SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

hypothyroidism osteoporosis

Lars
11 years ago

Today I went back to get my bone density scans completed, and then my doctor called me this evening to tell me that I have osteoporosis due to hypothyroidism and therefore need surgery to have my thyroid glands removed. I am not happy about this at all, but will make an appointment to see my endocrinologist and find out what he has to say. He will not be able to do the surgery himself, and I forgot the name of the surgeon that my primary doctor recommends for this, but I think I need to get more information about all of this. Also, my passport expired in February, and so I think the first thing I need to do is get passport photos for a passport renewal. I can schedule this for Saturday while DB is at The Avengers. I didn't want to go to the first screening of this movie, and so we will go together to a later screening in IMAX and 3D. Kevin will be going to just a 3D version on Saturday, as it is less expensive. I can mail in my passport renewal, as Kevin told me that they do not take renewals in person any more.

I am very concerned (and depressed) about having thyroid surgery. I have no idea what the repercussions will be - like will I have to take thyroid medicine to replace whatever it was the thyroid is supposed to do? Will it affect weight gain or loss? Will I be able to have plastic surgery on my neck at the same time? Fortunately, the medical group that I go to specializes in plastic surgery, and so I'm sure they will be able to help me with that. If I can get a neck lift along with the thyroid surgery, I think I will be okay with it. Otherwise, I may have to start wearing turtlenecks, as Kevin as suggested, but those are really too hot and uncomfortable for this climate.

The good news is that my orchid cactus plants are in full bloom at this time, and two bromeliads that have never bloomed for me are now starting to bloom. One already has open flowers, which I have posted in a previous thread, and the other one has just put out new spikes and is by far the largest bromeliad that I have. I will be very happy when the blooms start to open, which will probably take a couple of weeks or so, and may coincide with my surgery.

What should I expect from this surgery? I think the recovery is supposed to be very quick, but I think I should take a couple of days off from work just because.

Lars

Comments (41)