SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

September Road Trip..ideas?

chase_gw
13 years ago

We are planning a road trip in Early September. The macro details are to travel from Oakville (think Niagara Falls) to Boston via New York State and Massachusetts.

Then on to Cape Cod and Provincetown, maybe Martha's Vineyard.

Back north along the coast to Boston and then continuing north along the Atlantic coast to Portland Maine.

From there we will take the ferry across to Nova Scotia.

Coming home we will travel through central NH, no route in mind but want to go through Norwich Vermont (King Arthur!), Woodstock, and on to Ticonderoga NY and up to Lake Placid.

Somewhere in there I want to travel the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.

If anyone has ideas of must sees/visit or great routes to follow I would love to hear about them. Also any must have regional foods....like lobsta rolls! LOL

Comments (19)

• dedtired
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Be sure to go on a whale-watching trip leaving from Provincetown. It's an amazing sight.

Your trip sounds wonderful.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Biking on Martha's Vineyard is a great day trip and is easy on the flat land.

I'm longing to go to Prince Edward Island off the Atlantic Canadian coast. See Green Gables and the area Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote about in Anne of Green Gables. Eat lobster, mussels, and PEI potatoes. Take in the beautiful coastal scenery.

Be sure to partake of Vermont cheddar and some good ice cream up there amongst all the lovely cows.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Of course I have a couple of suggestions for when you head north of Boston. ONe place you have heard mentioned a few times is Flo's Hot Dogs on Rt 1 in Cape Neddick. It really is a "must see" and order several with Hot sauce, mayo and celery seed. A few miles further north is Ogunquit. Definitely try to spend a day there.... Perkins Cove is fantastic, lunch or dinner at Oarweed's and walking the Marginal Way is a must then cross the street and have a Rum Punch or an ice cream on Barnacle Billys deck.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

A

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

We had a fabulous leaf peeping trip last fall Maine/NH. We had a cabin centrally located in Naples, ME; from there we took day trips to the White Mountains one day then to Acadia National Park the next. A must see for me was Mt Washington Hotel then the cog to Mt Washington. Kennebunk Port and Kittery, ME combined for another day trip.

If you are going near RI then I would tour the mansions in Newport--amazing! But that's the type of thing I enjoy as it is peppered with history.

• saraemmasmom
    13 years ago

For lobster rolls or any seafood for that matter, try Arnold's on Route 6 in Eastham, MA on Cape Cod. Don't let the lines scare you! Customers line up early, but the lines move quickly.

If you're an Edward Gorey fan, a visit to his house in Yarmouthport, MA on the Cape is worth the trip. Quirky & interesting!! http://www.edwardgoreyhouse.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnold's

• momj47
    13 years ago

Sounds wonderful, but check on the ferry - I think it stopped running last year.

I took the old, slow ferry a few years ago, I much prefer the drive, visiting the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland, Mt. Baldy near Camden and Acadia, as well as Reversing Falls in St. John, New Brunswick. Lots of great places to eat and see the sights on the trip.

Have a wonderful trip.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Even though you cant take the Ferry from Portland, there is still an option that sounds like fun:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bay Ferries

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

If you're looking for more foodie things to do, the Ben and Jerry's tour in Vermont was great fun when I went there years ago!

Grace

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Sharon, you take the best trips! It's making me want to go somewhere, as my next adventure isn't taking place until fall. Have a great time and enjoy everything you see; I know I would!

• arabellamiller
    13 years ago

For hiking the AT, a great source is outdoors.org - the Appalachian Mountain Club. They have a number of lodges, the one I like the best is the Highland Center at Crawford Notch, it's right down the street from the gorgeous Mt. Washington Hotel. You can even do a hike to one of the huts they run on the AT and stay overnight in a shared bunk and get served dinner and breakfast. It's a step up from tent camping, but a large step down from a hotel. There are a few huts in great spots, and many are easy day hikes - Lucy's done them a bunch of times. If you'd like more info send me an email.

Sounds like a great trip!

AM

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I'm not much help, but my ex FIL loved Boston, said their seafood was the best he'd ever had but that they had "traffic circles" and if you aren't careful you just go round and round and round....

I spent two different summer trips in Maine, one in a cabin on Petit Manon, north of Acadia National Park. Even the McDonald's in Maine had a lobster value meal, LOL.

Oh, and the L.L. Bean outlet was worth a stop for me, I got the best pair of jeans I've ever had there.

Annie

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm really just starting our plans so am open to lots of options. We love history, local culture, geography and scenery and of course the food.

Pam, whale watching would be something we'd love to do. We did do a bit when in Newfoundland and they took my breath away.

Teresa, biking what a great idea...seriously. Clive loves to bike and has been resisting the Martha's Vineyard thing thinking it was too trendy...this may just get him there! As for PEI, truly a piece of heaven. I hope you get there one day. PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are amongst my favourite places in the world.

Alexa I had forgotten about Flo's....for sure we'll stop there and I will be sure to enjoy that wonderful Atlantic Coast of yours.

Saraemmasmom thanks for the tip on "Lobsta" rolls ...I really have to try one or the trip will be for naught!

Cathy, we are actually going to Providence RI, forgot that in my OP. I'll check out the proximity to Newport and make sure we get there because we both love that type of thing.

Momj47....oh poop!I agree that the drive around is wonderful but we have done that several times and I really wanted to do the ferry. Will have to check out the option Alexa posted.

Grace , I could care a less about Ice cream but himself is addicted, thanks for the tip!

