SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

Prayers, positive thoughts, good wishes....

chase_gw
10 years ago

...whatever works for you. We need them all.

My sweetie pie niece, Kate , was diagnosed last December with Stage 4 colon cancer...she is 29.

The primary tumour was removed surgically but test showed it had spread to her liver. She has undergone two bouts of extensive chemo and the good news is they have found no new lesions....bad news is that the tumours in the liver have not shrunk enough to allow a liver resection in the hopes of containing the cancer.

There is always so much good news bad news with this carp....

Good news is she has been accepted into a trial that surgically implants a radiation/chemo capsule into her liver in the hopes of blasting it to the point where she can have a resection.

Bad news is that it is a trial and they are very upfront with saying it's a bit of a "Hail Mary Pass".

Kate has an amazing attitude and if anyone can make it she can so we keep it up too....but it's hard, Especially for my sister.

Anyhow, if you could send your best thoughts to wherever you believe they are best sent ...we would appreciate it.

Thanks

Sharon

This post was edited by chase on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 7:51

Comments (51)

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Oh dear, Sharon, I'm so sorry that your niece is so ill.

You are certainly in my thoughts and prayers and are getting all the positive thoughts I can send to you. I'll pray for healing for Kate and wait to hear that the news is good.

Annie

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Oh Sharon, that's dreadful news. Very positive thoughts to your niece and fervent hopes that the new treatment is effective for her.

• Related Discussions

OT - could use some prayers and positive thoughts

Q

Comments (22)
    Thank you everyone - had a family Christmas party last night at my nieces house and my 7 year old granddaughter was there. I held her so close and was so thankful to God that I could. She was so full of life and so excited about new dance moves she was learning and a new song she is learning. I just 'drank' it all in. So many many parents and grandparents will never see their 6 or 7 years old ever do that. There are times when I say 'why God??' but in the end I know he has his plan and one day it will all be made clear. Again my prayers are directed to Connecticut - may they feel God's comfort during this time of sorrow ..... Lynne
    ...See More

Another request for positive thoughts and prayers

Q

Comments (31)
    Good news! Rick is going home from the hospital today. I got to speak with him last night, and he sounded great. He said he feels better than he has in a long time, his pain is greatly diminished, and he rarely has to take pain meds. He's been in pain for a while, but the doctor (not the one that discovered the tumor) said it was arthritis and put him on high dose Ibuprophen. He doesn't have to take that now. Yeah! Sally
    ...See More

Positive thoughts and prayers needed please

Q

Comments (18)
    There should never be decisions like this on the Earth. Please let there be a miracle for this family and please let us see a cancer cure soon.
    ...See More

Thoughts, prayers and good vibes please...

Q

Comments (52)
    Prostate cancer most certainly can spread or come back. Even when the prostate is removed, it often comes back in the form of organ or bone cancer. The PSA levels are checked regularly and often even after removal, to see if it has indeed spread to the bladder for instance. Hubby's came back a couple of years later in the form of bone cancer. Of the two, I believe the bone cancer is easier to treat than in the organs. It may not be completely successful, but he's doing several different treatments. The one that he's just finished is monthly injections of radium 223. Chemo is still an option, so far he's avoided that.
    ...See More
  • mitchdesj
    10 years ago

what a scary thing to go through, I wish you all the best in this.

• doucanoe
    10 years ago

Oh Sharon, I am so sorry to hear this. Kate is so young to have to deal with the "C" word.

Sending a boatload of healing thoughts to all of you. Hoping the trial treatment does the trick, I'll be checking back for updates.

Linda

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Yes, way too young, she should be having fun and setting her life's course not suffering and wondering. My thoughts and prayers are also lined up with your friends and family.

We are dealing with my youngest brother colon cancer and the subsequent problems it caused his pancreas.

• cloudy_christine
    10 years ago

What an awful thing for someone so young to have to deal with. Kate will be in my thoughts, and so will your whole family.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Yes, way too young, she should be having fun and setting her life's course not suffering and wondering. My thoughts and prayers are also lined up with your friends and family.

We are dealing with my youngest brother's colon cancer and the subsequent problems it caused his pancreas.

