SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Vacation suggestion?

goldgirl
12 years ago

We had a 10-day trip to Scotland planned for August, but my summer plans changed dramatically, and we've decided to do something closer to home and less involved, travel wise. I managed to find a full-time summer law job (I'm heading into my last year of school - yay!) and am also taking classes at night, so we decided to push off Europe until after graduation.

DH is a beach person, and I'm not. Actually, I love being around water, and enjoy tropical locations, but get bored after a few hours without more to do. Our backup location is always Cape Cod, which is a great fit for both of us, but we feel like doing something different this time.

Was wondering about Key West, as we did the one-day cruise stop there years ago. Seems like a fun place, but not sure it's a spot to spend a week? We're also thinking about New Orleans, which we spent time in back in the 90s and loved. Not tropical, but relaxing and fun. We both love Disney World, but we need something lower key this time around.

Any other suggestions? We'd like to keep travel time from Jersey to a minimum, and August is the only time we can go.

Thanks!

Sue

Comments (26)

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

We spent a week on the Keys the winter before last. Key Wets is a fun and very eclectic town. I loved it there but it is very, very expensive,

We chose to stay have way down the keys and did day trips from their. Great food, great beaches, fun drives, and as I say Key West is very eclectic and tons of fun.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Key West is an amazing place, no doubt. My brother knows a first rate place that is really inexpensive, but I hear he's really lucky. Most of it is incredibly expensive. But then, you asked for suggestions. What about Maine? I've always wanted to go there and you said Cape Cod, so why not a little farther?

I was wondering how school was going. Fantastic you're in your last year and have a law job. Great going!

• Related Discussions

Valuable information about your rights as a cruise passenger.

Q

Comments (11)
    I thought that I had posted on this but guess not. This is why you purchase travel insurance to cover this sort of thing. It's a small portion of the cost of the trip and well worth it if something happens. We started when we traveled with friends, one of whom had a long-term illness, and we never knew whether we would make the trip or not. There are any number of things that could happen that would interrupt you trip. On a trip to Greece, a woman on our tour stepped in a hole and broke her leg. She had to be transported back to Boston on a stretcher which took out several rows of seats on the plane. Her travel insurance covered that.
    ...See More

Suggestions for Winter Vacation Resort

Q

Comments (1)
    Not out west, but all the winter activities you listed, plus dog sledding, ice fishing, and a fantastic restaurant. I've been going here for the last 10 years in the summer, and it is wonderful. It's way in the NE corner of Minnesota, just across the lake from Canada, and on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Here is a link that might be useful: Gunflint Lodge
    ...See More

Help Deciding on a Dining Room Color

Q

Comments (2)
    My friend has Palladian Blue in one of her sons' bedrooms. It is pretty, but I think it would be too light with the rest of the house. The den (formal living room that will be used as a study) is painted Fraser Fir and is directly across the hall. Thanks, Melissa
    ...See More

Suggestions for lamps to use in FL vacation house?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Lovestoread! How fun to decorate a second home-- and it sounds like you get some good relaxation time too. I have to say, I can't really see two arc lamps in proximity to each other. I guess it could work if they were on the small scale.. did you find any rooms with two on houzz? good luck..
    ...See More
  • goldgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on Key West - wasn't aware of the cost. Are there plenty of things to do besides go to beaches?

School has been a great experience for me as a "mature" student - I've learned so much and done things I never thought I could do. If you told me tomorrow that I could never practice, I'd still be glad I did it. But I'll qualify that by saying I go to a (relatively) affordable state school vs. private, and by going later in life, I don't face paying off huge student loans in an awful job market for attorneys. My job is just for the summer (and part-time in the fall if all goes well), but I'm very, very lucky to have a paid position, even a short-term one.

