SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkguy

I'm coming out finally

pkguy
10 years ago

Yes folks I've been keeping this a secret for a short while now but what the heck I may as well just say it.

I'm diabetic.

I hadn't been feeling up to snuff the past few months if not longer but when things started to go noticeably wrong I started getting worried. Things like my vision getting blurrier, losing weight yet eating more to compensate and then the thirst.

My blood test came back extremely high and my doctor prescribed some Metformin and told me to get into the Diabetes Assoc to talk with a nutrionist and nurse about it, plus go get a glucose meter.

I set up the appointment for the following week and when they tested my level at the assoc it was even higher and seemed like the Metformin hadn't don't anything. I could tell the nurse was concerned. I didn't fit the profile of a type II diabetic or even a type I really but she said there are some people like that.

Anyways I headed home and no sooner got in the door and the phones ringing. It was the nurse who told me she'd already called my doctor about my even higher levels and he advised I get right over to him to pick up a script for Insulin etc then take that right away back to the Diabetes Assoc nurse. Talk about panic setting in and the feeling of doom that I was going to be sticking myself daily with insulin.

Oh and the doctor prescribed a different drug called Diamicron..

So I've been heeding all the dietary advice almost to a T. I was surprised to learn that Yes I can have an occasional piece of cake or pie. But in the meantime I'm not going there.. all prepackaged/processed foods I've eliminated over the past few weeks and what a difference. My stomach has never felt better, where I had some IBS like symptoms, those are pretty much gone. My eyesight which got even worse has improved so much that I no longer even require glasses to drive. I've used driving glasses for perhaps the last 10 years mainly at night. Now I can see a rat crossing the road a mile away at midnight, it's amazing.
Better yet after about a week on the insulin and my sugar level returning to normal, no more insulin, just one small pill a day for now.
My plan is that even that will be eliminated eventually, I hope so,, fingers crossed.

Oh.. and you thought this thread was about something else? I think we've been there already HA.

Comments (15)