SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Man offering seat to woman: OK in 2010 or passé?

lowspark
13 years ago

What's your opinion? Is "gentlemanly behavior" such as a man offering his seat to a woman in or out?

I live in Texas and the norm here is for men to continue to be gentlemen, even in 2010. Most men hold doors open, allow women to enter or exit the elevator first, etc. And by most I'd say it's in the neighborhood of around 95%, at least in my office building.

Now, as a woman, I also hold the door for people behind me, male or female. I've had people just let go of the door when they are just enough in front of me that it's going to shut right in my face and it's annoying. So it's common courtesy IMO to hold the door.

Of course giving up your seat or allowing women to go first is very much gentleman honoring a lady type of behavior.

Being used to it, I like it and would be unhappy if it were to suddenly discontinue! Not much chance of it around here but I know that in other parts of the country it is certainly NOT the norm.

What about where you live? Is this kind of thing common or not? And how do you feel about it?

Comments (25)