• compumom
    10 years ago

Oh dear! Sending as many positive thoughts and energy as I can muster. She's so young, but clinical trials are worth exploring. A good friend had stage 4 melanoma in 1994. He entered a very early trial and today is fine. There are miracles!

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone ...it is so tough watching her go through this, in some ways even tougher watching my sister.

All I know is that if she can be so positive and so upbeat then I certainly can.

Maybe that's a gift youth has, she just simply does not accept that this can "get" her. She says she has way too much to do and intends to do it!

Thanks again

• triciae
    10 years ago

Also including my most positive thoughts and prayers to the others. Way too young. There is never a good time but 29 is way to young.

My thoughts are also with you, Sharon. I understand what you're experiencing. I lost my sweet 17 year old niece to leukemia. There are no words for how painful it was to watch my sister and BIL endure those months. Karen's disease progressed quickly - just 8 months between diagnosis and when we lost her.

In February, our neighbor and fellow marina/boating buddy was diagnosed with neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer - the type that Steve Jobs fought. He's been receiving aggressive chemo but a couple weeks ago found out there are 2 new lesions. It's our understanding that the treatments are to improve life quality rather than extend life. There is too much of this stuff happening...

/tricia

• riverrat1
    10 years ago

Sharon, I have a good friend of mine that is going through pretty much the same thing. It is so sad to see such a young person going through this terrible cancer. Kate and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers today, tomorrow and always.

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, Sharon, I am so sorry this is happening to your niece, your family, and to you. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. 29 is way too young for this, but I guess at that age, maybe healing is more likely to happen.

Sally

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for all the good thoughts.

Sally, one of the reasons Kate was accepted into this trial is because of her age and overall good health, She is very strong both physically and mentally.

Her surgery for the implant should be around our Thanksgiving and we should know how effective it was by Christmas.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

• User
    10 years ago

So sorry you and your family are going through this. Praying here.

So on the hope side those little implants sound very similar to what they use in prostate cancer and the success rate is 90%. A friend just had them done. So cheers to a great clinical trial.

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

I will certainly add Kate to my prayers.

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

Sharon, the fact that she's young and armed with a positive outlook already tells me she's a survivor. The latter is particularly important.

I will certainly keep your 'sweetie pie,' and everyone whose hearts she's captured, in my thoughts. Many hugs.

Sol

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

I look forward to hearing more about her progress, and appreciate you keeping us updated.

Sally

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Best wishes and prayers for Kate!

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to read this, Sharon. I'll remember you all in prayers.

• sheshebop
    10 years ago

In my thoughts and prayers also. Please do keep us posted.

Sherry

• KatieC
    10 years ago

Sending all those things to Kate and her family, and to you and yours, Sharon. I agree with Tricia...there's way too much of this stuff.

And she is way too young. But I'm also way behind research and trials.I'm glad she is strong. Hoping for the best.

• riverrat1
    10 years ago

Chase, I came back to this thread because I was thinking of you and your family.

Praying are going up to your Kate in hopes that she is doing well and continued thoughts are said for her everyday.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

RR, I check back periodically too, hoping that Kate is recovering and feeling better.

I'm also sending prayers and strong thoughts.

Annie

• trixietx
    10 years ago

Praying for Kate! Please keep us informed!

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

Positive thoughts for Kate.

May we all be truly thankful come Thanksgiving Day.

Sol

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate is still waiting for the surgery to implant the test "chemo bomb" in her liver.

Poor kid was quite weak from her regular chemo and she caught a cold which turned into bronchitis. So the oncologists are waiting for her to get her strength back before proceeding,

It's a tough, tough road for her but she is keeping a positive attitude.

There is much for us to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend but there is a cloud over our happiness. Meredith says that we are going to call today Hopegivng Day instead of Thanksgiving. Day...next year we'll be back to Thanks!!

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update, Sharon. I hate that she is sick, but I hope she gets better soon. I like the idea of Hopegiving Day. Brilliant!

Sally

• riverrat1
    10 years ago

Thank you for the update Sharon.
    I think of you and your Kate daily. Still praying!

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Best thoughts for Kate's recovery from the bronchitis so she can regain her strength for the next phase of her treatment.

• lpinkmountain
    10 years ago

Praying here for Kate!

• annie1992
    10 years ago

I'm sending up some more prayers for Kate too, and hoping that she overcomes the bronchitis quickly so she can go on to the next phase of her treatment.

Hang in there, I'm hoping along with you this year that all will be well for Kate.

Annie

• User
    10 years ago

Liver bomb- I pictured when they bring down buildings in a populated area and have to protect all the buildings around it. May the charges be in all the right places and the surrounding good tissues be safe.

IJN

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I'm still thinking of you all.

• compumom
    10 years ago

Sharon, sending strong thoughts and good wishes for Miss Kate!

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

Sending prayers for healing for Kate, and strength for your family.

Tami

• blueiris24
    10 years ago

Thinking of your niece and sending positive thoughts - my sister battled with colon cancer several years ago and is in remission -- your niece is much too young to have to do battle with such a tough disease - so sorry she is having to go through this, sending her and all of her family strength

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Latest news is that Kate will be going to NYC for the trial procedure. As much as I'm thrilled she will have this chance it is an emotional and financial hardship for my sister.

Canadian health insurance will pay everything for Kate but not the expenses associated with my sister flying to NYC and staying there for 10 days....plus of course she has to take the time off work.

When I talked to Kate she was not as positive as she has been . She missed T-Day with the family and looks like she will miss Christmas too. She told me she is so tired of being sick....it just breaks my heart.

I hate cancer but I love Kate and we will keep marching forward...

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Chase, So sorry to hear that Kate is still not doing well, but how exciting that she can be part of the trial procedure. It sounds hopeful. I feel terrible for your sister. She must be at the end of her rope. Wish I were closer to NYC so I could offer a place to stay. Has she looked into Air BNB? Perhaps she can find a more affordable option there.

I hope for only the best for Kate and your sister -- and you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air BNB New York

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Oh, Sharon, I was hoping for some better news.

I'll keep praying for a positive outcome for Kate and for strength for your sister and the rest of the people who love Kate.

I wish I knew someone in New York where Kate could stay, l'm also too far away to be of any help.

Annie

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Latest news.....

Kate is scheduled for the trial procedure January 7th. The doctors were very positive saying they expected this would add several years to her life...I was hoping for something better but you take what you can get at this point.

Better news is my sister 's company is paying for her to fly to NYC and putting her up in a hotel for the week to 10 days Kate is in Hospital.

So go out and buy Wrigley gum and Mars bars....it's the Mars family that is picking up the tab.

I'll let you know how things progress but in the meantime please keep her in your thoughts.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

I'm glad the doctors are positive, at least, and adding years can add time for something else to be discovered, perhaps.

She'll stay in my prayers, hoping for a miracle treatment for Kate.

Annie

• compumom
    10 years ago

I am keeping Kate and family in my thoughts for a successful procedure and improvement. I'm pleased to hear about the Mars Family picking up the tab. Their charitable foundation spreads good will to others around the world, it's nice that they're helping one of their own "family" too.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Still in my thoughts. And maybe, she'll blow them away with how much longer she gets (with good quality life) with this trial. She may be breaking new ground for something that gives loads of people loads of hope!!!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Okay, M&Ms in every holiday stocking this year. Kudos to Mars!

Still thinking of Kate and hoping for the very best.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

You're right, dedtired, I just went out and bought 20 packages of M&Ms for the little bags of goodies for the kids at the family Christmas party this year, as a nod to the Mars family.

Annie

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Nice, Annie.

• sally2_gw
    10 years ago

That's great news, Sharon. I'll remember that date because it's my FIL's birthday, his 94th! That's gotta be a good omen if there ever was one.

Sally

• ann_t
    10 years ago

Really wonderful news.

And I'll definitely be buying Mars bars this Christmas.

~Ann

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone...Kate is very positive and that's what matters most.

Yes Mars, actually the Mars family themselves, will be paying all of my sisters expenses as well as any of Kate's expenses not covered by Ontario Health Care.

Lots of Mars stuff in out holiday stockings too!

• KatieC
    10 years ago

Glad to see good news and that Kate is positive. Attitude is important.

Thinking pretty highly of the Mars family right now...

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH