SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyman_gw

About 3 AM and restless

bunnyman
13 years ago

Yeah... one of my usual crying rants because I'm stressed enough to scream my lungs out. Drank myself to sleep for awhile and now I have a pounding headache. A whole Coke and bowl of dark cherry ice cream with chocolate syrup is just not making it go away. Work has me not just stressed out but angry... really angry. Monday or perhaps tomorrow if my phone calls are returned I get to meet with a lawyer. Going to see if I can cause enough trouble to get some people arrested... a very high probability that I can. Until then I have to sit and grind my teeth. People at work were using some chemicals that were making others sick... not just a bit but over 50 gallons of a mixture of naphtha, ethyl benzene, xylene, and 1,2,4 trimethyl benzene was dumped on the floor... right next to people working. When they got sick I was called because I'm the first responder for medical situations at work. I tried to have everyone leave the area but was confronted by a supervisor who demanded they keep working. When I went to speak with the HR Manager she informed me she was leaving the building so she would not get sick. I went to see the acting Manufacturing Manager and he approved having everyone leave the affected area. So I went back to my job only to learn later that people were not allowed to leave the affected area. I'm just stunned that a manager would leave the building to protect themself but not order other employees to leave. I guess after looking down on hourly people for awhile they don't really seem like human beings anymore. I probably should have called the police in right then but stupidly tried to find a simple peaceful solution like removing people from the affected area. Pretty much expect to be fired for bringing a lawyer into this but that is part of the reason I'm going to get a couple lawyers involved. With a little luck I can get the managers sent to jail before they fire me...

Anyways... thanks for letting me vent a little. Anyone here like Dilana?... sort of ot but I need some distraction

: )

lyra

Here is a link that might be useful: music that helps me destress some

Comments (79)

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well this morning Dolly licked up the remaining beans. The apple and carrots are gone. Don't know if JEB got a sip but some of that whiskey seemed to be gone. A slept like a baby for well over 6 hours.

So far the MSP and the AG/DNR/DEQ people have made contact with my employer. They still have a line of government complaints that will be incoming. I can pretty much tell as they get hit because I'm getting urgent but polite and repectful requests for details on different topics from various company people.

JEB was just leading the Cavalry charge...

Thinking I might need to build a barn. Never know when a guest horse might need a comfortable stall for the night.

Okay... maybe being a bit metaphorical... but who knows what that was in the fog? Pretty certain my employer can attest that something big and fast hit them hard.... that times have become very interesting for them.

Now I need to play the peace maker. Managers that had nothing to do with this need to be assured the floor workers are not rioting. Nobody is going to be violent or rude. We all have jobs to get on with.

I still have that pile of rocks if needed.

lyra

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL!... Ol' Jeb gots these fellers figured out. He just took a taste of that whiskey without drinking it down because they want to fight some more.

Called into a office and lectured by two idiots. They told me it is an employee's fault if the workplace is unsafe. Wrong... Mi law is a "safe and healthful workplace" with the employer being responsible. Tried to tell me it was a harmless chemical! Oh?... gotta ask why you left to avoid exposure. She actually said she was special because she has asthma. Then she admitted they didn't have the MSDS available when they first started using this chemical. So... employees should know ahead of time they will get sick from unknown chemicals they don't know they will be exposed to.

One manager tried to get tough and then broke down in tears. For a moment I even felt bad for her. She should have let the tears roll and kept firing... I'd have taken that as a sign of honesty. Oh gee... I didn't know it was over 50 gallons... thanks... don't mind if I take notes do ya? Sympathy level at zero when she told me the chemicals were safe because they had "less then 10,000 lbs". LOL... we didn't complain about you dropping them on someone.

They regrouped and came again. This time an engineer's name popped out of their mouth as being at fault. Sorry again... I know Cassie and she ain't that stupid. That engineer even works at a different factory from the one where this took place. Maybe she did but I'll place my bets that it ain't so. Now I let out to the other managers that these two are putting blame on others that were not at the crime scene. Love it when they start to blame each other. United they might make a stand but divided they will go down! JEB already learned that lesson the hard way.

Fact remains that several people got sick because our own policy was not followed... not to mention laws broken.

I might be a bit crazy but it looks like General Stuart has my rear, flank, and forward covered very well. I better at least put out some more carrots and apples just in case ghost horses like treats.

lyra

... am I a *itch with what?!

• Related Discussions

Secret Squirrel is getting restless.

Q

Comments (150)
    Klick~ Yes email me anytime.. You said ou were working on your masters too? I got my MSN 4 years ago and had to write a thesis.. I did it on Woman's knowledge of cardiovascular risk factors.. I won Nurse Investagator of the year.. Pretty cool... I got my final gift today and I thank you very much. It is so cool that you sent that to me I am going up North this summer to look for some Ostrich Fern I guess they are native here. Klick sent me a really cool map lookin thing that has all the plants native to Michigan, and some great smelling lotion and some super gingery altoids.. Thanks Susan~ I sent out your gifts together for 3-4 because I misaddressed week 3 and it came back to me. So 3-4 will be there soon in one box... Laura
    ...See More

I am about to quit growing tomatoes!! I am at my wits end!

Q

Comments (16)
    Cool, Worth. I like to make peace between our native Lepidoptera and gardeners. I asked a while back if planting cilantro really did work. I think if it does, it will be the best way to build that bridge between us and insects. if hornworms only stayed on their side of the fence, no one would ever have incentive to kill them. they are large, high-profil insects which have big appetites. If you think a hornworm is voracious, try feeding out some Cecropia or Polyphemus cats! Sheesh! Cecropias get nearly 5" and a Poly is only 4' at the longest, but thicker and heavier than a tobacco worm. Well, Carolyn posted how cilantro does not always work. Maybe even mere coincidence. I have NO cilantro and still NO hornworms at all! Last year, I regularly combed my neighbor's tomato plants and found only 6 or 7 larvae--all of which were parasitized by the dreaded tachinid fly. This fly [an introduced species, has not only taken a huge toll on sphingids, but has been responsible for the extinction of a few saturniids and is still taking a huge toll on existing species! My neighbor told me just 30 years ago, hornworms were everywhere. I can believe it. Nature is out of whack and the virtual local extinction of the beautiful Io moth only proves it! I used to find Io's like you find hornworms--30 some years ago. I always reared Io's every summer. Now, I haven't even seen a wild Io in 15 years! Yes, hornworms are quite pretty. Not as ornate as our sat cats, but remarkably designed and strategically camouflaged. Green, the color of most plants, caterpillars and even some birds--is also my favorite color. Another hornworm and non-pest, is the ash sphinx, also found in Austin, and the ofen colorful white-lined sphinx. Unfortunately, disease, not insects, has destroyed much of my crop and if I don't get hornworms soon, I'm just going to abort about half of my plants!
    ...See More

How many blankets for me/DH - restless sleepers?

Q

Comments (19)
    Ilanab, silk comforters used to be only for the very wealthy. But with China's market opening up and their getting more modern manufacturing, the prices have come down. I've seen silk filled comforters on the web as low as $69.00. If you google them you can read up on them on various sites. They also sell on eBay and Overstock.com. Recommended care is keep them in a duvet cover and wash the cover; air the comforter in the sunshine twice a year. Spot clean if needed. If absolutely necessary, you can launder them in your washing machine and either air or tumble dry. Frequent washing can damage the silk layering system, they say. Thanks for letting me know you're enjoying my Gallery posts! Happy baby to you!! :D Is this your first? I know THE best homemade gift you can give the grandparents every Chrismas, if you are interested.
    ...See More

For those with Restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom Disease.

Q

Comments (9)
    I've been taking Neurontin (brand name of gabapentin) for restless leg syndrome for over 15 years. It's prescribed by my sleep doc. I take it every night without fail and never have a problem. I rarely wake before morning but if I do it's for a bathroom visit. I take the brand version rather than the generic because the generic doesn't work effectively for me. Sleep matters were discussed in a recent thread. Anyone who has trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep should see a sleep doctor. The treatments and therapies they provide can be life changing. There's more involved than just personal comfort because the failure to get normal sleep can have a very negative impact on many parts of your body and on your health overall.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    13 years ago

Love reading how you are maneuvering! Just make sure that you say nothing but the truth...
    Might be a good idea to build that barn.....