That said, I'm in a four-year evening program, and ready to be done. I remember saying many years ago that I'd NEVER go back to school, so I'm not quite sure how this happened ;)

Sue

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I with ya babe! After I got my undergrad, at graduation, my son kept asking, "Are you going back to school?" and I kept saying no, but I'd law school if I won the lottery and could quit my job. I won't go to the night law school here as it's not accredited and my friend, who also went the same route, after that school, couldn't pass the bar. And he's three times smarter than I am. I know it'd be a complete waste of my time. I'm glad your school sounds much better.

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

goldgirl, good for you! You deserve a holiday.

There are beautiful beaches all along the Keys but they aren't busy beaches if you know what I mean. The beaches in Key West are more commercial than along the Keys. My husband did a lot of Scuba diving and loved it.

Key West is not about the beaches, although they are lovely. All I can say is that it's very eclectic! Some of everything.The main drag is almost cut in half. One end is wonderful restaurants, art shops, artisans and a very openly gay, artistic, fun community.

The other end of main street is chock full of bars, pubs and a haven for aging hippies. Especially those with motorcycles. We had a blast at Hogs, so much fun. People wander from bar to bar, restaurant to restaurant with their drinks. No problems!

Every night at sunset the bars all empty and people take their drinks out to the warf and hail the sunset.

There is also some wonderful history to be seen. Truman's Little White house which is where Kennedy oversaw the Bay of Pigs. Also Hemingway's home, some gorgeous Victorian architecture.

There is a boat cruise that goes out to Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson.

Go the their web site their is a ton to do.

We stayed in Marathon which is about half way down the Keys.

Oh and as far a food goes! Fabulous sea food and plenty of great restaurants everywhere!

• daisyinga
    12 years ago

I've heard the snorkeling at Looe Key is wonderful.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

A) where do you live now and how far are you willing to drive or will you be flying?

B) so you will have 10 to 14 days?

Vermont is peaceful and a lovely in the summer; fun to tour around and see a state up close if you haven't been there.

The NC mountains are wonderful! Asheville is is a great base to see the mountain crafts, Biltmore Estate, Blue Ridge Parkway, Boone/Blowing Rock, great farmers' market and lots more. And the weather will be cooler there in August compared to the NC Beaches and Key West. Heck, you can come to NC and spend 4-5 days in the mountains and then drive to the coast for a beach stay. The Wright Bros. Memorial, Outer Banks, fishing, great seafood, boating, sun/sand/sea, more great seafood, beach combing, historic towns, and the NC aquarium are all possibilities.

Teresa

• stuartwanda
    12 years ago

I hope you realize that you are getting into the height of Hurrican season here in Fla.. Not saying we will get any but keep that in mind. Also bring lots of sun block. It is hotter than h-- here. I would find a place in the upper Keys.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

August is a great time to visit Michigan. Comfortable temps, low humidity and lots to do. There's festivals and art fairs, the Charlevoix Fine Art Fair is one of the best in the country.

If you were to make Charlevoix your landing place, it's a day trip to Traverse City or to Mackinaw Island. It just depends on how you like to travel. I can also give you a list of places to go to if you like to move from motel to motel. There are great camp grounds too.

There is plenty to do here in August!
    Personally, I love Key West...but in the winter. Charlevoix and Petoskey is where Hemingway spent his summers.

Here's a link.....

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Northwest Michigan

• dedtired
    12 years ago

How about the Adirondacks? The lakes and mountains are just amazing. You can go on canoe trips or hikes, or just bob around on the lake in a boat. Try fly-fishing. There are wonderful restaurants that serve trout.

Maine would be nice too.

Key West is too hot in August and the no-see-ums are a nuisance. In the Adirondacks you only have to worry about bears.

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

I was working around your OP but if you're open to anything then try Canada!

Quebec City is like a trip to Europe but just a drive away. You will think you have left North America and arrived in Europe. Majestic old city, unbelievable history, restaurants that are to die for . French is the spoken language there but believe me you can more than get by in English and the french just it makes it seem that more of European vacation.

A fabulous trip for you would be to drive up along the Hudson River, to the Adirondacks and along Lake Champlain into Quebec, some time in wonderfully modern Montreal and then along the St Lawrence to beautiful Quebec City.

The English/ French/ American / Canadian history is fascinating.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

congratulations, Sue, you do deserve a vacation!

Nancy has already pitched Northern Michigan, so along with the Pure Michigan ads, there's not much to add. Oh, Mario Batali has a summer place in Traverse City, so maybe he'd invite you to dinner. (grin)

I don't really have a suggestion, but I know what you mean about different vacation styles. Elery is also a beach person and is perfectly happy spending two weeks doing pretty much nothing. Four days of that and I'm just going crazy, I'm bored out of my mind. We have not agreed on a happy medium yet, and haven't taken a vacation in two years. Elery wants to go "someplace warm" in the winter, I told him to go without me.

I just really hate to travel. I especially hate to fly. That trip to South Padre Island really did it for me, I was unhappy and hopelessly bored and hope to never have another "vacation" inflicted on me, it's taken two years of hard work to recover from that last one!

So, if you can find a place that accomodates both of your "Vacation styles", let me know. I gotta tell you, though, after law school, a nice restful beach might sound pretty good....

Annie

• obxgina
    12 years ago

Sue, DH and I have gone to Key West since 1997. We try to go at least twice a year! We leave this Wednesday for 8 days! Needless to say we love it there and feel very much at home there as well! Are your dates flexible! We did KW in August one time and it was extremely hot, (who knew... lol!) It's cheaper at that time of year, since it is considered their "off season"! With that being said, some places are also closed. But it was still a great vacation! Their is plenty to do and see. I'd be happy to give you more info if you are interested! We know KW very well and know many places that people often don't think about!

We also vacationed and lived on the Outer Banks of NC. for 8 years. August is the heioght of their season and it is very crowded, but I'd be happy to send you info about OBX as well!

Where ever you decide to vacation,I hope you have a wonderful time!

Gina

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

What about Charleston, SC?? Good food and there's a beach, but the town is not dominated by the beach. Beautiful old homes to tour and a lovely setting.

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, you've come up with the great suggestions that I never would have thought of! As I mentioned in my post, August is my only time off, and we're in Jersey.

We're willing to drive or fly, but it's more about ease of travel (e.g. direct flight) than distance.

Key West sounds wonderful, but given the heat/bugs/hurricane season in August, think we'll save that for another time.

Michigan is tempting. I grew up in Ohio and went to U of M in Ann Arbor, but never traveled further north than Holland. The Adirondacks sound wonderful as well. And Canada - I haven't been to Montreal/Quebec since childhood. Charleston is also somewhere I've been wanting to visit and N.C. sounds like a great option as well, especially the idea of splitting our time between mountains and beach.

Whatever the case, I need to get DH in the water, be it ocean or pool. I think he was a fish in a former life ;)
    I've printed this thread so we can consider all the wonderful ideas!

Sue

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

I go to the Adirondacks in summer, it's fab. Lots to do, but sprinkled around, so some driving involved. Good beaches, albeit lake beaches. The shopping is just OK, but there are great craft fairs and other townie events, plus lots of music, good restuarants, etc. But you have to look for it, it's sprinkled around between the wilderness areas. I'm with your husband, all I need are some nice walking trails and a good beach and place to swim, a place to shop for groceries, a nice kitchen and a good book and I'm in vactaion heavan.

• gellchom
    12 years ago

I hope you're still checking this string --

Chase said about Quebec what I'm going to say about another part of Canada not too far from you: Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. My husband and I went there on a summer vacation several years ago and were quite pleasantly surprised at how much like it felt we were in Scotland -- they don't call it Nova Scotia for nothing. It sure didn't feel like the US. Halifax is a terrific city, too. We flew up and rented a car and drove all around Cape Breton Island.

Plus, it will satisfy your husband's desire to be near the sea without it being beach-y. We did go on a whale watch, though, and that was a blast. It'll be cooler than Florida in August, too, and no hurricanes.

