SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

Thing One's wedding is getting close ...

gellchom
12 years ago

Less than three weeks away now. And so much left to do.

I really don't want to be "that mom" -- all stressed out. I had envisioned myself avoiding the cliche and just going with the flow. And I'm trying, I really am. I hope I'm pulling it off outwardly. But in the middle of almost every night, I'm staring at the ceiling for an hour, with things to do swirling around in my brain.

I thought it would be no harder than a bar mitzvah. Hah! That was checkers to this chess. All the guests were our guests, and my husband and I just planned everything the way we chose. Now there are lots of other co-hosts involved and dozens and dozens of guests I don't even know. It makes it a LOT harder.

But it's still a lot of fun. The dresses are starting to line up in the closet (the bride, her mom, my mom, and maybe some others are sending them here ahead so they won't be wrinkled in suitcases). Thing Two is home from Israel and lost a lot of weight -- she looks sensational, but I'm glad we have a good tailor for her bridesmaid dress, which has to come down 2 whole sizes.

I love the caterer for the "rehearsal dinner" BBQ for the out of town guests in our back yard; he has great ideas, keeps throwing in stuff for free, and solves lots of dilemmas with stuff that's not even his problem. Current estimate for that party is 173 -- what were we thinking? Almost the whole wedding group (about 230, we predict).

Please everyone use all your weather karma for us; 173 inside is going to be ... impossible, actually.

The wedding itself is really all set. My husband wrote music for the processional, and it's beautiful. He wrote ours, too.

I am so excited about all of our relatives coming. We are lucky to have great families. And the one or two people we ... aren't so excited to see, let's say, aren't coming.

Our friends here are amazing. There has been a bit of junior high school level drama -- "Did you tell Lulu I'm in charge of the hospitality bags?" -- that led to the only meltdown I've had, and I hope that it will be the last, but that's all.

It's going to take 5 days to get these kids married. Future Mrs. Thing One's dad is taking whoever is in town already on Thursday night out to dinner, our friends are making dinner on Friday, Saturday morning is the aufruf at the synagogue sabbath services followed by lunch (the bat mitzvah family that day is doing it, lucky for us), Saturday night at our house, Sunday evening the wedding, and Monday brunch at the hotel -- plus the hospitality suite all weekend. Whew!

I wish you would all be there. And I know you know what I mean when I say that it will in a way feel like you are. You know I'll be thinking of you! Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this happy time with us.

Comments (6)