SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

I dumped cable TV - very long technical report

Gina_W
11 years ago

I waited until my contract was up with the cable company, then pulled the plug. I got higher speed internet with FIOS, bought a Western Digital set-top box and got a trial membership with Netflix.

Last year I had the TV in the guest bedroom hooked up to super HD antenna set up outside. It brings in dozens of free channels. My mom loves it when she visits as there are multiple Korean language channels here in the L.A. area.

I am going to have the two other TVs in the house hooked up to the antenna as well.

What I discovered since dumping cable:

1) We don't miss it a bit.

2) The set top box (Western Digital, Roku, AppleTV) interfaces suck - even Apple TV.

3) The TV companies have not caught up with the new technologies available. Though a few makers like Samsung have come out with "Smart TVs" that supposedly hook up seamlessly to the internet and have apps that allow you to use Netflix or your favorite streaming video service. I can't speak for the new models.

My older Sony Bravia didn't hook up seamlessly to my wireless network and didn't come with any apps anyway, except for their own movie purchasing service. So I had to choose a set-top box.

My options were Western Digital, Roku and Apple TV.

None of them are perfect and none of them do everything. Each one you choose means you have to sacrifice some activity or service. So I had to weigh the options. I wanted to hook up to Amazon Prime, but Western Digital doesn't provide that service yet. Just as well, because I am watching stuff on my iPad while I cook or whatever, and Amazon Prime does not yet support Apple products - they want to grab memberships into their own Kindle line first.

I wanted to watch Youtube videos on high-quality TV, Roku doesn't offer Youtube, so I went with the Western Digital box. I'm a music freak - and lots of old and rare concert and television footage of rock bands are on Youtube.

I read reviews that said the WD box provides the best quality picture and boy does it ever! The picture quality is fantastic.

The Netflix unlimited streaming service is okay, but there is no mechanism to pay for anything that is not included in the unlimited service. So there are lots of programs not included. I plan to hook the TV in the bedroom up with Amazon Prime somehow - that's the next step.

Amazon Prime also has lots of included content, similar to Netflix, but offers the benefit of paying extra per download for premium or newer content. I've been an Amazon shopper and Kindle user for many years, so I know Amazon's quality level and I trust them.

Netflix? Not so good. The unlimited program has very limited content. There is no option to "own" either.

Apple TV? You have to use iTunes as your interface, and I have never been a fan of the iTunes software, even though I use it for music. The software is buggy, slow and overall it sucks. It is also bad at handling multiple gadgets, say your iPhone, your husband's iPhone, your iTouch and your iPad. Where Amazon handles your multiple gadgets seamlessly - you can start reading Hunger Games on your iPad, then pick it up where you left off on your iPhone while you are waiting for your car to get smogged, etc.

4) watching video on the iPad. I didn't plan on this but I tried it - downloaded the Netflix app, logged in and voila! instant streaming content. We find that since the bedroom TV is not hooked to anything yet, we are watching old Monk episodes and stuff on the iPad in bed.

Only problem now is the sound quality on the iPad is not good for this. I looked for a speaker dock system at Best Buy but they have also not yet caught up with user behavior - the iPad docks vertically and you watch videos on it horizontally. I found a couple of systems online that have rotating docks for this purpose, such as a JBL model - but it about $500! so I will not be pursuing that! There are wireless speakers available I may look into. I do have nice headphones, so I watched The September Issue with headphones on while DH was sleeping, LOL.

So that's the report of my foray into getting unplugged and using the available new technology for now. I'm not quite there yet, and I will post updates as they arise. Any of you with experience please chime in on what you are doing.

Comments (21)