SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momj47

No matter how careful you are...............

momj47
13 years ago

I had quite a scare yesterday.

Yesterday morning, I was walking through the garage to visit Port Discovery Children's Museum with my granddaughter. She stumbled and fell, and I stumbled over her. Trying to catch my balance, I went down on my knees and my face, leading with my nose, and hit the bumper of a car, my neck snapped back. There was my granddaughter, sitting in the middle of the driveway crying and I was bleeding and crying. It was a mess. Since I wasn't paralyzed, (a real fear when my neck snapped back), I wasn't going to hang around downtown Baltimore. I called my daughter (I'm sure I scared her) so she could get Mary, who was so scared and couldn't stop crying.

I drove out of the city and we met up at a nearby suburban ER so she could get Mary and I could get some care. Fortunately, my granddaughter wasn't hurt, just a scrape on her arm. Wish I could say the same for me. I broke my nose, which I pretty much knew when I hit the bumper, I didn't break my knee, but it is terribly swollen and my neck was so sore, but fortunately nothing was broken. But I sure have lots of aches and pains today.

I was back home in about three hours (there's nothing like a quiet suburban ER), my other daughter came and waited and drove me home. Mary was still very upset, talking about Nana crying and yelling and bleeding. We'll have to find a few activities to catch her attention and give her new memories.

I am always so careful, holding handrails on stairways, not carrying heavy items, no throw rugs, etc. But it was a completely unexpected and bizarre accident that got me.

Things could have been so much worse, for both Mary and me. I'm just so thankful I was the only one hurt and I'll heal up very quickly.

Comments (21)