SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

family and facebook, woah!

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

I haven't been around much lately because I've had some "stuff" going on.... I've missed you all so much, but I guess I should give an update. Some of you know that I haven't spoken to my family since I was 19 (I'm 26 now, so it's been a while!), we had some differences with whole gay versus closed minded redneck thing. I was taken from my mom when I was about 5 because she was an alcoholic who couldn't take care of herself let alone a child. Nobody knew who my father was, and they still don't. I was "adopted" by an aunt and uncle. They had a son already that was 2 years younger than me, and a few years later had a girl, (she's 18 now), so I was raised with cousins for brothers and sisters. The aunt was a mean, depressed, dark, selfish person who I absolutely hated. The uncle was a kind hearted "good ol' boy", but set in his ways. He was my mom's sister. Anyway, when we had the fight and I moved out, I was driving a car that was in his name... I didn't have money to keep making the payments so I left it in a parking lot somewhere and told him in an e-mail where to get it.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. I got a message on Facebook from him telling me that my mother was dying of lung cancer and requesting to see me before she died. He said I should probably call my grandma. I thought long and hard, and it was tough after 7 years of silence, but I decided to call her. She was really glad to hear from me (we'd always been close), she said she understood about everything that had happened and she just wanted to have me back. We talked for an hour that night and she updated me on my mom, who hadn't changed a bit by the way. She'd been living in a tent in a forest, drinking and smoking all her money for the last five years. I hadn't really seen her since I was 10, and that was brief. A few days later I decided to go see my grandma, so I got in my Accord and drove back to hicksville, FL for the first time in all those years. The place hadn't changed much (they got a dollar store now!), still don't even get a cell phone signal there! It's a picturesque town filled with orange groves, so it was a nice drive. My grandma was very happy to see me and we hugged and talked and I unclogged her terrible vacuum cleaner... and then we went to a place called Ocala to see my mom in the hospital (granny doesn't drive much/far anymore). It brought back some painful memories, I drove by 3 churches I'd been kicked out of as a teenager for refusing to stop being gay.... but we made it to the hospital and I saw my mom. We had to put on gloves and a plastic jumpsuit and a face mask for some reason before we could enter the room. She looked awful, all those years of living like that had taken a toll on her, but she was glad to see me. I didn't feel any emotion at all, completely numb/neutral to the whole experience. My mom said she loved me and that I made her day by coming to see her. I lied and said I loved her too because she was dying... the truth is she disgusted me... she was never mean to me, but she was selfish and weak and lazy and I resented her for not being a responsible human being. On the way back in the car, my grandma told me I should make up with my uncle, he was still resentful about the car situation, and he was struggling financially right now... the car situation combined with his hateful wife having heart surgery put them in a financial tailspin that ended in bankruptcy and not much money left. She said it was up to me, but she knew we'd both be happier if we made up. She didn't say any more about it and we went to a seafood restaurant in the area that I'd always loved.... I had to force her to let me pay for her food... she doesn't have any money either and didn't want to take charity! I spent a few more hours with her back at her house and she tried giving me all kinds of kitchen stuff that I don't have room for and had to decline (a hen shaped electric egg boiler and an indoor grill, no thanks!), but I did let her give me a set of brand new baking pans (muffin tin, 9 by 13, two 8 in round and a cookie sheet)... I had all those things already, but the finish was peeling off all of them, so I gladly took those and said I'd be in touch.

I called every few days and talked with her to get updates on her and my mom. Earlier this week, my mom was moved to a hospice house in a place called The Villages... I'd planned to go see her yesterday since that was my next day off. Well, that never happened, because I got a call Friday that she passed at 6 PM. Nobody was really upset because they weren't close to her because of the kind of person she was (she had 5 brothers/sisters, all still living in the area), but grandma was devastated because it was her daughter. So, instead of going to hopsice I went to my grandmas house to be with her and comfort her yesterday. When I arrived, there were other cars in the yard and I knew the house would be full of people. It was... there were aunts, uncles, and cousins that I hadn't seen in years. I hugged my grandma and then all the aunts, and noticed how HOT the house was... her A/C had broken... and this is FL, the summer, and a house full of people. It was miserable. The A/C repairman had been there, and said it was fixed, but it died again 30 minutes after he left so we had to summon him back to do it right. Then, the uncle I had the conflict with came in... he shook my hand and told me he was sorry about my mom (his sister) and that I didn't get to see her one more time before she died. I told him to follow me out to the car because I had something for him... I gave him 500 dollars (he had to pay 3000 when the car got repoed), and the look in his face when I have him the money was priceless. It was a combination of shock and gratitude and of a burden being relieved.... he said it couldn't have come at a better time because he only had 10 dollars until his next paycheck and he couldn't even afford a new tire for his truck. We talked a while and there were apologies all around for the way things happened in the past, and then he told me how my mom died since he was holding her hand when it happened... he told me how glad she was that I came to see her in the hospital. I told him I was kind of glad that I got to see her there instead of at hospice... she was unconscious by then and probably wouldn't have even known I was there anyway. We think that the hospital brought her death about even sooner than it had to be because they gave her a chemo treatment even though the cancer had spread too far already and they knew it was terminal..... that treatment ruined the rest of what was left of her life... and it wasn't a few days after that she started sleeping all the time (that's what I mean by unconscious).

Anyway, yesterday turned out really well and everything happened the way it should have... everyone was glad to see me but they barely recognized me since I got fat... I was 150 pounds when they last saw me, compared to 220 now, that's quite a difference. None of them seem to mind the gay thing anymore... in fact the cousin I was raised with who called me a nasty name when they found out I was gay told me that he voted to support gay marriage during the last election! I think they are just glad that I'm happy and doing OK and supporting myself and all that good stuff. So, because my mom died, I got back in touch with the family and got some unresolved conflict out of the way, so I guess something good did happen from this tragedy. Which really isn't a tragedy, the tragedy was the way she lived her life, not that her life ended. It will probably end up being a good thing because she was kind of a burden to the family, as everyone was always worried about her and she was always fighting with people. In two weeks (that's as soon as everyone can get off work at the same time) they are having a little informal get together where everyone brings food and says nice things about the person who died (if they can think of any, it will be hard.... I guess the best thing to say is that at least she spent her life doing what she loved best, drinking and smoking, ironic that's what killed her)...

Oh yeah, and the day my mom died, my boyfriend moved to North Carolina because he couldn't find work here and got an irresistible deal from a company up there.... I guess it's good because now that I'm back in touch with the family I'll have more time to go see them, and grandma is going to need some support. He wants to stay together, but I don't do the long distance thing and I've missed being single actually... we've been together a year now. I haven't told him yet, I don't want to ruin the beginning of this new life for him by busting up with him... maybe I should just forward him this thread LOL just kidding!

Anyway, I've already volunteered to make desserts for the gathering so I'm going to do a cheesecake and a cookie and brownie platter. I may make potato salad as well, if I still have energy after all the sweets. I don't think I should need any recipes though, I plan on using tried and true things that I've made for years (lemon bars, peanut butter cookies, King Arthurs brownies, snicker doodles... things like that).

I wonder what we're going to do with the ashes. Maybe we should put them in a beer can, I know that is what SHE would have wanted! I guess granny will just keep them in a box somewhere or sprinkle them in her pond, who knows!

Sorry it was so long, I just had to get it off my chest! Still not sure how I feel about the whole thing, I never thought I'd talk to or see any of my family again for the rest of my life! Thanks for reading

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor