thighs and am good at doing squats. I wish I did not have to sit so much at work - I should make a point to take a walk around my work table more often - I have the largest office in the building, and then I can also take walks through the warehouse and look at the furniture! I like to see what finishes and fabrics people are putting on my chair designs!

Lars