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Whatever it takes. If you hadn't pursued this they would just have kept doing the same things. It sounds like a number of managers' principal concerns are their own skins and they'll play the sympathy card, the intimidation card, the pass-the-buck card. Anything except acknowledge fault. That's too bad. A good manager can make all the difference in health and safety.

There are lots of veterans who have horror stories about the long-term risks of chemical exposure and could give any supervisor inclined to minimize the risks a graphic picture of potential consequences. (I'm married to one.)

If for no other reason it's important to pursue this and go on the record. Someone may need it for medical care or a lawsuit down the road.

Instead of *itch, call it Nemesis.

Carol

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say.... "Carry On"!!!!!

Congratulations on sticking up for what you know is right.

Grace

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh this is rich. So I told you the story of two idiot managers. It was just them and me. Perhaps JEB but General Stuart ain't going to testify in any mortal court of law. Soooo... maybe I didn't hear right. Maybe I lied. Maybe it didn't happen that way.

Almost need a drum roll for the next stupid stunt!

They have now called in over a half dozens employees and berated them almost word for word. Ta-da! Now we have a number of witnesses.

I want to take popcorn to work today. A little voice screaming inside my head for me to behave.

Shot glass was empty this morning. It was a small shot of expensive bourbon... but it went somewhere.

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update as I may refer to this thread in the future. Pretty much a case study. Things I could have done different and things that worked well.

Very quiet... a silence that says something. I don't expect to update until Monday... a quiet weekend's work expected. Going to watch my back.... more quiet then I'm comfortable with. I ain't seen any sign of JEB... either resting or watching from some hopefully quiet vantage point.

I'd like to thank everyone! I feel like I can respect myself... which is my selfish need out of this.

• lindac
    13 years ago

In the end that's all the reason we ever do anything that is in the least bit risky...for self respect.
    And just because you can't see them, the cavalry has your back!!

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mostly quiet. A strange new identity at work. One of my favorite young gals has taken to calling me "Mr. Mike". I'm making routine decisions without having a confrontation about it. The luxury of just doing my job!

Probably let this thread drop away now unless there is something interesting to report.

The State Police worked well. The word that reached every fellow employee was that I had called the State Police. They Dective didn't do much other then make contact but that was plenty. Even if he is doing more the police don't usually say much while they work. While an unusual tactic it worked... normal course it to "call OSHA". I just fell back on OSHA is a law not an agency.

Lawyers also worked well. Many bases were and are covered... if anyone wants to fight more.

oh... Thanks again JEB! Bring that horse around... I have more apples and more growing on the tree.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Lyra, good for you. Please update if anything else major happens.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Mr. Mike, I hope you start getting the respect you deserve. I can't imaging working under the constraints you have had over the years.

Rest now brave warrior!

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It appears I have had the affect I was looking for.

More chemical will be used. The factory is going to be closed to production that entire day. That will give the chemical plenty of time to dry and workers get a Sunday off.

Bit of karma... the manager that was probably most responsible for the decision to use the chemicals without stopping production broke their arm. Can't help but wonder if a horse bit them.

Alas... my mind is wandering off to work when it should be making lunch...

lyra

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the Governor's people just called me. They gave me the name and number of the Supervisor in charge of the OSHA investigation. I've been assured that they will share the results of that investigation.

The ER for me on Monday. Doc does not know. I'm on antibiotics and no drinking at all. Not so sick I can't work. Just enough time to grab some squash to give away at work... see ya'll soon. Life!... 30 y/o scotch under my nose and I can't have none.

lyra

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Yes, that's life, we first have to earn our rewards.....and 30 year old scotch.

OSHA will do their job, they did here and they also followed up. I'm glad the company is at least doing what they should have done in the first place.

Yup, a good swift kick from the right horse could break an arm.

Annie

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Lyra, Hugs for you. Please let us know what you find out about your health.

Ya got me worried, this has been going on for too long.

Nancy

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

Call the local news. Embarrassment is more effective than anything else. If at all possible, record your conversations with everyone. Often, just telling someone you're going to record them makes them do the right thing.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

I for one keep checking this thread for updates. Please continue!

