SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

Should I take down my hummingbird feeder?

Gina_W
11 years ago

I am freaking out a little here. The beautiful little buggers are highly territorial and belligerent. Sometimes there will be a dominant bird that guards the feeder and swoops in to intercept any other bird who tries to feed. The intercepted bird will either fly away - be chased off. Or turn toward the guarder for a faceoff and skirmish.

In the last couple of years I've picked up about three dead birds and had a couple of birds stunned on my deck from doing battle.

The feeder is right outside my dining area large window, so I can hear and see the dog-fights, and it is starting to bother me.

I just witnessed two birds literally wrestling around on my deck before they flew off.

I'm wondering if I should keep the feeder up or not. Whether the little terrors will do the same level of fighting over the salvias and other hummingbird-friendly plants in my garden, or is it specifically the feeder that is making them so deadly.

A friend of mine has over a dozen feeders up in his garden and says the birds don't fight. But I don't know how many feeders I would have to put up until the warring buggers don't fight and kill each other anymore.

Any thoughts?

Comments (8)