SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

White Cloud gets famous

annie1992
14 years ago

I was waiting in line at the grocery store and picked up the May issue of Family Circle, the one with the lilacs on the front. I was sucked in by "Walk off 10 pounds by summer", LOL.

Anyway, I flipped to a story on Share Our Strength and the Great American Bake Sale and what do I find on page 74 under "Bridging the Gap". Sigh. A local family. One I know. In White Cloud. There we were, with the statistic that 80% of the children in the White Cloud School District were eligible for reduced fee lunches, unemployment is rampant and kids are signing up for backpacks full of healthy snacks to take home. 20% live in "extreme poverty".

Now, this isn't anything I didn't know, heck, I live here. But having it noticed on a national basis is somewhat disconcerting. I know we struggled and we sometimes went hungry when I was a child, but I had hoped that life would be easier for today's children, but apparently not.

So, the next time you hear Sandra Lee pitch Share Our Strength, don't cringe. The bake sale money is going here too.

Annie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!