SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

The Big Spanish Fiesta Yesterday

canarybird01
15 years ago

Yesterday, July 15, was one of the main summer local fiestas here in Puerto de la Cruz.

The day when the fishermen honour their patrons, the Virgen del Carmen and San Telmo.

It's an amazing spectacle of emotion, tears, splashing water, horns, music and exultation.

As the procession nears the water the crowds sing and clap and music from a loudspeaker nearly drowns out the sound of splashing.

The crowd downtown yesterday.

After a religious church ceremony, the fishermen carry the statues of their patrons on their shoulders down to the edge of the water at the fishermens' harbour, and place them on little decorated boats for a sail around the bay. The local people and especially the younger Canarians are waiting in the water, where they begin splashing and shouting at a fever pitch. The fishermen, and especially the ones carrying the effigies are dressed in white with blue sailor collars. Their emotions and those of the people in the crowd begin to surface and tears flow as their Virgen is taken down to bless the waters on which they will sail during the coming year.

The bearers carrying the statue of the Virgen del Carmen.

I was considering going down there with a camera to record the event but was cautioned that it would be safer to stay and watch it on TV as anyone in the town was automatically drenched with water pistols and buckets of water, as it was a hot day and after all, it was a fiesta of water. So I stayed home, avoiding the crowds and extreme heat and just took a couple of images from the TV.

Images of the Virgen del Carmen (left) and San Telmo (right) being carried on the shoulders of the fishermen.

Watch the little video of last year's event on You Tube.....this unbelievable fiesta is the same every year!

Best seen full screen, by a click at the bottom right corner of the image.

A Tenerife English website explanation of the fiesta

Here's a good Video from last year's event.

And here'san excellent photo slideshow also from last year, photographed by Luis Miguel Parra and seen on his PBase website.

One important event which I'm sorry I missed as I didn't know about it ....also in July (I'll go next year) is the annual bathing of the goats!

The local goat herders, following an old custom, bring their goats down to this same harbour and push them in the water for their annual bath!

Apparently quite a site as the reluctant goats are coaxed into the sea!

Here's a humorous report with photos.

SharonCb

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022