SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

I'm back, but where did I go?

jessyf
14 years ago

IÂve been gone for a few months from real life and the forum. The family has been eating my fast-food cooking, burgers, souvlaki, spaghetti and meat sauce, repeat. IÂve ignored my friends etc. I was working 24/7 researching our family tripÂtime to share. But you need to guess where I went, three hints below. Those of you who know, keep yer mouths shut! Full trip report and pictures, mostly food, to follow on the Gallery, simultaneously posting if you just want to jump there. IÂm home and exhausted!

Hint One:

Hint Two:

Hint Three, IÂve mentioned this as my favorite quote:

One of the hints was supposed to be a sign saying 'AELTC' but we couldn't get there.

Post your guesses, then click over to the Gallery....

Here is a link that might be useful: Link at the Gallery, full report

Comments (24)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Too easy......
    Linda C

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

heh heh Linda

(and a BIG thank you to Sharon and whoever else did birthday coverage!)

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

Yes, way too easy!

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Even me who's never travelled outside the US..except to British Columbia...knows where you went..LOL First clue nailed it but second confirmed..don't know nothing bout the third. LOL

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Groovy signs! I know the country but not the specific towns, at least not for sure.

Great to have you back. I was wondering today if I should worry. . . .

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Way too easy especially the first photo.

• denise8101214
    14 years ago

I know! I know! (Waves hand in air madly)

Welcome back!

Did you have tomatoes for breakfast? or any spotted dick?

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I know too, but I cheated. You told me, LOL.

Annie

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I know where you went -- I lived in that country for a year when I was 16 and have gone back a couple of times, but it's been way too long.

I'm soooo envious!

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

I know, I know...only because you told me.

Going over to the Gallery!

Glad you are home and I'm envious too:-)

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(yeah I figured the first one was a give-away but not every one has read the books)

I figured standing next to a sign that said 'AELTC' - All England Lawn and Tennis Club, aka Wimbledon, would present a bit more of a challenge but it was impossible to get in this year with British Andy Murray looking likely to get to the finals, and the Williams sisters powering through every day.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Well, heck! I replied here last night and it somehow disappeared. That has happened a few times lately.

Your narrative took me back to when I went to England in 1980. I walked many of the places that you and your family walked. I loved St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey and saw Warwick Castle before it was "Disney-vised." Lower Slaughter was my favorite village.

If/when I go back again, I want to visit York, Devon, Cornwall, and Edinburgh again. Thanks for the visit!

Teresa

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

We used to have a dining room in Mtl that served Sally Lunn buns for tea, I hope you had some !!

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

You went to Hogwarts!! How Cool! :-)

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I am envious! It has been a few years since I have taken a trip to Europe. I really need to go again!

Glad you had a good time!

Linda

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Did you have to sleep in the cupboard under the stairs?

Sounds wonderful and I am popping over to see you pics now. Welcome home.

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Welcome back!!!

Missed you! But your vaca looks awesome.

Nancy

• compumom
    14 years ago

Welcome home! I did know your destination, but after reading about three days of your journey, I need a vacation! LOL
    catch up on some needed rest, you did an awesome job of planning this trip!

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Teresa, your post didnÂt get lost, I think it was on the other thread, grin. IÂd like to cover Wales, Scotland and the lake district next time. I wasnÂt as impressed with Bath as much as everyone else is. Over run by tourists, and IÂm more interested in history than architecture.

Mitch, nope, we were heading for dinner next door at the time, so no Sally Lunns for us, I figured I could make them at home, myself.

Bizzo, LOL, I tried pushing through that wall heh heh, would have been shorter than the drive to OxfordÂs Christ Church college for the dining hall of Hogwarts.

Linda, wait a bit. The dollar is a bit stronger (1.6 exchange, better than the 2.0 of a few years ago) now but it was still horrifically expensive.

Pam, nope no cupboards for me, LOL! There are whole HP filming site tours, kids weren't interested, :-(

• denise8101214
    14 years ago

but Jessica, next time, you have to go to Devon and Yorkshire and Cambridge and Avebury and back to London .... and Paris....as well

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Jessy, you WERE missed. Sounds like you had a great time. What did the kids like best?

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sherry, I still feel like I'm not back yet, sigh. DS16 liked being out of London, he liked the countryside, and he liked British TV. DS14 liked Oxford and Fortnum and Mason. I liked everything because I planned what I wanted to see bwahahahaha

• shaun
    14 years ago

Were you in prison?

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

I'm finished!

Now this is a great travelog! I loved reading every tidbit and looked at every picture. I know you guys had a blast. Are you as excited as I am about the new Harry Potter movie coming out? Can't wait!

Seriously, you and Cathy should look into private travel arranging for people :-) I would use you both because I'm not so good at it.

Now I want to go to England, thankyouverymuch!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!