SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Paying It Forward

John Liu
12 years ago

We just had an interesting experience that really amazed me. Nothing to do with cooking.

My daughter is interested in photography. She's been using my film cameras, going to the local darkroom, learning and developing her eye. She wanted a digital SLR. We decided on a used Nikon D200, which is an older model that was fairly high in Nikon's range when it was introduced. It accepts Nikon's manual focus lenses, of which we have many, has full manual control as well as all the auto-everything bells and whistles, magnesium body, weather sealing, etc. It was the backup camera for a lot of pros. So, dearest daughter saved her money from garage sales, selling her old books, busing tables at a friend's restaurant, etc and eventually she had $500. The camera body, used, is about $600 without lens at used camera dealers, about $600 with a basic lens on Craigslist (but, after corresponding with some Craigslist sellers, I suspect some of the latter are stolen) So I said I'd pay for half of it, and started looking for a good used D200.

I went on an Internet forum that I've been on for a long time (10 years), stated the above, and asked for advice on how to check out a used digital SLR. I got a lot of good advice. I also got an email from someone on the forum - saying he had a D200 that he no longer used, having moved up to the latest D3, and he'd been meaning to pass it on to a young photographer. My daughter could have it for the cost of shipping. $27 and three days later, my daughter received a box with a virtually-new D200, a lens, all manuals and accessories and extra batteries, original packaging, not a scratch on anything.

She is thrilled and is working on her thank-you letter right now.

We're going to talk about putting the camera money toward her car in a year or so (digression: I have in mind a Mk 1 VW Rabbit cabriolet, I'd make it a project car and fix it all up, while she spends the first year in a pre-dented beater tank of a Volvo or something. We'd do daddy-daughter days at the autocross races, she can learn to strap on a helmet and power slide, threshold brake, oversteer, recover from spins, etc. Eventually she'd be allowed to graduate from the beater.)

I've never had anything like that happen before. I guess this is "paying it forward". I'm awed.

Just wanted to share something that really surprised me.

Comments (11)