SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Car Accident....Questions

doucanoe
12 years ago

Last week on my way to work a woman ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of me when I was less than 30 feet from the intersection. I hit the brakes but there was nothing I could do but watch my car (seemed like slow motion) T-Bone her car. (There were no injuries.)

Long story short, there was a witness and her insurance company is taking 100% responsibility. Estimated damage to my car is around $2700. (at least this one had insurance....YAY) Her insurance company will pay for the repairs to my vehicle and pay for a rental car while my car is in the shop.

I do not mean to come off as greedy, but do I have a right to ask/expect them to cover my time and expenses to (1.) get the estimates, and (2.) lost time from work?

It's not a huge amount, but I drove nearly 40 miles each way to the dealership for one estimate, I'll have to go 30 miles each way to get the rental car, and even the two body shops in town are 12 miles from where I live. With gas at $3.69 a gallon it adds up.

Just wondering. I could name a bazillion other things I'd rather be doing with my free time.

Linda

Comments (10)

• spacific
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about your accident Linda.

Absolutely you have a right. You are entitled to compensation for ALL of your inconveniences. Document everything. Write down all the hours you are spending not only driving back and forth, but making calls to the insurance companies, calling for estimates, etc.

I work for myself and when I was in a similar accident last year, the insurance company paid me for EVERY hour I lost away from work, every penny I spent (including gas), etc.

Take a look at the Nolo site. They have a lot of very clear advice on how to handle a vehicle accident.

Also, even if you were not bruised and banged up, please consider going to a medical practitioner if you are showing any signs of soreness, loss of sleep, etc.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: NOLO: Take notes after an accident or injury

• Lars
    12 years ago

Make sure that you document your mileage, and then you should be able to get paid for it, but it depends on the laws in your state.

Sorry to hear about your accident - there are so many bad drivers and so many people fail to yield at intersections where they clearly do not have the right of away. I'm always having to slam on brakes to avoid collisions, or else swerve out of their way. Fortunately, my commute is 1.3 miles, and so I do not drive very much.

Lars

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your input. I will document all of my efforts and talk to the adjuster. I feel kind of guilty asking them to compensate me for those things but as I said, it does afdd up quickly. I'm just not one of those people that will take advantage of an accident to try to milk an insurance company for huge sums of money.

This past week I have been so "gun shy" if you will. Watching every move of every driver on the roads! I don't trust anyone right now, but I am sure things will all get back to normal soon. I remember going thru the same thing a couple of years ago when the uninsured woman ran a light and hit me. That was a nightmare, I am so glad this girl had insurance!

Linda

• ritaotay
    12 years ago

Yes you should be compensated but you may have a hard time collecting if you've already agreed to repairs only...

Rita

• gellchom
    12 years ago

I would not expect to be compensated for my time. The other expenses are reasonable to ask.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I just got off the phone with the adjuster. All of the mileage to get this done is at my expense. "It's not part of the policy coverage".

Like I said it's not a huge amount, but being I don't live in a metro area, it does add up quickly.

As I always say...you never come out ahead (or even) when dealing with an insurance company. It's a guarantee that you'll take a hit.

But thanks for all your advice! It was worth asking.

Linda

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I just got off the phone with the adjuster. All of the mileage to get this done is at my expense. "It's not part of the policy coverage".

Like I said it's not a huge amount, but being I don't live in a metro area, it does add up quickly.

As I always say...you never come out ahead (or even) when dealing with an insurance company. It's a guarantee that you'll take a hit.

But thanks for all your advice! It was worth asking.

Linda

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

Linda, you need to disable the invisibilty cloak on your car so that people can see you!

I'm glad you and the other driver are okay, but what a pain to have to go through that again, or at all, for that matter.

Sally

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, Sally! I thought the same thing! It's either me or the stop lights/signs that seem to be invisible on the routes that I take!

Linda

• jessyf
    12 years ago

All I can say is &^%$#*)&@!!!!!!!