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not much good to report. A couple managers (the idiots) are playing chicken. They have called me a liar to my face. At this point I can pretty much request that the company be fined. I have worked so hard to make the company money and now find it upsetting that I have to make them throw some away. They must not know I have a copy of the letter OSHA sent them... and as of this afternoon they are in non-compliance.
    My fellow workers are very supportive and so are some of the managers. Most agree that what was done was wrong. I know it was but having the agreement of others that may be affected by my actions is very helpful.

A cool gentle breeze tonight. I'm going to put some apples out just in case a hungry horse happens along. No booze as I'm still on antibiotics. They seem to be helping. Thinking I had better ask the Doc for another two weeks worth.

lyra

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hooray for the OSHA people.... NOT!

Foot dragging incompetent morons. My "complaint" was dated two weeks after it was made. A "certificate of recognition" was sent to my employer who made a shrine out of it in the lunchroom. My employer was not required to even respond.

I talked to a OSHA supervisor this morning. She seemed unaware the complaint had gone unanswered.

I feel like a complete idiot for giving "the system" time to work. I suspect my employer and the State of Michigan are stretching things out trying to make me miss federal filing deadlines. I sort of knew by the smirks I've been getting from the managers they were up to something. Just let me get proof of this monkey business and I'll be calling the FBI to complain about corrupt government.

Meanwhile a man-lift was crashed into a block wall knocking out enough blocks to make a doorway. The operator had to be sent to the hospital. A hi-lo truck has been tipped over by an unlicensed operator that was engaged in horseplay.

Suppose I need to take another day off work and spend the day chasing down government agents and demanding they do the job they are paid to do. Wonder what Aunt Jenny would think if I sent her a bill for my time.

Hmmm... my call was just returned by the State and they are "reviewing" documents. They are busy and didn't have time to follow up like they told me they would.

I can't hold on to my sanity in times like this. Probably better pick up another bottle of burbon. The whole system seems rigged to make me go away. Bet they didn't count on me having a pile of rocks.... getting to be time to break some glass. Just twists my tail having deadlines to file a federal complaint and having the State waste my time like this.... if I miss the deadline I don't have a valid complaint.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I feel for you Bunnyman. I know exactly what it is like. Trying to work with a government agency and report fraud and wrongs will get you nothing but frustration. Government is all about corruption and politics. None of it is about doing the right thing. Been there!

• lindac
    13 years ago

Bunny get the press behind you....make them aware of what you see happening....get an investigative reporter on the scene...talk about it somewehre but here and in the bar!!
    Linda C

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I spoke with "OSHA Enforcment" person number three today. Seems Jeremy the Inspector is out "on vacation... err no in training".... all week.

I'm guessing I should pitch a rock at somebody's window. Stupid me for not doing a lawsuit from the get go. At least then I could spend a bunch of my money on a corrupt system.

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Up all night with stress. Stomach allowed me 2.5 drinks before revolting and not allowing any further alcohol consumption. Lay in bed for a couple hours but just more awake the longer I lay there.

Filled out a second request for assistance from Governor Granholm. Probably time for me to do at least one action a day. Need to sit down with the lawyers again. One option is to file a lawsuit and haul everyone into a courtroom. Shame I can't sue for lost sleep. Thinking about seeing a shrink and going for stress related workman's comp.

Probably going to call in sick today because the sun is about to come up and I've not slept a wink tonight.

Posting mostly because I'm up when I should be sleeping... partly to document the abysmal response I'm getting from government inspectors who are paid to check into things like this.

Maybe now that day breaks sleep will come?

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here we are in the Twilight Zone again!

In my mailbox yesterday was finally a letter from the State OSHA people. It came after I complained to the Federal people that the State people were obstructing the investigation. It looks like I was right about the State OSHA people playing silly games with me. A "reply" from my employer dated.... the 14th of July! LOL!... State OSHA did not accept my complaint until the 28th of July. Hmmmm... we have a timeline problem here.

The letter indicates that the police contacted OSHA and that the matter was settled between OSHA, the police, and my employer. I get the feeling they want me pushed out of this. Very strange a complaint should be settled before it is accepted.

