SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Need opinions.....Mattresses!

dgkritch
14 years ago

We're in the market for a new mattress.

I'm tired of going the "cheap route", my back hurts!

We currently have a $300 "Tempurpedic knockoff". It's about 3-4 years old and sinking in the middle.

Anyone have a mattress they absolutely love?

I can't afford a super high-end one, but somewhere around $600-ish for a queen-size is doable.

Would love to hear about comfort, durability, price, etc.

Or.....ones to avoid!!!

Deanna (suffering in Oregon! LOL)

Comments (11)

• compumom
    14 years ago

I feel your pain! We bit the bullet and bought a higher end one than ever before, but you just have to go to the stores and lay on them! I found Serta's to be too firm to my liking, but I think that you could get a decent Beautyrest in that price range. They're quite comfortable and should last at least six years. I'd try and get one that doesn't require flipping, rotating should be sufficient.
    It seems like mattresses just don't last like they used to!

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I agree! They dont last like they used to. We had a higher end Kingsdown and after 7 - 8 years it was sagging and had to go. We replaced it with a much cheaper Simmons that is only a few months old, so no long term opinion on it.

And yea, you do need to go lay on them. Take your own pillow and get into sleeping position. Laying on it flat on your back and staring at the ceiling isn't going to give you much of an opionion (unless you sleep like that LOL) you actually need to settle in like you were going to take a nap or something. My friend even brought her blanket! LOL!

Good luck and let us know what you decide on....

Alexa

• jessyf
    14 years ago

somewhere there is a bulletin board called 'whats the best mattress'.net. Good info debunking stuff, excuse the pun.

forum link below. IIRC they like latex, not the tempurpedic viscous memory foam.

Here is a link that might be useful: mattress forum

• compumom
    14 years ago

One thing to keep in mind when you read these forums. They're helpful, but mattress "names", but not the brands, can be different from store to store and from coast to coast.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Well, I have one I love, but it's a waterbed, left over from my hippie days a million years ago, LOL.

Elery says when I grow up, I'll get a "big girl" bed. (grin)

I know, though, that when we finally live together, the waterbed will have to go, so I'll be checking this thread for suggestions. He has some expensive super firm mattress that he bought after back surgery. It makes my back hurt and I can't sleep on it, so we'll have to find a compromise.

Annie

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I think Consumer Reports had a good article about mattresses recently or it was on their web site. They talk about how they are built. They could not give recommendations because it is nearly impossible to compare them.

I agree that you have to try them. I would find a place that will take it back if you are not happy. There is no way that lying on a mattress in the store can compare to a night's sleep. After all, who knows how many people already tried it in the store? It could already be wornout.

I bought one for my guest room that is much firmer than i realized when I bought it, but it's still comfy. It wasn;t very expensive. I can;t remember the brand.

• compumom
    14 years ago

Pam makes a good point about being able to return it. Our new one took me about a week to get used to. One thing that I'm unhappy about is occasionally being able to feel DH move. The Beautyrest has individually tied springs so you don't feel your partner move around.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input so far (and that website, Jessy, I could spend a few weeks reading there!!)

We looked at a few the other day, and I agree, it's hard to compare. So many different styles, construction types, materials, and they're all "the best" according to any given salesperson!! LOL
    That's a great point about return policy. I hadn't really thought of that.

After quickly testing some, I like the feel of a pillow top as opposed to "firm", or "plush". The website Jessy posted had some suggestions to buy a firm and add your own memory foam topper so it can be replaced when it compresses. That might be an option too.

Hmmm.......so many mattresses, so little time!

:-)

NOT what it sounds like.........but go ahead Jessy!!! Run with it!!

We aren't in a huge hurry, but want to take delivery before Thanksgiving (guests).
    I'll keep ya posted!!

Deanna

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

Deanna, that's exactly what my DH and I have. We have a firmer mattress, but spent about $200 for a good 4"-6", memory foam mattress topper. Best thing ever!

It really does make a difference, and the best thing is that it seems to absorb a lot of my DH's tossing and turning to where I don't feel it as much.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

I'll give a recommendation for Sweet Dreams Mattress www.sdmattress.com

I ordered our mattress from them and got a lower price than I could get locally and good advice. They're in NC and I'm in LA and it was painless and easy. They gave me an estimate of when it would be delivered, then the very polite delivery service called the day before to verify and set up exact time and called again that AM. Two nice fellows brought it in and set it all up. I saved time, gas and sales tax.

We went with the Simmons Black Label, but it's an expensive one. The wonderful thing about it is that it has some sort of independent coils so that you can bounce around on one side of the bed, toss/turn, get up etc and the sleeper right next to all this doesn't feel a thing. Since we have a queen size bed and are close together this is wonderful.

Another thing I've heard for those of us ladies who are having "power surges" at night is to stay away from the deep pillowtops. They can trap your body heat and make it miserable.

Grace

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Grace, those "power surges" are definitely becoming an issue!! The foam we have now is pretty warm.
    I'm becoming more interested in adding our own topper, it makes sense to me (maybe that's scary...).

We're going to visit a few more places this weekend, and I'll check out the Sweet Dreams site!

Deanna

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!