Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Change Potato to Peach

Posted by donna_loomis (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 14:18

I didn't want to hijack eandhl's post about changing plum to peach, but it reminded me of an embarrassing story from my past and I thought I'd share it with you. It's not about cooking, so if you're not interested in a funny, just SOB.

I am 57 years old. When I was 18 and had been married only a few months, I was at a family gathering at my in-laws' house. A group of us were gathered in the kitchen and my FIL asked me, "Donna, do you know how to turn a potato into a peach?" Of course, I bit. I said that I didn't. He took off one of his socks, dropped a potato into it (which of course stretched the sock), gathered the top of the sock in his fist and held it at his crotch and proclaimed, "Ain't that a peach!"

I can laugh about it now, but at the time I wished I could disappear, but only burst into tears.

Yes, it was crude. I quickly learned not to let his jokes get to me, though. He was actually a sweet man, just had a crude sense of humor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Change Potato to Peach

Oh Donna! lol I'm laughing with you now and crying for you when you were a young bride. That story is so what my own father would have said. I'd like to share one of his "jokes/stories" but I don't know if it's allowed here, or not. If I later thru this thread realize I can share it I'll come back and make another post so you can read what Dad said. We can laugh/cry together!

/tricia

o

Wow. That is a joke that doesn't even make sense! Poor you.

I have a friend who is capable of sophisticated humor but always resorts to something slightly raunchy for the big laugh which I never give him. He isn't insulted, though. He finds it more funny that I simply blow past his crude humor and don't acknowledge it even to say it was rude. I just don't respond at all and keep on talking about whatever is on my mind at the time. He laughs even more at his own joke.

I think sometimes my eyes will work themselves loose from rolling them them around so much. :)

E

o

Donna,

I don't find your FIL's stunt funny, not now, not when I was 18. You're a lot better woman that I am to be able to tell that story and laugh.

Cheryl

o

Donna, that was 39 years ago, so that would make him
'around' 45 years old at the time? That's not old enough to use senility as an excuse. I am an old male and see no
humor in what he did. He had to have been drunk.

o

I don't laugh now because I think it's funny. I can laugh now because I'm not the young, naive, easily embarrassed girl I was once was.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here