I'm seeing Judges, courtrooms, lawyers in the future of this. I already filed a whistleblower complaint against the State OSHA people. The Feds thought that a bit much and wanted to go with a CASPA complaint instead. I don't care... I filed my complaint so far as I can see I made my deadline for filing. If this case was shut before it was opened that would support my claim of harassment from the way I look at things. No mention in the OSHA letter of what was discussed by the police and OSHA people. Think I should have at least been able to review that to make certain they had the correct information. After all... I was there they were not.

Police Detective told me he knew our HR manager. If I recall correctly our HR manager also knows the OSHA guy. I suspect they are trying to run this past me to protect her. Getting about time to have some lawyers and a Judge have a look. I'm so not cool with cronyism. I've long been told nothing happens at a State level because people know each other. Probably my bad for not hitting the Federal court system right from the start. On the other hand we have created an interesting document trail.

I was sleeping but this is getting pretty intense at the moment. No idea what I was dreaming about but certainly awoke with this churning away in my mind. Something I need to put my finger on but feel blind at the moment. Maybe Jeb has ideas to share....

Hmmm... I have another paper to file! Almost forgot to file WPA with the State. With this last information I think I've got a door to knock on.

lyra

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh man... talk about herding cats!

Now I get a letter from the State OSHA supervisor asking me to file a complaint if I have a safety issue at work! Suppose if the field inspector hid the original complaint the supervisor would be baffled by the CASPA paperwork? Funny the supervisor's letter has the same date as the inspector's letter closing the case! This is not going to help their case when the WPA paperwork hits.

Did some research on the chemicals involved. Now I'm more disturbed and determined then ever. One of the chemicals is a cancer causing agent. Not just a suspected carcinogen but this stuff gets in your body and does not get back out. It hangs out and damages DNA. Everyone exposed last July including myself now has a permanent increase in cancer risk. Not just a general risk but this stuff causes a particular type of cancer. NIOSH recommends a resperator for 1/2 part per million and a full face mask for 1 part per million because it is such a high risk for cancer.

So the OSHA Inspector thinks the case is closed... I'm just getting started. Probably time for me to call the Federal people again and complain some more. They worked pretty good at getting this latest round of documents broke loose...

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Lyra, I'm following this saga and hope you get someone off their A$$. Now to know it is a known cancer risk....Yikes!

Nancy

• lindac
    13 years ago

another standing behind you and cheering!

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Go get 'em, Tiger. They had their chance.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Keep at it, it's worth it for yourself and everyone else.
    I know it may be difficult, although I liked The Insider, but go watch Erin Brockovich again. And The Insider w/Russell Crowe.

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the support messages! It means something to me. My fellow employees are being very supportive. Most of them are afraid... some were recently drug tested in a way that was anything but random. After 10 years with the company I'll be drug tested on the 4th of next month. I think they are fishing hard for a reason to fire me.

I've not seen Erin Brockovich but Karen Silkwood is on my mind. IF the MSP Detective did take part in a cover-up I've really got to watch my back. One of the first things he said to me was that he knew our HR lady... hmmm hmmm hmmm. Does men being stupid over an attractive woman explain how some of these events have happened? Sort of like the one piece of a jigsaw puzzle that makes all the odd little pieces come together into a clear picture.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

So sorry to read about your trouble. I was the safety director & laboratory director for an environmental firm for 6 years. I own & operate and environmental company now. I just went through the OSHA 10 class about a month back.

According to OSHA, you can not be fired for filing a complaint. That doesn't mean that the company can't fish for other reasons to fire you. You can file a complaint anonymously.

If your boss is buddies with the local OSHA office you might want to go through their hot line & explain briefly the situation to get someone less bias to investigate. The phone # is 1800-321-6742. Michigan is in Region 5 phone (312)353-2220.

