SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Stay safe, Colorado

annie1992
10 years ago

I've been watching the news and heard 700 people were evacuated via airlift, the biggest operation since Hurricane Katrina. 1500 homes destroyed, another 17,500 damaged, thousand of people still waiting for rescue, many missing some dead.

My prayers are with everyone in harm's way, and I'm hoping that Lee and Max are high and dry. Do we have other members there?

Annie

Comments (15)

• dlynn2
    10 years ago

I'm out here in Fort Collins and our house is fine, but everything around us is flooded and many roads are flooded, or washed out. We are lucky in that we don't live near a creek or river, and are uphill from a pond behind our house where all of the rainwater runs into. We have several friends that have had flooded houses, some that are under mandatory evacuation and don't know the status of their houses, and some that are trapped up the canyon because of flooded roads. Fortunately we don't know of anyone that is missing (or at least we haven't heard about them yet).

I've been very concerned about Max and Lee, since Boulder was also hit very hard. Hopefully we'll hear something from them soon.

We have gotten close to 20" of rain this week in some areas, and it was still raining tonight. The Sherrif is hoping that tomorrow will be dry so that they can finally get more of the helicopters up to rescue some of the people that are trapped.

It's going to be months, maybe even years, before all of the roads are repaired especially since we are approaching the winter months when they are unable to do that type of work.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Thanks for starting this Annie. Since we spend a week every year for the last 14 years in that area, we feel a connection with the citizens and businesses in the immediate and surrounding area. We are heartbroken and very concerned about the loss of life and property these folks are suffering. Added to this are the recent fires south of this area. God bless them, please.

• Related Discussions

Stay safe my friends and live to talk fruit another day.

Q

Comments (1)
    1020champs is right! Take care in Arkansas, Miss. and abutting states. A very tough night for weather. Mrs. G
    ...See More

Everyone stay safe if you're in the blizzard zone!

Q

Comments (46)
    Thanks, Rhizo! I sometimes feel like the King of Siam's kids who think snow is a made up thing in books (though I have seen glaciated snow in the forest, and actual glaciers). I read the posts y'all make about it and really don't understand what they mean. I just know it's dangerous and cold, so I'm glad when everybody reports in safe. I'm in Southern California, a few miles inland. We get hail every few years (which sometimes gets misidentified as snow by people who've never seen tiny hail), but not snow or any other non-rain/hail precipitation. There are mountains not that far away where it does snow, but not when I'm there (I was even in Germany in December but no snow). The closest I've been is high dessert where there were a few passing flakes. Few as in, oh, look, there's one!
    ...See More

Second Application of Bayer went down today, staying on the safe side

Q

Comments (1)
    If you haven't used Scott's Disease ex, give it a try. Price is comparable to the Bayer and works good. I have to spread some more Scott's and I'm like you and kind of resistant of spreading too much fungicides. It's been a moist spring/summer and as much as I love the rain since no irrigation is needed, it has been bringing issues.
    ...See More

Stay safe friends

Q

Comments (1)
    Hoping Glenda checks in.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dlynn, I'm glad you're safe, I'm hoping someone will hear from Max and Lee soon.

My prayers to everyone suffering the wrath of Mother Nature, I hope the weather moderates so that emergency measures can be finished quickly and repair can start.

Stay safe, dlynn.

Annie

• triciae
    10 years ago

dlynn, I'm so pleased to read you and your home are safe from the flooding. What a mess, huh?

Hope Lee checks in when she's able!

We have several relatives in the area. My BIL/SIL are in Denver Metro, an adult niece/DH are in the Castle Rock area, an adult nephew is in Steamboat (no flooding in Steamboat) and an elderly aunt in Longmont. My DH is a native of Longmont.

Our niece has been evacuated but so far all is fine. BIL/SIL in the metro area are okay. DH's aunt is okay but her home is located on one of those "islands" being discussed in the news. She need supplies soon - being elderly she doesn't keep much in the house. The local emergency officials are aware she's there and her age. She has neighbors to visit with and seems calm.

It's going to take a lot of work for Colorado to get back to normal. I worry about contaminants in the water from industrial and agricultural waste and also about waste water treatment facilities' failure.

Sure have been a lot of "historic" weather events in the past few years.

/tricia

• lsr2002
    10 years ago

We are OK. Trying to keep up with water coming into the house at several points. It's rain, we are not in the flood plain but the almost 20 inches of rain we have had has come into the house at several points. We have some new windows ordered which have not arrived yet and water came in around one window in my office popping up the wood floor and more strong seepage in a guest bedroom so we have soaked carpet and pad there. Those two floors have to be replaced as well as some wall and ceiling sheetrock. I'm sure that a full closet used for storage will have almost everything in it ruined from water.. We had already met with our contractor neighbor and have some reno plans in place for other areas in the house. But we hadn't planned to do anything in the rooms with damage. Rain is supposed to end overnight and the temps warmed up with sun tomorrow. Right now at 11:00am it is cloudy with showers and only 53. Boulder had many horrible floods and access to our street has required showing proof of residence so the police will let cars through.

I know how very lucky we are when I see on TV the terrible damage just a few hundred feet from us. This morning there is the constant sound of rescue helicopters which were grounded yesterday due to low visibility. Our son emptied about 50 gallons of water from his two shop vacs that came into their basement yesterday. Again from the severe rain and not from flooding. They are in Parker.

Dlynn, I'm so glad you are safe!

Thank you all for thinking about me. I know I've been very quiet here but I have had severe medical problems since November after we came back from our vacation.

Lee

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Dlynn and Lee, I'm glad to hear that you both are safe and your property is relatively unscathed.

Lee, I was hoping your medical problems were behind you. Sorry to hear that you are suffering again...so almost a year this has been going on?

• pkramer60
    10 years ago

Dlynn, glad you are dry and safe.

Lee....No....get better soon please!

I have gone through numerous floodings in this house, most recently in April with 3 feet of water twice in one day. Yup, we pumped it out and it rained again. Here is some advise for the major clean up they will have.

-get the water out as soon as you can to avoid structural damage.Sounds like a no brainer but we watched people hoping it would recede on its own. Trust me, it won't.

-washers, dryers and freezer may shut down, but do not toss right away. Let them dry out and they may come back to life. One of 2 freezers did a Lazarus for me, the other just kept running while submerged. If they run again, have a tech check them out. Some parts may rust but can be replaced. the same goes for power tools.

-allow clothing, toys, books and photos to dry in the sun. Wash well at a later date.

Stay safe. I will do a sunshine dance for you!

• Lars
    10 years ago

Lee, I hope you get to feeling better and can be well soon. I've been very concerned about you since I heard the news about Boulder, but I have to admit that I do not watch news that much and only found out about the flood this morning. I'm glad Annie started this thread and that you were able to respond. I'm also sorry to hear about the water coming into your house, and I hope the weather will start to cooperate. I have several cousins in Denver, but I don't think Denver was flooded - at least not like Boulder.

Lars

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Aw, Lee, I didn't now you have not been well. I am sorry to hear it. Now floods on top of everything else. No fair.

I have a very good friend in Co Springs who missed having her house burn down by literally one block. Everything to that point was burned. Her son lives in Boulder, right around the corner from the "Jonbenet" house. I'm not sure how he is faring.

Another good friend lives in a different part of Boulder and they are fine. Such a beautiful place, it is sad to see the floods. Stay safe -- and well.

• compumom
    10 years ago

I'm glad to hear from Dlynn and Lee that they are safe. I"ve also been concerned about their welfare. This flooding is awful, I can't imagine all of that rain and devastation. Stay safe-- and be well!!!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lee, I'm so glad to hear tha you are safe, but I'm sorry that you are having health problems again. I'd hoped that was behind you. I'll keep you in my prayers, for health and for some sunny dry weather and no more rain for a while.

Peppi, I remember you flooded several times, at least once the koi washed right out of your pond, and things were floating around the basement. It's amazing the amount of damage rain can cause. And the damage not enough rain can cause too.

Annie

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

This flooding in Colorado just blows my mind. I'm so sorry it's happening to you, but I'm glad it's not worse than it is, even though it's certainly bad enough.

Lee, I'm so sorry to hear you're not well. I hope you get better soon.

Sally

• dlynn2
    10 years ago

Lee, I'm sorry to hear you aren't doing well. I've felt guilty for not getting together more with you, but I have also been having health issues. In fact, I had to cancel my appointment with my surgeon at CU in Denver last week because of the floods.

We have been down to Longmont a few times in the last couple of days, and it is really difficult getting there. Many of the exits off of the interstate are completely closed due to flooded roads (still have water over the roads), or washed out roads, causing huge traffic jams on the interstate. I've tried taking back roads, but many of those roads are washed out or are still impassable, and that was almost impossible. And tonight we heard on the news that there were huge oil spills just east of here when the floods reached that area.

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

Colorado just isn't made for that much rain at a time. It's going to be a big problem for a long time. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm sorry about your health, too, DLynn.

Sally

• riverrat1
    10 years ago

I'll be in Denver in early November. Lee, I will e-mail/call you to see if we can get together. I miss you. You have been through so much the last few years and are always in my prayers.

Dlynn, I would love if we could all see each other at the same time (like last time) :-) . I miss you too! I'm sorry to hear of your medical problems and I hope that all is OK by now.

My daughter, that lives in Denver, is high and dry in the Highlands. Downtown Denver has had some problems but nothing like what Lee, dlynn and many others have seen. It's horrific.

We've lived through a much larger Hurricane than Katrina so my heart goes out to all that are still suffering the loss and damage that will never be replaced. PTSD is very big in our area.