AM, not happening in my lifetime! LOL Hiking yes the shared bunks.....not a chance ....and that isn't me speaking! However the Mt Washington Hotel looks amazing ( checked it out on the WEB)

Claire, we love our road trips there is just so much beauty and history and culture and local flavour within striking distance of all of us. Just need to get out and find it!

• triciae
    13 years ago

What a lovely trip, Sharon! Here's some recommendations.

NEWPORT: You can't get as far as Providence & NOT go to Newport. I'm certain there's some law against such a crime! :) lol Anyway, after your feet are hurting from touring the "cottages" I recommend lunch at The Red Parrot, right on the waterfront (Website: http://www.redparrotrestaurant.com/). Order dessert "to go". Drive to Brenton Point State Park on Ocean Boulevard to enjoy your dessert. It's right on the water at the entrance to Newport Harbor. If you're there on a weekend you can also enjoy the beautiful huge kites that clubs fly. It's one of my favorite parks. And for some unknown reason parking is not a problem. (website: http://www.riparks.com/brentonhistory.htm).

PORTSMOUTH, NH

I highly recommend The Dolphin Striker for dinner (Website: http://www.dolphinstriker.com/). The Striker is right on Portsmouth Harbor in a 1761 building. You can enjoy the downtown shops before dinner.

If you want to spend a night near Portsmouth...then I recommend Wentworth By-The-Sea overlooking the Atlantic in New Castle. Wentworth is not a budget inn but it sure is a wonderful place to stay. We've spent a couple anniversary weekends at Wentworth (Website: http://www.wentworth.com/).

It's hard for me to imagine being in NH & not also going to Exeter. If you have time, it's sure worth the time. This is NH's colonial capital & home of Phillips Exeter Academy, one of the premier prep-schools in the US. The campus is awesome as is the colonial town square. For eats in Exeter it MUST be Loaf & Laddle at 9 Water Street, Exeter, NH. Mustangs (Cathy) & I will, probably, differ on what to order but rest assured that anything you choose will be delicious. This is a lunch place.

Right across the street from Loaf & Laddle is the Gilman Garrison House (Website: http://www.historicnewengland.org/historic-properties/homes/gilman-garrison-house/gilman-garrison-house). Definitely worth a tour. It's also an ancestral home from my mother's line. The wonderful steepled church on Exeter town square is where my DS & DDIL were married. My ancesters worshipped there in the 1600s.

Next, I highly recommend you take Route 1 from Portsmouth, NH up the Maine coast. If you take I-95 you're going to miss so much of what makes New England...New England.

WELLS, MAINE

Billy's Chowder House has wonderful seafood stew. They are also known for their lobster stew. Billy's is located on a salt marsh in Wells, Maine. From northbound Route 1 in Wells...look on the right side of the road for a small sign (about 12"x12") that says, "Billy's Chowder House" with an arrow pointing right (east). That's the only sign. Turn right at the next light then be careful because almost immediately on your right side you'll see Billy's but it's the wrong place! It's Billy's Clam Shack. Keep driving & you'll come to Billy's Chowder House on the left right on the marsh (Website: http://www.billyschowderhouse.com/).

I could go on all day about fun places in northern NE but guess I'd better stop with this. :)

/tricia

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tricia thanks for all the great info!

I promise to include Newport on the itinerary I certainly don't want to commit any crimes! LOL

All your suggestions sound wonderful and you can be sure many will be included.

I'm working on the "final" itinerary now and will update you all with our route in case it sparks some more ideas.

• triciae
    13 years ago

Sharon, I don't know if you're interested in antiques? If so, this is a fine gallery. It's right on Route 1 in York, Maine...right on your way...you'll drive past it. It'll be on the left side of the road if you're northbound.

If you like antiques let me know & I'll offer some other recommendations.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: York Antique Gallery

• lori316
    13 years ago

Sharon, this is Rhode Island. It takes less than an hour to drive the entire state. lol

Newport is about 40 minutes from Providence. Hit it after you leave Providence, on your way to the Cape. Take Route 24 and yell a big hello...you'll be within a mile from my house.

It's sad that it takes one of these posts to make me remember how beautiful this part of the country is. I take it for granted sometimes, but it really is a gem.

• stacy3
    13 years ago

I saw NY a couple of times in your post......:-)

• jude31
    13 years ago

Sharon, while you are visiting Woodstock Vt and King Arthur's, be sure to go to the Simon Pearce restaurant at Queechee. Wonderful food and view of the covered bridge from the dining room.. Also a nice gift shop and glass-blowing demos on the lower level.

jude

• triciae
    13 years ago

Sharon,

DH & a couple buddies went fishing today off the coast of Watch Hill, RI. (DH caught a 30" striped bass - guess WFD? lol) Anyway, it made me think about the Ocean House in Watch Hill. It's a beautiful inn in an even more beautiful location. It's truly New England Victorian charm & ambiance at its finest. The village is also a fun place to explore.

Also in Watch Hill is the Flying Horse Merry-Go-Round. It's the oldest in America, made in 1876. The twenty horses are not attached to the floor but instead are suspended from a center frame, swinging out or flying when in motion. Each horse is hand carved wood and is embellished with real tails and manes, leather saddles and agate eyes. It's the only flying horse carousel surviving in the country & was brought to Watch Hill in 1883. It's delightful to watch the children on the Merry-Go-Round & is only a short walk from the Ocean House right on the water.

From Newport, you'd only be about 40-45 minutes to Watch Hill. It's about a 30 minute boat ride from the entrance to Mystic Harbor.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Ocean House, Watch Hill, RI