I've just suggested it to Thing One for his honeymoon -- they are thinking about scaling down their plans (Italy), too.

Congratulations on being in the home stretch of law school, and welcome to the club! I don't know how "mature" you are, but I bet you found it to be an advantage. I was only 5 years older than most of the other students when I went, but even that was helpful. That's nothing compared to my mother, though -- she was 70 when she started! She went to a 4-year program, too, but when she realized she only had to take a couple of summer school classes to do it, she finished it in 3 years. My partner called her "a block off the old chip" -- but the truth is that not only are my brother and I both lawyers, so are her brother and most of the cousins in both generations. It seems that sooner or later we all end up in law school -- and she proved it, didn't she?

Have a great time on your trip!

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

I'll second Gellchom On Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton. Fabulous history and ocean view. Prince Edward Island is very close to Nova Scotia and is a beautiful drive along the ocean to the bridge. PEI has spectacular beaches....miles and miles. Gorgeous beach house to rent in every price range. Again lots of history, from seat of the Founding of Canada to Ann of Green Gables.

Oh and the lobster everywhere is amazing!

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Still checking Gellchom & Chase, and I believe that Nova Scotia is going to be our destination!

We never would have thought of going there, and from the info online, it looks like a PERFECT mix that will make up both happy and make us feel like we're taking a real vacation. Plus, it's only a 2-hour flight from Jersey.

If you have any specific recommendations, let me know :) I'm so excited! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

And thanks for the congrats gellchom. At 49, I'm probably the second or third oldest at my school. Age has mostly been an advantage, because having life experience had helped keep things in perspective. But I guess the real test will be when I'm looking for a job after graduation.

Sue

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I am so envious! PEI is one place I really want to visit sometime - mainly from the scenery in the Anne movies. I hope you have a wonderful time and please, report back here so we can all know about your trip!

Teresa

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

Great choice you'll love it! If your flying in you'll want to rent a car to travel about the province.

Off the top of my head musts do's are:

The Cabot Trail, amazing!

Whale watching.....not sure if the time of year is right but I think that may be when they start their migration so should be good.

Halifax harbour and downtown Halifax. Take one of those corny tours. It 's really worth it . The one I like is the one that is amphibious so it tours downtown Halifax by land and also from the harbour.

Peggy's Cove not too far down the coast from Halifax...spectacular

Lunenburg, further down the coast from Peggy's Cove.....the history and architecture is so Nova Scotia!

Lobster, lobster and more lobster....

I'll think of more but I have to run for an appointment right now.

Here's the Cabot Trail link...

OH don;t forget you need a passport now to come to Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cabot Trail

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Where do you fly in to? Sounds fabulous - maybe I'll go, too.

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Halifax, I believe. Haven't booked the flight yet, though.

You all had me at lobster!

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

Guaranteed it's Halifax.......not sure there is even another commercial airport in the Province.

Be prepared for the fact that Nova Scotia is very simple, not highly commercialized. The mainstay is fishing and the people are very simple and I say that in the best sense of the word. Friendly, real, down to earth , no pretenses at all.

Halifax has a large Canadian naval base, well large for Canada. The last time we were there a Canadian warship was returning to the base from Afghanistan. I will never forget it, the waving, all the ships in the harbour sounding their horns, the families on the docks ready to greet their loved ones.....a serious Oh Canada moment for me.

Here is a little something about Lunenburg.

You're making me long to go back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lunenburg

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After talking it over, we're leaning toward driving! We love road trips, and would probably stay over in Boston a night or two. Looks like there are no longer car ferries from Maine to Nova Scotia (there used to be one from Bar Habor I think?) but we can drive further north to St. John, New Brunswick, and catch one there. That might be fun.

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

I think you'll much prefer the drive. We drove from from New London to Portland along the coast and loved it! The coast of Maine is to die for. Lots to see and do.

You really will love having a car it's a must.