SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Sleep Apnea

Lars
10 years ago

I spent last night at the UCLA Sleep Disorder Center, and they determined that I have Sleep Apnea. The test started at 9:45 PM and by midnight they woke me to tell me that I had passed the threshhold of stopping breathing more than twenty times in one hour. I was already awake from a bad dream when they came in to tell me this, and I thought that the dream was the problem. In the dream, the accounting department had given me a new task to do but had never told me how to do it, and when the COO asked me for the report, I was two and a half weeks behind, but I told him that no one had shown me how to do the new task, and he was okay with that. However, I was mad at the accounting department for giving me something to do and not telling me how to do it, and complaining to the accountants when I woke from the dream.

Then the test administrator came in and told me that I would have to wear a mask for the rest of the session. The first one he put on me was very uncomfortable, and I felt like I was wearing a defective snorkel and almost had a panic attack. Then he put one on me that covered both my nose and mouth, and I was able to breathe with that one on, but it was still awkward and hideous. Supposedly the treatment for this condition is to wear a hideous mask every night for the rest of my life and even to take it with me when I travel. If I do not, the possible risks include heart attack and stroke, and maybe others that I do not remember right now. I did find a new mask on line that is available in leopard print (a big improvement), but I'm sure it would be just as uncomfortable.

Do you have any experience with this ailment? If so, how do you deal with it? Are there other viable options than wearing the mask? There seems to be a nose attachment that is very small, but it costs $65-$80 a month, and a new one must be worn each night.

Lars

Comments (35)

• compumom
    10 years ago

Poor Lars! That said, this discovery may help to explain a lot of the issues you've been experiencing is these past months. We know many folks who have sleep apnea and once they adjust the head gear, their general well being improves. Perhaps the generalized anxiety you're feeling is a result of the lack of oxygen over the night.
    Most people we know wear the headgear, but there are mouthpieces and even surgery to help allievate the problem. UCLA is great, but don't take only one opinion or method as the final answer. Keep searching for options that will make you more comfortable. In time, I think you'll adjust and feel much more rested and content with a comfortable night's sleep.

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ellen! I sort of do feel better this morning after having had the mask on for 5-1/2 hours last night, although I was quite sleepy at 5:30 AM - an hour before I normally wake up. I've also been feeling better (once I got over the Spring Cold), but I'm not sure whether that is because it is April/May - my two favorite months, when I have the most bromeliads and epiphyllum blooming. Several of my orchids are blooming now also - one that was hidden and I didn't see until just a few days ago.

I think my doctor will have some good suggestions when I see him in July. In the meantime, I am going to try to stick to one of the diet-exercise plans that I have. I think the sleep apnea may have made it difficult for me to do this, due to my feeling sleepy in the mornings and somewhat tired/dizzy in the evenings. However, I have been able to do more gardening lately without getting dizzy, and so this is encouraging. We planted and repotted a bunch of succulents the past two weeks - I'll try to post pictures of some of them. I have a new book on South African succulents, and so now I'm more able to re-identify some of the plants. Kevin and I bought markers to put next to the plants, once we get them identified. We going to Tucson on Thursday for four days.

Lars

This post was edited by publickman on Mon, May 20, 13 at 15:14

• Related Discussions

Sleep apnea

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi blueberrier1 - I've had trouble with my sleep for many years. Part of my problem is that I'm a night person trying to function in daytime corporate America. I have to get up at 6:00 am to go to work but staying up to 11:00 pm or midnight doesn't help. If I go to bed earlier, because my body doesn't need/want to sleep earlier, I end up laying there. I'm very fortunate to have very good health insurance from my employer. I was curious about sleep issues and did a Google search, and came across sleep studies/centers. I made an appointment and was sent a questionnaire that I had to fill out and send back. Met with the doctor and he recommended a sleep study. It was found that I stop breathing 46 times an hour and stop breathing for up to 39 seconds. No wonder I was waking up exhausted. Between not enough hours of sleep and then having disrupted sleep I was constantly fatigued. Long story short I got my CPAP last Friday. I'm trying to get used to wearing all the "gear" when I go to bed. I feel like a scuba diver. The one downfall is that the sound freaks out my cats. They've been sleeping on the couch instead of on my bed ;>)
    ...See More

I need help with cpap machine question.....

