Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's with the squirrels?

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 11:25

I live in an old residential area....with a goodly number of oak trees. Most are pin oaks and likely all related. I have 3 smaller ones in my back, neighbor has a big one and I have a big one in front...and neighbors across the street have big old 50 to 60 year old trees....so lots of bushy tailed critters around.
The squirrels are nipping off the tips of the branches of my front yard oak...just about 4 inches of the branch with the leaves.....
No one else's yard is littered with oak twigs....just mine....and it's really littered.
Why? Why are they nipping off the branch ends and why olnly that one tree?
I will post this on a wild life forum....but I sometimes get better answers here than anywhere else.
Linda C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's with the squirrels?

It's a conspiracy...

o
Squirrels.

Bullwinkle may be in on it.

o

They're mad because I put metal sheathing around the area where they were chewing on my deck!! little ba**t***s!

o

They do that to our backyard sugar maple but in the early spring. My guess is that they are nipping off the ends to get to the acorns - collateral damage, ya know. Makes a mess, huh?

/tricia

o

Why don't they do that on the trees across the street....or eat the acorns on the ground?
I still think it's a personal vendetta!!!

o

It probably is, Linda. If you would put out peanuts & sunflower seeds for them, they might leave your tree alone.

P.S. The acorns that have dropped are already too dry for the squirrels - not enough flavor.

As always helpful...

o

I forget the name of your dog, Linda, but can't he chase your squirrels away for you? Our new neighbors have a Great Dane, and squirrels don't come anywhere close any more. At first I was annoyed by the occasional loud barking, but if he is keeping squirrels away, I'm okay with it.

The only pest I have now is yellow jackets, which have been building a lot of nests on the SE eaves of the house. They seemed to do this while we were in Texas, but I have now sprayed most of them so that I would not walk outside from the kitchen into a swarm of them. They also built nests inside the housing for the water heater. I made sure not to spray anywhere near any of the herbs that I am growing, and so I had to move the parsley, dill, and cilantro, but now I am afraid that our lizards may eat some of the poisoned wasps. I think the lizards should have plenty of live food to eat, however, and Kevin said they would not eat dead bugs. I've been seeing lizards quite frequently lately, and they even climb into my herb pots to catch bugs for me.

Lars

o

Squirrels are not at all afraid of Latte....they dance 2 feet in front of her waving their tails.
Then climb to the top of the oak to bite of more branches.

This tree is not "new"....it's 40 years old, we planted it as a 6 foot sapling in 72. Never before did the squirrels do this....why now??

o

They do that all the time to my mother's pin oak trees, but not the other oak trees. They do seem to nip off the new growth to get at the acorns. I have no idea why they have suddenly started to do this to your tree. Maybe some new evil squirrels moved into the neighborhood. Maybe Boris and Natasha Squirrel.

o

I think you need a few of these bad boys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decoys.

o

Click the link

Here is a link that might be useful: A modest proposal

o

Maybe if I could get it high enough into the tree the owl would work....
I can eat squid, raw oysters and clams, mussels, liver...even lobster liver...salmon roe and shad roe, dear, lamb, rabbit etc....but I don't do rodents....

o

I think I have seen this in my neighborhood too. I definitely remember all the bits of leaves and small branches laying around one day - looked like a mini tornado confined to one yard had hit. We have lots of squirrels. And the little buggers bury the pecans everywhere = lots of pecan seedlings springing up.....bah!

Teresa

o

Amazingly....they appear to have stopped nipping off the ends of the branches.....nothing new on the ground for about 4 days...
So what ever zany frenzy made them do it....has stopped....who knows??

o

Amazingly....they appear to have stopped nipping off the ends of the branches.....nothing new on the ground for about 4 days...
So what ever zany frenzy made them do it....has stopped....who knows??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here