SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Goodbye to my Mama's Boy

annie1992
10 years ago

My dear sweet Cooper died Sunday evening. We aren't quite sure what happened, I was playing fetch with him Friday morning and Sunday night he was gone.

Saturday he was slow and started vomiting. The general advice is to withhold food and water for 12 hours. After that he stopped vomiting but still didn't feel good and wasn't interested in eating or drinking very much. Sunday night about 8 pm we went for a ride, as it was hot and the car is air conditioned, unlike my house. I told Elery he was going to the vet first thing Monday morning as he didn't really even want to walk back into the house. I gave him unflavored Pedialyte, but he didn't want it, I managed to get about half a cup in him.

About 10 pm he went to bed with Elery as the bedroom has a small air conditioner. When I went in at midnight to check on him, he had died.

The vet had just cleaned his teeth 11 days ago and he was healthy, although overweight. He had a small tumor removed from his mouth which tested nonmalignant. The vet said if he was gone that fast, it was something "big".

I've been beating myself up, of course, because I didn't take him to the vet on Sunday when he was sick. He was such a good dog and never wanted anything except to be with Elery and I. Elery is devastated, he was his "buddy" and went everywhere with him.

I'm sad and the house is empty. You wouldn't think a 40 pound Sheltie would fill up so much space, but he did.

He loved the farm and I kept promising him that we'd move and he could be the farm dog. I took him there yesterday morning and buried him next to the barn, he's the farm dog now.

He was only 4 years old.

Annie

Comments (35)