SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_in_pa

The Universal Alton Brown

Cathy_in_PA
11 years ago

My son's communication while at college is rather sporadic; kind of like a weekly injection. One way I can keep tabs on what he’s up to is to read his blog for Rhetoric. This was Friday's post. Made me smile.

Good Eats 3: The Later Years - Alton Brown

Some of my earliest and most powerful memories are of cooking with my mom. The crimson iridescence of a sliced strawberry, the sound of frying bacon (a standing ovation), the smell of proofing yeast…all are indelible sensations that permeate my childhood. And my culinary experiences weren’t just limited to the kitchen. The only TV stations I watched growing up were PBS and The Food Network (I wasn’t aware that others existed or that you could flip between them with a device called a “remote”). When I wasn’t tuning in to Kratts’ Creatures or Arthur and his anthropomorphic friends, I was learning how to flambé with Bobby Flay, filet halibut with Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto, and make Coq au Vin with Julia Child. Only one host, however, continually captivated me with his wildly inventive, mad-scientist approach to food. His name? Alton Brown. His game? Good Eats.

Good Eats 3:The Later Years is a hodgepodge of compiled episodes from Brown’s show. Chapters range from pretzels to pickles to pumpkin pie. In addition to more than 200 recipes, it also boasts an impressive array of trivia (did you know that broccoli means “little arms” in Italian?), nutritional recommendations (for example, pomegranates contain powerful antioxidants), and practical information (like how to properly sanitize a cutting board and maximize your dollar at a Megamart). An added bonus is the inclusion of behind-the-scenes photos from the show and schematics to make your very own sock puppet. And before you ask - yes, I made said puppet. And yes, it kicked butt.

Brown’s style is breezy, witty, accessible, and cogent. The book is hefty - 432 pages to be exact - but neither redundant nor verbose. I particularly appreciate how Brown demystifies the simple chemistry behind the cooking - it’s enlightening and useful to learn how mayonnaise is simply an emulsion or how crystallization ruins the texture of ice cream. What can I say? It’s well-written.

The bottom line: this isn’t your grandma’s cookbook, but it’s not trying to be. It’s extremely entertaining and also teaches a valuable skill that serves its readers well for the rest of their lives. As Alton Brown himself said, “Unless your kid is Pele Jr., they’re not going to be able to feed themselves from soccer. If your kid knows how to play soccer, but not make dinner, you have done them a disservice.”

Highly recommended.

ps One young woman commented: "My dad has recorded shows about making pickles and ribs and gone through the step-by-step instructions to make his own. Last summer, our entire fridge was filled with buckets of Alton Brown’s pickles due to a bumper crop of cucumbers. " One young man commented: A cook book I’ve been meaning to read is the “Four-Hour Chef” by Tim Feriss, I haven’t read it yet, but I have heard the author speak on it and it sounds interesting, another book that demystifies cooking. " Wow

Comments (8)