Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody taken advantage of Coursera?

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 12:56

I've been purchasing courses from The Teaching Company for almost ten years and love them. Value for cost expended is outstanding. Selection is also outstanding - hundreds available. Professors are considered the best in the country for their chosen field. Keeps my brain active, ya know.

Now, I'm considering taking advantage of Coursera. They're free and given from the world's best universities. I'm not interested in this but for those who might be - there's no credit but certificate programs are available.

Anyway, wondering if anybody's has taken one of these classes and what they think? This semester, there are 195 classes offered. I guess offerings are different each semester.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Coursera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody taken advantage of Coursera?

I checked out your link. Lots of interesting courses. I love to learn just for the sake of learning. I might check out some future courses. Thanks for the tip.
Clare

o

I find it interesting you're saying this tricia. I hadn't heard of them. My employer just joined them, until yesterday. They made our announcement on campus yesterday. Here's what we're doing this time around:

� Online Games: Literature, New Media, and Narrative,
� Research Data Management: Best Practice and Applied Methods
� Innovation Strategy: Managing Innovation and Creativity in Individuals, Groups, and Organizations
� Nutrition, Health, and Lifestyle: Issues and Insights
� Pattern-Oriented Software Architectures for Concurrent and Networked Software

Should be interesting to see what people end up thinking about what is going on out there. I don't choose our courses, so don't ask me! But there you have it.

o

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, Clare, I found the classes interesting also. I like the variety. I've been stuck in a history rut taking 7-8 courses in a row. I'm ready for something different.

I've decided to take "Aboriginal Worldviews and Education" from the University of Toronto. Different but still within my area of interest.

It's an area I've never explored and think I'd find it interesting.

rob333, that's amazing that my post and your employer's announcement coincide! I'm assuming by the classes that you work for Vanderbilt. The participating universities are certainly impressive. I think it's a great opportunity for anybody just wanting more varied education.

/tricia

o

I bookmarked a class called A History of the World Since 1300 a few months ago. I'm not sure how it works. Do people have to take the class together at a certain time or can you start it whenever it's convenient?

o
Darn

Oh rats, that course already started, but there are a lot of other interesting ones that have not started yet. Thanks for reminding me, tricia.

o

I don't know Coursera, but I've been doing Audio Courses from the Teaching Company from my local library... I have a long commute (all the way to Simsbury) so they are great company on my 90 minute drive each way! (and free! I love audio books from my library)

o

I do. You're very pereceptive Ms. Tricia. Let me know how your courses go since I too am considering taking some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here