Q

Comments (11)
    I have sleep apnea and am using a CPAP machine. Most doctors aren't versed in sleep medicine, however, a pulminologist is. A pulminologist is trained to read sleep study data and determine the proper therapeutic levels. There are a number of variations available. The treatment depends on the specific problems causing obstruction and their location. There are three types of sleep apnea, including obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), central sleep apnea, mixed sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea is a disorder in which complete or partial obstruction of the airway during sleep causes loud snoring, oxyhemoglobin desaturations and frequent arousals. Obstructive sleep apnea is caused by repetitive upper airway obstruction during sleep as a result of narrowing of the respiratory passages. Central sleep apnea is a sleep breathing disorder that occurs when the brain fails to send the appropriate signals to the breathing muscles to initiate respirations. Conditions that can cause central sleep apnea include bulbar poliomyelitis, encephalitis affecting the brainstem, and neurodegenerative illnesses. A sleep test, called polysomnography is done to diagnose sleep apnea. Confirmation of the diagnosis requires making measurements while the person sleeps. There are different types of machines - some that have automatically adjustable air pressure or air pressures that are different when you breathe in than when you breathe out. There are also APAP or AutoPAP or AutoCPAP machines. These machines fine tune the amount of pressure delivered to the patient to the minimum required to maintain an unobstructed airway on a breath-by-breath basis by measuring the resistance in the patient's breathing, thereby giving the patient the precise pressure required at a given moment and avoiding the compromise of fixed pressure. There are also bBi-level pressure devices. You may or may not need humidification whether it be heated or passive. Some people need the ramp feature, others don't. Some people need to use a chin strap, others don't. There are also a variety of masks - all based on a theraputic determination. There are full face masks, nasal pillows, masks that just cover the nose, etc. The point of all of this is that there are way too many variables to monkey around and guess at what "might" work. CPAP therapy involves more than just strapping on a mask and experimenting. Different types of sleep apnea require a different course of treatment and the only definitive way to determine what one needs is to have a sleep study. Randomly guessing or experimenting and getting it wrong can be just as deadly as not using CPAP once it has been properly diagnosed. A diabetic would no sooner experiment with how much insulin they need by "trial & error." CPAP therapy should be viewed the same.
    ...See More

Well Dr .Appointment Wasnt The Last Today..

Q

Comments (32)
    At least a couple of you sound a bit harsh in your replies....Please remember this, it isn't necessarily about the test and please factor in the equation that she is tired...she is sick and tired or being sick and tired...She is sick and tired of having no energy, she is sick and tired of not being able to do the things that she wants to do, she is sick and tired of living half a life and not enjoying her family, friends and loved ones, she is sick and tired of living the life of an invalid, she is sick and tired of running back and forth to the doctors and to the hospitals. She is sick and tired of the expense and she is sick and tired of every day wondering if it's all worth it...Of course it is but sometimes it's hard to keep your eye on the prize. I know exactly how she feels...It's hard to justify another test when you have spent most of the last year in the doctors office...and you have had every inch of your body imaged, poked., prodded, medicated, injected..lubricated...etc etc Keep in mind that it's all very depressing as well...It's hard some days just to put one foot in front of the other...In the end, we all do what we have to to catch the ring....I know that there are others on this board that understand... I am sorry Bulldinkie that you are having to live this nightmare. I hope and pray that it is over and done with soon and that you are back to health quickly. You and your doctor will have to make the decision that is right for you...
    ...See More

Sleep Apnea

Q

Comments (16)
    I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. I wouldn't sleep without it. I used to need to sleep 10-12 hours, and would still wake up unrested, and have daytime sleepiness, and want to nod off during my drive home from work. Had a sleep study that confirmed that I have it severely. I hated using my CPAP in the beginning - it was hard to get used to. But I persisted, and now can't imagine not using it. Mine has a heated humidifier that helps keep my nasal passages moist, and it has helped with my allergies. My machine has a 'memory card' in it that I can send to my doctor's office to have it read to make sure my pressures are set correctly and I'm not stopping breathing when I sleep. It's very dangerous to not use a CPAP if you have sleep apnea - you can die in your sleep or suffer a heart attack or stroke because your brain and organs aren't getting enough oxygen. I've worn an oximeter to check my oxygen levels, and mine used to fall dangerously low. I lost a very thin high school friend to it - she had sleep apnea and refused to wear her CPAP mask. Also, sleep apnea is a physical 'structural' condition. It's when your airway collapses when you sleep. The surgery to open the back of one's throat rarely works, and is very painful. Losing weight can help, but it isn't found in only heavy people. I'm 5'7" and weigh 130 so I'm not overweight.
    ...See More
  • goldgirl
    10 years ago

Lars - DH was diagnosed with this a number of years ago. He didn't have such a severe case that he would fall asleep during the day, but he often says now that he never realized just how tired he was. Although it took awhile to get used to the mask, once he did, he used it consistently and it changed his life dramatically. In fact, he's always trying to talk people into getting sleep tests. He also lost some weight - the doctors explained that people unconsciously eat more when they're tired in an attempt to stay awake.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who wear CPAP machines these days.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Lars, It is a PITA but necessary. The HG has been sleeping with a CPAP for 15 years; I'm sure you will follow the rules better than he does. For example, I bought him wipes, which he never uses. He does get blisters on his face due to the mask rubbing, then the mask keeps it irritated. There is a silicon cushion which helps keep the mask from rubbing, that and a good fitting mask.

He does have a smaller CPAP for travel and an converter plug for European travel.

I recall that he did feel dramatically better once he stated getting restful sleep.

It's an adjustment for sure, good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wipes

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Elery was also diagnosed with sleep apnea and has the mask/machine. He never did get used to it and cannot sleep with it on, so he doesn't wear it, although he tried for months. He got less sleep with the mask than he did without it.

I hope you have better luck adjusting.

Annie

• riverrat1
    10 years ago

Lars, You are getting great advice!

I remember about 14 years ago watching my DH in church falling asleep and I would have to elbow him ;-) to stay awake . I knew then that something was wrong. Now this is a one hour period of time. I counted 30 yawns from him .Most nights he is awakened by a few phone calls (work) but always seemed to be fine...until that church day.

His sleep study showed that he was never in a deep sleep (REM) and his body was in danger of a stroke or heart attack.

We now sleep with the Mask of Star Wars....I'm so happy that he did a sleep study and he is doing waaay better.

I hope that you will adjust to this as my DH has. .

• annie1992
    10 years ago

RR, Elery fell asleep in Chicago at the theater during Phantom of the Opera.

I have found that since he retired, he gets more sleep, so maybe that will help. He's sleeping in the recliner right now but he'll be up and awake by 6 am. He said the mask was so restrictive that he'd have dreams that he was tied up or restrained and he'd get the hose all messed up because he rolls all over when he sleeps.

His doctor says that at least half of the patients who are prescribed the mask cannot or will not wear them. There is a small device that fits in the nostrils called Provent, but it doesn't work if you breath though your mouth at night. You do have to wear a new one every night and so they are more expensive.

So, if the mask doesn't work there are some other options, I'm sure your doctor will be glad to discuss them with you.

I do hope they get you all straightened out and you feel great soon!

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Tue, May 21, 13 at 1:31

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I feel so exhausted this morning, especially compared to yesterday morning, that I want to start using the mask as soon as possible. I slept very well with it on - even in a strange bed - and my only complaint was saliva/drool all around my mouth inside the mask when I woke up. I think if I can get one that fits properly, I should be okay, but I am amazed and how different I felt yesterday - perky all day - compared to how I feel now, and I got more than more normal sleep last night. I'll have to see how the day goes - I might feel better by afternoon. Maybe after my second cup of tea I will be more awake.

I do want to try Provent as well, so that I can use that while traveling instead of having to lug the mask and pump around. Kevin and I plan to go to Italy in 2005 for his 50th birthday, and I do not want to be tired while there. I do not fall asleep during movies (unless they are extremely boring), but my BIL falls asleep many times during the day. He has narcolepsy instead of sleep apnea, however. My sister got tested for sleep apnea and found that she definitely does NOT have it. I'm afraid Kevin may develop it later in life, but I do not know whether our other brother has it. I think our sister would have told us if he did.

Thanks for all the comments - they are extremely helpful, and I feel less alone in this situation now. I understand that it is a fairly common problem among men my age, and it perhaps may be underdiagnosed.

Lars

• compumom
    10 years ago

I'm proud of you that you recognize the difference in how much better you felt after a partial night's sleep with the cpap. I know that it's not fashion forward (or maybe it is...) but your well being now and in the future will be enhanced!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Remember to keep it clean. My former boss used one and would come to work sneezing his head off, something to do with not keeping the CPAP machine clean.

Honestly, when I am going through sleepless spells I would sleep in a Frankenstein mask if it would help me sleep. Good luck.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

My dentist is pushing some sort of mouth guard/insert for sleep apnea. Your dentist might be a good source of info. I really don't know that everyone with sleep disorders need a mask and breathing device you probably just need to keep your throat from relaxing and closing during sleep. (Listen to me, the breathing doctor!). I do believe that not breathing properly during sleep is a potentially serious issue, but I would check out other options.

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

Lars - Advice from DH is to try putting the machine itself on the floor, if you're not doing so already. Apparently helps somehow.

He had the same issues as you originally, but it took some trial and error to get the right fit. Once he did, it became second nature. In fact, if he doesn't wear it one night, he feels it the next day because he's tired and his throat hurts.

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I already have a mouth guard from my dentist, and I asked about other mouthpieces that could be used in place of the machine, but apparently the forced air is an important component. At this point, I am ready to deal with it because it made me feel so much better. I wore my mouth guard in addition to the mask Sunday night.

Goldgirl, I may not have room on the floor next to my bed, but I could possibly put it under my bed. If I have to, I can build a little table or stand for it. We built a roof for our outdoor epiphillum shelves on Sunday, and I am a furniture designer by profession!

Lars

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Oh, Lars, you are at the beginning of a new journey to a vital and necessary, increasingly necessary, aspect of good health. I have had severe obstructive sleep apnea, sosa, for the last 6 years. My most recent sleep study no. is 49, means that I stop breathing, for periods of 10 seconds or more, an average of 49 times an hour.That no. puts me in the severe category. I feel crummy almost all of the time. It exacerbates my already painful ailments of osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, among others. The recent download from my cpap showed an average night of sleep of 3.8 hours.

It took me a long time to get adjusted to the correct flow of air(titrated). Perhaps about 6 years til I found a reasonably decent fitting and not leaking cpap and mask. I now mouth breathe and a full mask is the only one for me, so I am told. Steps forward and back for me.
    My cpap goes with me when I travel.

After about 6 years post diagnosis, I am finally welcoming this machine with the right attitude and physical ability to wear this particular mask. Been a longish road, but I am grateful. Still not good but I keep improving, with giant steps.

I don't have wipes and I wash the cushion in the bathroom sink, oh, about weekly. The doctor said that is fine and she tells me about several patients whose dogs lick and carry around their masks and cushions. Poo, poo, you're ok, my doctor tells me-regarding my seemingly infrequent washings of the cushion and tubes.

Obesity and weight gain are related and in a chicken/egg dance. I think it's a relatively new science, esp. when the doctor says things that don't make sense to me. But it HAS made giant steps.

It is a very, very, good thing that you had an effective sleep period, which showed you how good you could/should feel when you get enough restorative sleep. I didn't have that good effective sleep period for approx 6 years. I am thrilled for you. Keep us posted. Btw, dentists can fix mild to moderate osa, but not severe. Good luck

• westsider40
    10 years ago

I welcome the forced air, big warm welcome. Without it, I don't breathe-I have long, frequent periods of apnea.

Also, it helps me to sleep if my feet are toasty warm-so I sleep with 2 prs of socks and warm boot slippers.

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally got an appointment to be fitted with a CPAP mask, but the earliest they could see me is June 19! I called yesterday to find out why my doctor had not called me, only to learn that the doctor's office had not yet received the results from the apnea test that I had taken more than a week earlier. After my call, they got the results fairly quickly. I have to see a sleep specialist for the mask, and he is taking vacation this week (or next week), which is why I cannot get an earlier appointment. I will have to go in the middle of the day (which they hate for me to do here at work), and I have no idea how long it will take.

I was hoping I could get an earlier appointment, as I am anxious to get treatment for the apnea, which I now know is making me tired all the time. I did okay for the time I was in Arizona, even when hiking at 6700 feet at Chiricahua National Monument, where I got in free with my senior citizen national parks ID card! I did have to buy a hat at the gift shop when we got there, however. We took lots of good pictures and some so-so video of the hike. I'll try to post some of that later this week. I put the GroPro camera on Kevin's head but had it pointed straight ahead, but he frequently had his head turned down so that he could see where he was going. We hiked to "The Grotto", and that part has some good video. I thought I was going to get more tired than I did, but most of the hike had little change in elevation, although it started at 6700 feet - high enough for me to notice a lack of oxygen.

Lars

This post was edited by publickman on Wed, May 29, 13 at 17:23

• compumom
    10 years ago

Hi Lars,
    There's no endorsement on my part, but this article was in yesterday's valley paper.
    I thought you might find it informative.

E

Here is a link that might be useful: Sleep Apnea- Cpap Alternatives

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Lars, good luck with your mask, I hope you get all the best from it. My sister has had one for the last two years and she's thriving on better sleep, more energy, just feeling so much better overall. She took it with her when visiting her daughter in NC, then took her 4 year old granddaughter back to her hotel to stay with her there, not knowing what she might think of the Grammy In The Mask. No problems arose, it was fine :) She did have a bit of chaffing, and went to the office with some red marks on her face until fully adjusted but that period was very brief.

My brother in law has since had the study and wears one, as does his sister. The results seem to be well worth the effort, and I hope you do well with yours.

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got a call from the sleep doctor's office, and he has agreed to see me Tuesday, June 14 at 4:30 PM and will keep his office open late that day for my appointment. Yesterday my own doctor had called me, and I told him how anxious I was to get treatment, and so he arranged for this appointment.

Yesterday I got some of the nose strips that are supposed to help allieviate snoring, and it seemed to help last night. I noticed a difference as soon as I put it on, but unfortunately it fell off in the middle of the night and ended up on my left palm. I had washed my face and especially nose very thoroughly before putting it on, and it stuck tight at first, but I think the oil in my skin caused it to loosen. Or it could have been sweat, but my nose was oily again in the morning, and so I thought that was what it was. Anyway, I am very happy that I will not have to rely on the nose strips for the three weeks until June 19! They will get me through the week-end, however.

Thanks for that link, Ellen. I looked at it yesterday, and there seemed to be more information then than today. I thought I had seen something about the nose strips that I bought.

Lars

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Well, as a matter of fact, I'm getting fitted for a nasal pillow tomorrow. One interesting thing I learned through this process: snoring or not snoring do not necessarily correlate with sleep apnea. Westsider, apparently you and I have the same afflictions. Lars, everyone, I'm putting you in my prayers and meditations. This has been part of a neurological work-up that began in February (I think) and is ongoing (and feels endless). I walk my dogs four to six times a day, which should make me feel better, but seems to make things worse. I'm so fatigued and frustrated.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 10:26

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchendetective, I hope the pillow works for you, and I will pray for you as well.

I am still waiting for my mask. I went to the sleep specialist Tuesday afternoon, but all I got from him was a prescription for the mask and a long consulatation describing the severity of my problem and possible consequences. My case is so severe that it made a big impression on the doctor, and my results were twice or three times what is normally considered severe. I asked the doctor if results like mine were common, and he said "No" rather emphatically. I was crying in his office before I left but managed not to let the doctor see this. Then I went home and called my sister to tell her what the doctor had told me, and she thought he should have given me better information or that I should have had someone with me when I went to the doctor. I went to bed early on Tuesday, had horrible nightmares, and then could not sleep for two or three hours. In the morning I took the prescription to a facility that distributes the masks, and they told me that it would have to be delivered from Bakersfield and that I would have it Thursday or Friday. I was hoping to get it yesterday, as it is getting more difficult for me to cope with this issue.

Yesterday after work I tended my orchids, and this cheered me up considerably, as the orchids are doing much better than I am and are growing well. One of them has several spikes with lots of flower buds, and one of the buds opened yesterday to reveal a beautiful dark purple flower. I couldn't remember what the flowers were going to look like, and I had thought they were going to be yellow, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see the dark purple, as it is one of my favorites. I was pretty amazed at how much better the flowers made me feel, but I guess that's why people receive them in hospitals. Several of my orchids have grown so much that they will need to be repotted fairly soon. I'll photograph the purple orchid in the next day or so and post its picture here.

Westsider, my test results were above 60, and one of the results was above 90, but I don't remember what the numbers mean. I guess eventually I will get to see the test results, but so far it has been difficult for even the doctors to get copies of the results. However, they did act swiftly, once they received them.

Lars

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Lars, I'd like to send you some encouraging words-to help the sad and upsetting feelings. It's good that you are on the path to getting this apnea fixed. For some, adjusting is relatively quick. Your positive attitude will help.

One of many things I learned-Don't blame yourself if masks and titration take some adjustment time. It's not you. Sleep medicine is a relatively new science and the professionals fumble along. I felt that, at best, my previous doctors had been less than forthcoming perhaps due to the rubber-stamp protocol and training. Believe in your own smarts. If the mask is leaking, it's leaking and not your fault. Sounds obvious but this is a new game.

Mustangs, re face blisters and mask rubbing-I just started, with sucess for leaking, using a product called Remzzz's. Little expensive pieces of soft fabric to place between the silicone and face. Works well. Check the Amazon reviews. Also, can use 3 or 4 at a time.

Also, Lars, here's an example. The doctors, I think, should tell you to keep the cpap on a table, not on the floor, so the air will blow properly. Tho the subject may not have yet arisen.

For twisting of the tube, there are tube holders that sit above the bed to avoid messing the tube with pillows, covers and one's bod. See resmed on Amazon. Keep this in mind for later, not necessarily now.

I am learning that there are things to help each of us but each professional may not know of or offer those things. I wish I had been told earlier about remzzz's.

Annie, re Elery's mouth breathing, I, too, do, so I was switched to a full, rather than partial, face mask-air is forced into my nose and mouth at the same time.

Re travel with cpap-At O'hare the TSA folks have told me that many, many travelers go with their machines, like me. Again, a new science.

Lars, your orchids are uplifting and you will keep feeling better and better. I don't understand why a simple phone call by you can't get you copies of your test results. You are entitled to them. Once you have a copy, you can forward it as you wish.

Good luck. Keep checking here. We don't have all the answers but maybe we have a few clues.

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts, Westsider - you are very helpful and encouraging.

I finally got my machine yesterday afternoon, but I got very bad instructions with it - over the phone! The people who dispense the machines are merely clerks and are not allowed to help people with the machines, and so they made a phone call for me to the registered technician in Bakersfield. They asked me if I wanted it on speaker phone or did I want to hold the handset - while I am trying to put on a mask!! That's how stupid they were.

The first mask I tried on did not fit, but the technician made me waste a lot of time trying to make it fit, possibly because she could not hear me with the mask on, and she certainly could not see me or what kinds of problems I was having. I told them that I was very uphappy with doing this over the phone, and they said that if they sent someone to my house, they would still be on the phone with someone in Bakersfield. I asked them why they were not using Skype - I was sitting in front of a computer when trying on the mask, and it would have been a simple matter to have had a video conference with the technician - and much more efficient.

Anyway, I was unable to get the mask set up last night because I was too exhausted, and so I will try again this evening.

Lars

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last night I used the mask for the first time since I had the test at UCLA, and I do feel much, much better today. However, it was not a complete success because at 3:00 AM it started spraying water (probably saliva) into my mouth, and I started choking as it went into my windpipe. I woke up immediately, took the mask off, and noticed that it had a liquid in it at the bottom, and so I set it on my nightstand to dry and lay back down. I was planning to rest for 10 minutes and put it back on, but I fell asleep and did not wake up until 4:50, when I was having a bad dream about the mask. While I was dreaming, I thought I was awake and merely waiting for the mask to dry. I was shocked to find out that almost two hours had passed. Anyway, I got the mask back on and slept well until 6:15, which is when I generally first wake up. I don't really get up until about 7:00, but I do make or heat tea some time before seven to have in bed while I was the first 20 minutes of CBS This Morning.

So I got about six hours of sleep with the mask and two hours without. I'm going to have to call the mask people and find out how to prevent the choking from happening again. I have adjusted to the mask very well and did not want to go back to sleep at 5:00 AM without it. I feel so much better with it on because I can breathe so much better, and it does not interfere with my sleep, except when it got wet.

Here's a photo of my hybiscus that put out a new flower yesterday, helping my mood! It likes to bloom in the summer, but the one I have in the front yard generally blooms in spring and fall, I think.

Lars

This post was edited by publickman on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 12:14

• westsider40
    10 years ago

That hibiscus is beautiful and you are a terrific photographer. How in the world do you capture such itty bitty detail-the yellow and orange, stamen, I think? Nifty ruffles. I have four perennial winter hardy hibiscus, here in the freezing tundra of Chicagoland. They make me smile, too and the bushes are now growing nicely. Should flower in approx a month.

Yes, Why am I not surprised at how stupid,(perfectly fitting word) they are. Not surprised. Why cant they just send a tech-why the need for the Bakersfield person? Makes no sense to me. The thing is-don't let you get yourself upset at this.

I certainly am interested in knowing why the spray-and what the explanation is.

It's great that you are adapting well to the masks. And you have a great attitude. Simply, you now know you have this apnea, and you just want to fix this apnea, and you are feeling way better the next day after some treatment. Six hours plus two hours is excellent.

Don't let any of this frighten you. Remember, you have been sleeping all of your life, pre dx.,so you know you can do ok without apnea treatment-it's just that everything will be much better. I understand what you are feeling, I commiserate, and wonder the same things as you.

One foot in front of the other. One step at a time.

Dream time is uber good time, restful.

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on the photo, but the camera did all the work!

As it turns out, the humidifier was set too high. I called Bakersfield yesterday, and they told me to turn it down from 3 to 2 - they had originally recommended setting in on 3, but I think they did not realize that my bedroom has 65% humidity, and so the air was not dry like it is in Bakersfield. I talked to my sister about it yesterday evening, and she said I should turn it down to 1 if my room already has comfortable humidity. Anyway, I ended up turning it down to 2, and I was awoken at midnight with more water spraying into my face, and so I turned it down to 1, and that seemed to do the trick. I woke up one more time during the night to make some adjustment, and it seemed that I have not moved since falling asleep. Now when I sleep I firmly plant my face into the mask so that I can breathe (it is actually comforting to me), but I seem to wake up in the same position and a bit stiff from not moving. Maybe I should call Bakersfield again.

Yesterday afternoon I started feeling wired and thought that maybe I should have skipped my afternoon tea. I still need my morning tea (I think), but I may not need the stimulation in the afternoon now. I feel like a completely different person now, and that is a bit disturbing to me - I am afraid that I might have returning anxiety attacks. Before the sleep mask, I was too tired and sleepy to have anxiety, but with the mask, I feel like I have just been taken off of Valium, and so I feel a bit edgy. I think this may wear off or subside in a few days, but for now I have a fear of being annoying to people because I have so much energy. I'll have to find a way to use this energy that won't bother people, but I have a tendency to talk too much, and I know this can be annoying. Kevin has been avoiding me the last couple of days also, but perhaps he is just tired. He has always been a bit lethargic, and when he first moved in with me, I did all I could to get him to be more active - with only partial success.

I also fear that my forum posts might become more aggressive, for lack of a better word. One co-worker has already noticed a drastic change in my behavior.

Lars

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I just wanted to say that I have not abandoned this thread, but wanted to report after giving myself a couple of weeks of adjustment time. That period ends this coming Friday. Progress is awkward and subtle, but is still progress. I confess to having had a bit of skepticism--now that I've been reading more about sleep studies and CPAPs. It's not that I doubt pulse oximetry readings and the like, but sleep apnea is starting to sound like the diagnosis du jour, and every illness and syndrome known to man, woman, and child is being ascribed to it, if you read enough chats and articles. Still, I do believe this is at least one of my health concerns, and I am doing my best to pursue this lead and follow the prescriptions of my neurologist, whom I respect.

Lars, I'm concerned about your change in mood and/ or affect. That would be something to mention to the physician who interpreted the sleep study, no?

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KD, I have an appointment tomorrow around lunch time with the doctor who prescribed the mask, as a 10 day follow-up. I am definitely going to talk with him about my mood changes, as I have been feeling anxious every morning, and some days it lasts on into the afternoon. It reminds me of when I was in my 20s and had frequently anxiety attacks, for which my psychiatrist prescribed Librium, which took care of that. However, I do not want to be dependent on Librium in order to feel normal, as people develop a tolerance to it over time. In my early 20s I was diagnosed as borderline schizophrenic because I had paranoid delusions and some minor hallucinations, which I had interpreted as visions of a parallel universe or alternate levels of consciousness/reality that I would/could slip in and out of. I think this may have been caused by a chemical imbalance, but it also could have been a heightened awareness that I thought everyone experienced until I was told that such was not the case. I wrote stories about some of these experiences, and some of them were published as science fiction even though they were real experiences from my point of view.

I'm not sure what a sleep pillow is - is it related to a CPAP machine? I am unaware of sleep apnea being overdiagnosed - in my case I feel that it was underdiagnosed, and I wish it had been discovered sooner - before I gained too much weight. I do feel that I am now able to lose weight, but I also feel that my appetite has increased and perhaps I need to take an appetite suppressant. I am starting to eat dinner earlier and then I am not hungry later at night, but I wake up hungry, and that never used to happen.

While I appreciate the new-found energy that I have, I do not like the anxiety that accompanies it.

Lars

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I am reassured that you'll be talking with your doctor.
    A nasal pillow is a small--relatively-- silicone mask that fits just over the bottom of the nose and into the nostrils, attaches to a hose, and then to a CPAP machine. I've started to have sinus and rhinitis issues that I've not experienced for many, many years, so I am a bit frustrated, but am pressing on. I was able to sleep through the night for the last two nights, so I suppose I am adjusting. Perhaps this is too much information, but I usually fall asleep cuddling my husband, and now I can't do that because of the mask. That bothers me.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Lars,
    I hope your appointment went well. I'm seeing the respiratory therapist again tomorrow. Somehow "Oh, your sinuses just have to adjust" doesn't sound like the most complete advice to me.
    Westsider,
    It took six years?
    It's interesting to hear about feeling a profound difference in energy after one night. I cannot say the same.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Lars: I have followed your health issues with interest as I have hypothyroidism and my SO was just diagnosed with sleep apnea about two years ago. He, like you, noticed a big difference the first night and won't travel without his machine. He doesn't need naps in the day time anymore and the "snoring from hell" is a thing of the past.

I am wondering if you are on thyroid medication and if so, if your dose might be the cause of your anxiety. When I went up a dose once (and without thinking quit calcium at the same time), it was too high and spent several nights totally wired and unable to sleep till we figured it out. Once I went back to my lower dose, everything was fine. Hope your problem is something that simple and you get answers soon!

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lizbeth, I had hypoparathyroidism, which was cured by a parathyroidectomy that did not affect my thyroid gland. I believe one parathyroid gland was removed because of a tumor, but then we have four of them to start with, and so losing one is not really a problem, and I am not on thyroid medication. Some of my BP medication might affect calcium, but I'm not sure. My doctor told me to take D3 supplements to help keep by calcium in balance, but after they parathyroidectomy, I have not had a calcium problem.

I had my appointment yesterday around noon, and my boss was made at me when I got back because the appointment took so long, and she had incorrectly read my email about the time that I was going to be back. I did not miss anything urgent by being out of the office - she merely wanted to tell me which fabric she had selected for a couple of chair, and she had written this information on a note. Then she told me that my brother should have diagnosed my sleep apnea years ago, and so I guess some of this was his fault!

The sleep specialist doctor told me that my anxiety is not caused by the sleep mask, and that I need to discuss it with my regular doctor. I feel like I am reverting to the personality I had in my 20s, and that would make me significantly more immature, which would not be a good thing. I'm thinking I might need to go back to taking Librium, but I also think that a change in diet my help getting my body chemistry in balance, although I do not think it has ever been in balance before.

KD, I hope your appointment with the respiratory therapist went well. I think my sister sees one. I have not really had sinus problems with the mask, and I think that breathing the filtered air help.

Lars

• westsider40
    10 years ago

I went thru some old records and I was wrong about the six years. I think it's 4, which is still a long time. And yes, it has not been an easy journey for me. It is again very difficult these past few weeks. I had hoped that I would have been able to just pop on the mask, go to sleep and everything wd be fine and that didn't happen.

I have insomnia along with other maladies. Just after my sosa(severe obstructive sleep apnea) diagnosis, I had surgery for a septal deviation and I don't think that was a rousing success, but I cannot recall the level of breathing difficulty I had, but it ain't perfect now. A nose spray helps occasionally. My sleep dr. calls it or me.....complex. (sounds polite, wouldn't you say?)

Lars, interesting that the sleep dr. feels that the mask is not the cause of your anxiety and of course that's true, but anxiety is still a common reaction to the mask. And this kind of leads into what I was thinking in my earlier posts-about it being a young science, and believing in your own gut, and "sleep dr., just fix me-in the current imperfect state that I'm in. Yes, I have a few warts, anxiety being the one wart in the forefront now, but ..."

Otoh, maybe these newly diagnosed sleep problems bring every big and little complaint, imperfection, trouble, symptom to the front and center of our worlds,--I cannot clearly articulate what I'm thinking--Is this the case that, finally, someone is paying attention and we have to spill our guts with each malady plaguing us? or should I just speak for myself, in this instance?

Lars, why do you think your body is not in balance? Unless you have lab results that tell you of this imbalance? There's a lot of 'good health' in your activities, such as your wonderful hikes, and your gardening, and cooking, and jack of all around your house,--and certainly your artistic abilities to see art wherever you look, and I'm not referring to your professional work capabilities but your vision as a layperson/human -altho that's mental rather than physical. I just think you have a lot of good health showing, too.

Perhaps there is a component to these sleep issues where the patient becomes more aware or somehow feels a need to discuss/ address each big and little thing? Does a sleep dx open a can of worms? And then does the sleep dr. adequately respond? or kick it to a colleague? Is it just because a forum for complaints opens up? I dunno.

I don't even remember everything, The headgear used to pull my longish hair out. After sleeping with a satin shmattie over my hair, under the headgear, I finally cut my hair.

I had nasal deviation surgery. I did finally start losing weight, about 40 lbs. so far and I'm eating the same! (Getting your attention, now?lol) I addressed my pulmonary problems and now take a boatload of pricey drugs. Lotta babbling on my part, here.

• Lars
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WS, I also do not think that the mask per se is the cause of my anxiety because I do not feel anxious when I put it on each night, and it really does not usually bother me that much because I can feel the difference in my breathing. The anxiety happens the next morning, and I begin to feel jittery and on edge. I remember having feelings like that all the time when I was in my 20s, but I thought that was normal and that everyone felt that way. Anyway, I think it is an underlying issue that I have that was able to surface only when the sleep mask allowed my energy level to get back to normal. Before that, it was like I was always on Valium, and now it feels like I have been on Valium and have suddenly been taken off of it, along with withdrawal symptoms. This is why I say I may have a chemical imbalance - because it may be normal for me to feel anxious and jittery. I noticed when I was in New York that no one had a problem with my being that way, but it seemed to irritate people in San Francisco, which is where I lived most of them time in my 20s. I spent a good deal of time in Mexico (mostly Mexico City), and it was not an issue there either, nor did I feel a problem when I was in Vancouver. In fact, when I was in Vancouver, I felt an exhilaration and was happier than I was anywhere else. Maybe it has something to do with energy currents in the Earth, but I do know that my moods change with geographical change, and I feel that I can sense different energies in different places - some have a calming effect (as in Oregon), and some have an irritating effect.

Please continue to babble as much as you please - I feel like I do a lot of that myself! I do appreciate all of your comments. I will add to this later this week-end.

Here is a photo of a bromeliad that I bought at the plant show at the L.A. County Arboretum a couple of weeks ago. It is an outdoor bromeliad, meaning that it needs a fair amount of sun, although it also requires partial shade in order for its leaves to display the colors properly. I have it in the pergola with a lot of other bromeliads with similar light requirements.

Lars

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Glorious photograph! I have many reactions to what you both have written, especially head-nodding agreement about there being so much that is healthy in your activities, Lars, the hiking, gardening, cooking (!), baking, ability to see beauty. About resonances of places, I believe some of us function sort of like antennas--we pick up on vibes and we are pretty aware of it. I do not want to sound too hippy-dippy, because I do have a strong science background, but I believe this strongly. My DH has noticed it about me. Many people tell me I'm too sensitive, and I have even envied those who have tough hides and never seem to feel hurt or know that they have hurt others or be aware of the human dangers about them, but this is the way it is for some of us. Westsider, I do not mind hearing about afflictions and even subtle health observations because I find these things fascinating and because sometimes they will jog recognition in others. Another thought, a rapid end to chronic oxygen deprivation because of sleep issues could definitely trigger the higher energy levels that in one's past were associated with undesirable feelings or behaviors. So, it's not the mask itself, but underlying personality/energy functions that a physician who understands your history needs to help you sort out. Of course, you already know this.