Get familiar with the OSHA standard: 29 CFR 1910 & 1926

1904.39 - 1904.42 record keeping & reporting
    1910.132 personal protective equipment
    1910.134 respiratory protection
    1910.1003 carcinogens
    1910.1200 hazardous communication

1926.20 General safety & health provisions
    1926.28 Personal protective equipment
    1926.55 Vapors, Gases, fumes dusts & mists
    1926.57 Ventilation
    1926.59 hazardous communication
    Subpart E - personal protective equipment _1926.95-107 and maybe subpart Z - Toxic & Hazardous Substances

I'd get familiar with at least these sections of OSHA. Also see if you can get copies of the MSDS sheets of the chemicals you were exposed to from your safety officer. If you can't get the MSDS sheets, see if you can get the names of the chemicals. The manufacturer should be able to supply you with them.

Sorry to sound like a preacher. It makes me angry. I'm a business owner now in the environmental field and I do my best to protect my people. If I think it's going to be particularly nasty, I do the job myself.

I hope this helps.

Becky

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Well if the other sections don't help cure you insomnia, here's a few more sections of OSHA that particularly pertain to benzene. I'm sorry I didn't include it earlier. I don't work with benzene.

1910.1028 Benzene
    1926.1103 Carcinogens
    1926.1104 - 1128 deals with benzene and a lot of other benzene derivatives

Hope this helps.

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank-you Becky!

Looks like the storm is kicking up again. In December the US Dept of Labor sent me documents indicating their investigation had found problems at MIOSHA.

In other events the Supervisor that stood in the chemical cloud demanding that workers remain at their work stations now has cancer. It looks to be terminal. This has been an ugly battle and I consider it one of my wounds that I can't feel sorry for this guy.

In Janurary I returned to a new Supervisor. This did not sit well with me so I filed a discrimination complaint for being passed over for that position. The company still does not know that complaint was filed! Meanwhile the company has gone nuts. People working for me have been pulled into the HR office and questioned about my job performance. They were told I don't know what I'm doing and not to listen to me. One gal commented that "they are out to get you". Last week I was suspended for substandard work performance. When I filed the discrimination complaint I did not have the best of ground to stand on. Going after the workers and then suspending me has given me considerable ground!

I meet with OSHA discrimination Monday morning. My first in-person meeting with anyone from OSHA about these events. This guy is acting like a real person... unlike the clownish mocking I sometimes received from others in the Michigan office. I have a letter advising me to file for WPA protection... probably drop it in the mail after our meeting.

Thank-you everyone for letting me use the forum to help control my stress levels. I'm looking at a job interview with another automotive employer... lots more money but it is far enough away I'd have to move or at least rent an apartment. I just locked into a 4.5% fixed mortgage and don't really want to pull up and move.

lyra

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Oh, gosh, Lyra, I don't know what to say other than good luck with it all. You've been through so much with that job, I hope this interview works out for you, or that you find something good closer to home. That workplace you're in now doesn't sound healthy at all, in so many ways.

Sally

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I've been watching this thread from day 1. I cannot, just don't have, the words. It's so awful. Right down to the supervisor with cancer. I hope no one else has this same problem. It's so awful. I hope you land in a better place, SOON!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Just checking in. I'm glad to see this didn't get swept under the carpet. I'm glad you stood your ground. I'm glad you have an OSHA officer that is at least listening to you now. I really hate that Big Business / Big Government thinks that they can get away with anything (and usually do.) I'm sorry they're jerking you around. Hopefully the better job will pan out. Moving will be a pain but overall it might be better. Hope the discrimination complaints (work and OSHA) work out for you.

Becky

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well another chapter has opened. Those that are on my FB page already know I was fired on the 13th of December. After 12 years and all this they had the nerve to fire me. Said that I was talking mean about people... LOL! We hurt a guy real bad last fall... cost $100,000 so far in medical bills. Corporate guy came in and asked what what going on because our local managers "forgot" about this guy getting hurt. I asked if he knew our safety program was so sorry I had to call the cops. Yeah, he said no and then fired me. All I can say is what an idiot.

So I have been off work. I quit limping. My knees don't hurt nor does my shoulder anymore. I had what sounded like a smoker's cough for a month that is gone now. Just might have saved my life getting out of there. Opened and finished off a bottle of 15y/o Glenlivet over the last few weeks... an unopened bottle of 18 year stuff begging me to have a taste. I've been cooking, hunting, reading, playing card, and playing chess... I've not played chess in years. Oh, and I've been seeing a great lawyer with a good reputation concerning employment law.

OSHA called me.. three times today. They want me back to work next monday. I don't think so. We settled on the courthouse steps a few months back and the company promised to treat me like a valued employee. To be fair the manager that made that promise was pushed aside in the rush to fire me. This time we see a Judge about things.

I know I've only been back the CF a couple times this last year but wanted to update this thread. This is part of my records of what happened and when. I have money enough to last a few months. Finding jobs to apply for... some fairly decent and my type of work. Some other things in the works. If I should lose my home my sister would like to buy it... lol it comes with 8 cats! My only worry has been my cats so a great relief knowing they are all set.

lyra

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

You sound so much happier and healthier. :)

Hugs, Eileen

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Good for you, Michael, I hope that lawyer gives 'em he!!. I'd say at the very least you have a Whistleblower's suit to go with.

As you know, I don't do Facebook, but Elery said he'd seen your page and thought you lost your job then saw a post about going back to work. I was getting ready to email you.

Stay healthy, and let those kitties take care of you.

Annie

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

Screw the job and all the stress and pain. I believe we are only here once. Go find some bliss.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Jeez, what a bunch of pri......................nces you worked for! I'm sorry you're out of work but glad your health has improved and your stress levels are down. Make them pay for the favour of firing you ;-)

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

I sure hope you can find a better job Bunnyman!! I think you deserve to be healthy and happy, so take this as a sign that God is closing one door to open another. The one where you don't risk your life to make a living.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Michael, I sure hope that this all works out in your favor. Keep us up to date on your progress, yes progress because I know some employer will identify and appreciate your value.

Besides, the kitties need you.

• KatieC
    11 years ago

What Gina said. I bet in the long run you will be better off. Sorry it's taking so long though!

• sally2_gw
    11 years ago

Whew, what a relief you don't have to work there any more. I hope you find a job that you like. There's gotta be something better. It sounds like working for McD's would even be better.

Good thing about cats is that they are great stress delivers.

Sally

• mtnester
    11 years ago

Every time I read this thread, I think of movies like Norma Rae and Silkwood. You are such a brave man! It takes guts to be a whistleblower. I hope it helps to know that so many of us here on the CF admire your courage and are proud to know you. Stay safe!

Sue

• bunnyman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well as Annie noted I'm back to work! Sort of... on vacation already. The miosha guy at first said I didn't have a whistleblowers case. I just shrugged my shoulders and asked him to investigate anyway. He seems rather amazed and surprised when it finally came up that I had a lawyer... "oh no no no you don't need a lawyer"... "why do you want a lawyer". Suddenly I'm going to get my job back with back pay for every single day I was off including weekends. Miosha guy insisted I sign an Agreement releasing my employer from any damages... my lawyer simply told me I don't have to sign anything... so I didn't. Got my job, the back pay, and I'm back to work.

Wow did they screw things up while I was gone. Three customer rejections in one month... pretty much every time they shipped product it was defective.

BEST part! Some of the employees had a problem with a new chemical. They came to me and asked me to do something about it. I am still the Safety person! I told them not to breath it if it made them ill... sore throats and eye irritation. Management told them not to worry and not to believe everything I told them. The employees told management to stuff it and they trusted me more then them. That made me feel like a winner! A new guy from miosha showed up... spent three days going over everything in the place. The offending chemical has been replaced with a less toxic (and no more expensive) chemical and will no longer be heated.

Old Jeb was shot off his horse by a straggler after the battle had been won. Keeping my head down and my eyes open.

lyra

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Well done that man! Isn't it great that your peers trust you and back you up? Vindication indeed! Keep up the good work.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Terrific! Sounds like you worked it for everyone's benefit. I'm happy to hear that this is working out for you personally, I worry about you.

Cathy

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Woooooohhhhhhhoo! You are so freaking awesome! I totally mean it. I think it so fantastic you stuck to your principles and guns. I don't know if I could've done what you did. I love that you got "rewarded" (I can't think of a good way to put it when you have been vindicated so pleasantly and in such a concrete way). Beyond glad for you. Terrific.