Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How about our friends in Texas?

Posted by cloudy_christine (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 11:13

I'm glad to hear that CFers in the southeast are okay after the terrible tornado damage.
But has anyone heard if the wildfires in Texas have affected our members there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How about our friends in Texas?

They were all west of me. I don't know about some of the other members, but I'm thinking most live south of most of the fires.

The fires were very bad, and sadly killed at least two fire fighters, not to mention destroying dozens of homes. I did have a customer that has a friend that's a rancher in that area. He had to open the gates to his ranch so that the cattle could escape.

Thanks for asking.

Sally

o

I saw on the news that Texas is having a drought and March was the driest on record for decades. I'm sure hoping you guys get some rain, that's for sure, to help with the fires and everything else.

Those big ranches cover thousands of acres, I can't imagine trying to move that many cattle out of harms way.

Annie

o

My parents are slightly east of I35 and therefore east of the major fires (as well as south, I believe), but they are having a terrible dought and my father has to haul water to his cows every day, which means my mother has to do the driving since DF is legally blind and is on medication for Parkinson's. The drought is a slow disaster, compared to the fires and tornados. I think DF needs to do a rain dance, which he would if he knew how.

A warehouse burned last week in Temple, which is close to where my parents live and where DM used to go to church, until that burned down. Both of those fires were probably arson, however.

Lars

o

In North Central Texas and Northeast Texas, we've had rain all day today, and some yesterday. It's been very cool, too, way cooler than May usually is. Our high today was maybe 52 degrees. I made chile yesterday, and am making roasted vegetable soup today. I'm loving it. It feels like November! However, there's still so much of Texas that isn't getting the rain, and who knows when we'll see more. The drought is terrible.

Sally

o

It is as dry as I have ever seen it in the Texas panhandle. Worst drought conditions and no hope of any for the next 10 days. Every day is windy and I mean windy and every day is high fire alert. We've had small fires around us that the fire dept. got put out, but there have been some bad ones that burned many, many acres and many homes and barns. Please pray that we get rain soon, it is getting very serious!

o

Trixie, I was wondering about you. I wasn't sure where you were in relation to the fire areas. If only the rain that's swelling the Mississippi would go to Texas instead. The destruction in Alabama and other southeastern states seemed to take the attention away from the threats in Texas.

Lars, I hope your parents' farm gets rain soon.
Sally, I'm glad your area is safe.
I know May is all the way down in Houston.
Who else is in Texas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here