SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Upcoming cataract surgery (Warning: whining)

sooz
12 years ago

I'm more than a bit nervous. I had a pars plana vitrectomy with epiretinal membrane peel last year (scary! but successful) and an expected side-effect is a cataract developing within 3 years--sometimes as quickly as 3 months. Well, it's been about a year and it's like my glasses have a thin film of Vaseline on the right lens.

I'm near-sighted with astigmatism and wear glasses with bifocals. My cataract surgeon said the "strength" of the IntraOcular Lens is up to me based on how I want use my vision.

She also said that in about 5 years time, I'd probably need cataract surgery on my "good" eye and that they usually correct the good eye for distance. Great. Yeah. Another joy of aging.

She said if I want to opt for distance (daily living, driving), usually the IOL is -0.25; for intermediate vision (i.e. computer use, TV ), the IOL would be -1.25; and for reading, the IOL would be -2.25.

How on earth am I supposed to decide ???

That is SCARY for me! I don't mind wearing glasses with bifocals, but to LOSE my near vision forever if I opt for "daily living" or for "computer/TV" vision???? To lose forever being able to read without my glasses at bedtime, to lose being able to thread a needle, to lose being able to do close art work or calligraphic lettering etc! Sure, there are reading glasses, but it's the idea that I'll be LOSING the close vision I have and I'll never get it back.

I have another appt with the surgeon (before the pre-op appt) for a consultation because I have so many more questions! I guess if I knew more, I wouldn't be so weird about this or I'd know what questions to ask. I'll be doing some more research and reading this upcoming week.

If anyone has any experience with the different strengths of IOLs, and how you made your decision, and how was your vision before and and how is it after cataract surgery, and how you're doing now, please do share!

Now I'll have some cheese with this whine...

Comments (9)