SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

advice and prayers needed regarding severe flooding

loves2cook4six
13 years ago

My mom and sister live in Nashville in River Plantation. Their Condo has about 4-5 feet of water in it. EVERYTHING they own is on the first floor and presumably ruined...from important papers, computers and furniture to toilet paper.

Thank the lord neither was home, my sister is in Miami, my mom is with me. However a friend went there today and looked through the windows. The fridge is floating in the kitchen. They had just moved in and hadn't even completely unpacked yet. There are boxes floating through the rooms. Apparently my mom's car, 6 weeks old, has floated down the street and is about 6 houses away. My sister can get back hopefully tomorrow as the airport is still closed. My mom can't go back until Sunday (family obligations and as she puts it - "that's all stuff, family is more important"). I will go back with my mom to help as much as possible.

So my questions are...what now, where do we start? Presumably every flooding service in Nashville and surrounding areas is overworked and has a wait list. Presumably every dehumidifier for miles is sold out. I can bring stuff with me but we won't be there for at least a week.

They don't have flood insurance and it hasn't been declared a disaster area, yet. If it is, what kind of help can they expect?

Fortunately they have some good friends they can stay at for a while until they can get back in the condo so at least they have a dry bed and good company.

While friends can help, for the most part they are dealing with their own problems, so for at least the next few weeks it is just the three of us.

I would really appreciate any and all advice from anyone who has BTDT, and prayers for my family and all the thousands of others effected by the floods.

Thanks

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!