...edited to remove message

This post was edited by doucanoe on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 19:28

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excruciating decision.....

bump to move it down.

o

Linda, I saw the original message before you pulled it, and I can understand why you did so. It's a really tough problem, and I sympathize.

Sue

o

Inquiring minds want to know, but good friends respect your decision to pull it.

o

Linda, you and I have "talked", so you know I'm crying along with you. The situation is horrible and difficult.

I agree, I respect your decision to pull it, but just know that I'm sending hugs.

Annie

o

Oh, Linda I am sorry you are going through a difficult time, although I did not see your original post. I'm sorry for my facetious remark above. Also sending hugs your way.

o

I am sorry, after I posted this thread I realized it was just too painful to have to deal with at the time.

In a nutshell, we had to put our 3-1/2 year old German Shepherd Bullitt down on Wednesday. It's a long story and if anyone needs details it's all laid out on the Pets forum.

He was a rescue and had issues. We worked very hard and tried everything we knew of for 2-1/2 years and we just couldn't conquer is "demons".

He was a super sweet boy but he bit someone and we simply couldn't risk him biting again.

I have been choked up for the last couple of weeks, and it will be a very long healing process, I'm afraid.

It's over and he is at peace.

Thanks Annie, Ann and FOAS for your concern and kind e-mails. it meant a lot to us.

(RIP Bully Bear....we love you very much and we are so very sorry.)

Linda

o

Linda - I'm so sorry to hear of your torment. It sounds like you did everything possible, and given that the rescue wouldn't take him back, you were really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've worked in rescue, and while some will disagree with me, you can't save them all. A bite history will follow you and the dog around forever, as you've discovered. And, this wasn't a situation with a child acting inappropriately with a dog and the dog gets blamed. You can't live that way. And honestly, that's no way for the dog to live either. You did the right thing.

o

Oh Linda, I saw that thread over on the Pets Forum but didn't realise it was you. I'm sure you tried everything humanly possible and the only thing left was to release Bullitt from his torment and send him on to a happier place where his demons can no longer trouble him.
One day you will meet again on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge and Bullitt will be so glad to see you, and thank you.

o

Yes, it's going to be a very difficult healing process because that was such an agonizing ordeal to go through. As we know, sometimes life just hands us a very rotten card and we have to play it through. Being human is a joy and a sorrow. Hope it helps to know I am so very sorry and wish I could give you a big hug and hold your hand and feed you chocolate and more, until you felt a little better. Healing thoughts to you, with love.

o

It's so hard I know; Bullitt will leave a hole in your heart and your household.

Someone mentioned the other day "gee, it's not like it was a family member". I didn't even respond knowing that this individual is oblivious to the strength of the animal-human bond.

o

All the best of luck to you in this difficult time.

o

Linda, I'm so very sorry. Your love for Bullitt and your pain are very clear. I ended up sending and email because I got a little long winded. I apologize. It's beyond hard to deal with. Please be good to yourselves.

o

Yes, Cathy, it is like losing a family member.

We're working through it and we will heal. Bully is free from his demons now. I take comfort in the fact that we were able to give him 2-1/2 years of love, freedom to run and a good, although short, life.

Thank you all for the kind words and support. It is very much appreciated.

Linda

o

Didn't we help give Bullitt his name? What a shame. You did the brave thing though. At least he was put down in the best possible way. I am so, so sorry.

o

Linda, I've been away from the forum for some time, but logged in tonight and just saw this post. I am so very very sorry for your loss. It's so hard - you wish to heaven that you could just talk to them and that they could understand your reasoning and that you only want the best for them. I worked in dog rescue for 10 years - and saw several people who could never "let go" of a dog they should have, based on its bite history -and each time those dogs went on to bite again with worse consequences. It takes someone particularly strong and loving in these cases to make the right choice - for the dog and for potential future victims. We love our dogs madly, but in the end people matter more. Thank you for being strong enough to make the right decision. Here is hoping that Bully is running and making new friends over the Bridge, and that his spirit is at peace. Wishing you continued strength and peace.

o

I had a dog that had bitten twice. Due to living in the country, I managed to hang onto him till it was time (in his natural lifespan) to put him down. Both the bites were understandable to me, people trying to run away from a herding type dog....but I had to pay twice for his mistakes, and it could have been worse.
It caused me a lot of worry over the years keeping him, and I think I might not if I had to do it over again. Given everything (and I know nothing of your particular circumstances), you probably made the right decision.

o

Linda, I hope you know that my thoughts are with you. What an agonizing choice-- but you did what you had to do. You freed him from his demons and you saved your babies (and other people) from pain and suffering.
Hugs,
E

o

(((((Linda)))))

Often, the best and only choice--after trying everything we can and doing everything we can-- are the ones that rip us apart. We know we make these choices out of love and what's best for our beloved pets, after exhausting every option. It's true that sometimes, dogs are just "wired" differently, and nothing we do or try works.

Your boy couldn't help the way he was born. You did everything you could to help him. He had a loving home with you, and you made his days as happy as possible.

You gave Bullitt the gift of love, affection, attention, and a home, and finally, when it was necessary, you gave him the gift of peace.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Sooz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here