SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

Lunch at the Highest Village in Spain Yesterday

canarybird01
14 years ago

I had a wonderful day yesterday. Some friends invited me for a drive up the mountain, the Teide volcano, to view all the wildflowers which are now in bloom during May and beginning of June. It was a beautiful sunny day and we stopped all along the way to photograph and wander through fields of pink bushes of rock rose, giant buttercups, forget me nots, yellow and white broom.

When we came to the lava fields, we encountered the film crews of Warner Bros.....working on the remake of 'Clash of the Titans' with Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes. They had dozens of white trucks, trailers and equipment taking up one lane of the road at the summit and had engulfed the National Parador hotel up there with living quarter trailers and white tents. There was a permanent crew of roadmen directing traffic into one lane at a time.

My friends had reserved a table at a little picturesque restaurant in the village of Vilaflor, which is a sleepy little place of under 2,000 inhabitants, which happens to be the highest municipality of the whole of Spain, at an altitude of 1,400 meters. The air was stunningly clear and the sky an intense blue. The restaurant consisted of a small outdoor patio under a simple grape arbour clothed in light green leaves. Beside us on one side was a mini garden filled with hollyhocks (Which I'd never seen here before), roses, nasturtiums, nisperos, geraniums, roses and herbs. It was like being in heaven!

We order a salad, some wine, water and my friends ordered stewed goat and rabbit. I decided on chicken stew. On the other side we overlooked a field and some houses where I understood the goats were kept.

Afterwards we had a drive around the little town to see the wild California poppies which at some point years ago had escaped from a private garden and become naturalized here.

Also, the Teide red tajinaste was growing here in the town alongside roses and geraniums. It is not seen anywhere else on the islands. We drove back up over the summit and down the mountain back to the real world. It was a wonderful day. My husband had decided to forego the trip and stayed home where it was cool and quiet as he's not partial to long hours in the car, but he was happy to see me back home safely.

Here's a little slideshow which includes a couple of pics of the film crew and their equipment at the lava fields.

To make it faster, click on the speed adjustment in the top left hand corner. Use ESC to quit. Enjoy!

SharonCb

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath