SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

The great fence saga continues.......

susie_que
13 years ago

Well after an exhausting week of contractor visits we ended up with 8 fence estimates....we are still waiting on a call back from one on Sat morning.

Based on what I have learned about vinyl fencing the MOST important issue are the rails the fence sits in. The best fences have 7 inch rails.

The second most important issue is virgin vinyl...Jessy be good!! Virgin vinyl is not recycled and has a lifetime guarentee.

So considering all we have to chose from, tonigh we spent our dinner hour figuring out who we were NOT going with.

Right off the bat if you don't offer the best rails you were axed. then we axed those who didn't deal with the VV.

Our next cuts got a little interesting. WE have a large tree in the back yard and some guys instantly said "thats going to be a problem" However some guys said "thats going to be a problem but here are my ideas on dealing with it"!!

Its one thing to nitice a problem but if you have ideas then that tells me you are right for the job.

Last consideration at this point is payment. Some guys demanded half up front to order the product-some asked for a few hundred and some asked for nothing up front.

So now we are down to 3 guys.

Now I am looking at price because now its a level playing field.

I would like to call each of the final 3 and ask them if the price quoted was their best offer.

If all 3 say yes then its a no brainer however I'd like to give them each the opportunity to get the job.

Of the 3 final guys, 2 of them are really close in price and the other is about $3000 more.

The last issue is I want to call the other guys and let them know that we are not going with them....Frank feels its not neccessary however I know these guys are just going to keep hounding my cell so I want to just end it nicely and I feel a quick call to say no thanx would be appropriate.

Now on to the cement guys. Really all we wanted was a front walk re-do however since I will have money available for these projects we figured why not get all cement work done at once....I have seen 6 cement guys and those prices are all over the place!! It will be much more difficult to chose a cement contractor!!

With all these balls in the air its a good thing I am a good juggler!!

Cheers!

Susie

Comments (7)