SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Thank You For Your Concern & Support

triciae
14 years ago

Hi! Thanks to everybody who has sent their well wishes & prayers. It's been a very long three months. DH has made an excellent nurse & cook!

So, what happened to me? I was gardening on my hands & knees...couldn't get up...darn lupus pain. There was nobody around so I turned my weed bucket upside down & did a pushup off the bucket's rim. As most of you know, I've got a previous injury & bone graft at T/6-7. Apparently, my little pushup put too much stress on the rest of my spine (since there's no give in the bone graft) & I buldged C1/2, C2/3, basically the entire thoracic spine area, & a couple more near the tailbone just for good measure.

The pain was so fierce...I immediately had a small stroke on my right side. I went completly numb in my right leg & arm. The stroke was small & docs can't really tell if the numbness is from the spinal injuries or the stroke. It doesn't matter really 'cause the end result was the same...couldn't move the right side of my body.

I was unable to move on my own for 6 weeks, or so. Hospitalized for awhile then DH took care of me.

DH was going to take Family Leave but, apparently, the law allows when an employee is considered "essential to the financial stability of the company" for them to be fired. And, that's what they did...fired DH.

Within 2-3 weeks he had accepted another position in Philly & we were going to move a couple weeks ago. But, I wasn't ready physically for the move. We decided the entire thing was one big stress factor we don't need right now. So, DH made the decision that full retirement was the right choice for us now. We'd hoped for him to work another 2+ years but it's not necessary...just would have been nice. Anyway, we didn't want to leave Mystic & I'm still not functioning well so we're officially retired still in Mystic.

I can now type slowly & play a few scales on my piano. I don't know yet if I'll ever be able to actually play my piano again. I can walk, sorta on a good day, almost dress myself except for socks/shoes & coats/jackets, still need help with eating & most everything else but it's getting better every week. My goal is almost normal function by spring.

The pain is still seemingly unbearable some time out of every day but averaging down to around 7.5-8.0. Last Friday, I had my first day with 3.5-4.00 hours of pain less than 5. So, I know that in time the pain will be manageable. Physical therapy is still limited to walking 50 feet, raising my arms level to my shoulders, & shrugging my shoulders slightly 8 times each exercise twice/day. So, I can now at least brush my own teeth! Still can't brush my hair though...it's long & DH is frustrated with it! We cut 8" off but it's still below my shoulders.

It's taken me 2 hours to get this typed. I won't be posting on the forums yet but am starting to read a bit every couple days. Thanks so very much for all of the emails & concerns. They've meant a lot to me during this intense period.

Again, Bless all of you for thinking of us both.

/tricia

Comments (43)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH