SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

I keep telling myself, 'Wait 'til it's done'...

colleenoz
12 years ago

We've been thinking about extending the house for years now, finally got some plans drawn up and then got a builder, submitted the plans to the local council and waited (our council tends to move slowly). Suddenly stuff is happening! It's all a bit of a shock.

You see, the extension involves demolishing a decrepit section of the house where our laundry, toilet and small dining room with the back door (and most-used entry into the house), and going out from there to build a family/dining room with a wide deck on either side, an office (so we can convert the current office back into a bedroom and finally have a spare bedroom!) and a new laundry and toilet. Older houses here do not have the toilet in the bathroom but have it in its own little room.

The hard part is our builder is not big on advance notice. Last Tuesday afternoon he came around to tell DH (I was working away in the city) that he would be around the next day to start the demolition. Poor DH had to move two rooms of furniture out into the main part of the house and find homes for it all, on his own. I am amazed he managed to get the sideboard all the way down the hall. The now doorless back part of the house also had to be secured somehow, it's a bit of a jury-rig but OK.

Next morning we discovered when we tried to shower with non-existent hot water that the HWS had been turned off to move it, and the guy who was supposed to reconnect it hadn't turned up :-( The next morning we not only didn't have hot water, we didn't have water at all because the plumber had turned up and without notice turned off the water for most of the day. I went in to work to have a shower there and do my laundry as we have no washer until the building is finished.

We were told they'd leave the toilet as long as they could, so we could organise a portaloo. As it turned out, at 6.30am yesterday the builder knocked on the door to ask if we'd used the loo yet, as it was about to go. Ack! Hadn't managed to track down a portaloo, so we didn't get one until late this afternoon as it had to be delivered from the city 100km away. You don't know how much you can miss a simple thing like a toilet :-) and how much of a drag it is to have to drive down to the park in a hurry several times a day.

And the reverse cycle airconditioner unit had to be moved. Today. Of course the aircon guys are booked for the next two weeks, so it can be moved but not reconnected, and it's getting COLD at night now so no heat until that's finished.

The big problem is we live in a small country town, and getting tradesmen of any kind is like pulling teeth as there aren't enough men and too much work for them (it's a state-wide problem) so we can't really say, "Go away until it's better organised."

So we just have to keep telling ourselves it will be lovely when it's all done. If we are still sane then ;-)

Comments (13)